Proving Grounds Endless Tanking?

I just came back to WoW after a pretty long (two year) break. I really like the idea of the proving grounds and the challenge modes, but I have to admit that I'm having a hell of a time with the endless wave. I feel like I'm roughly using my skills to their fullest, but eventually the damage is just too much. Has anyone else been able to do this fairly successfully in basic gear, i.e. ilvl 463 stuff plus timeless isle? I understand that having a ton of extra sockets from raid gear would be nice, but it's not really a luxury I have at this juncture. Is there some trick to gearing? After stamina didn't seem to be very helpful I've tried to boost my mastery, and that seems to help a little but not a huge amount.

I usually get stomped around wave 6 when the three flying large swarmers pop up. I'm trying to save shield wall for the beginning of phase 7 but it usually just falls apart around that time anyway. I also don't feel like I have a good way of dealing with the banana ambushers, as their attacks are apparently not affected by block.

This is killing me!

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I apparently can't post a link, but my character name is Kromp on Burning Blade :P

Intimidating Shout is your friend.

Really? I tried to use that once and it dropped off almost immediately. Under what circumstances does it cancel?

Did Endless DPS 30 and silver tank as DPS yesterday, might try endless tank but don't have any tank gear :3 Lots of help to find on the wowhead comments for the achievement.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I haven't tried as warrior tank but doing endless, I learned it was more than just popping defensive cds. CC (whatever you have) and kiting (even for just 1 second can be the difference between life and death) are huge. Sorry for not being able to help in more detail for your class lol. Oh I forgot, positioning the mobs in the fire without taking damage yourself is huge and pretty much required in the later waves (20+) so you don't get swamped with a million mobs.

For the ambushers, if shield block doesn't work maybe try using shield barrier.

From monk pov: On wave 2 with the millions of little dudes and 2 ambushers I would pop elusive brew and do my thing. When the first ambusher comes out I pop ring of peace. It's pretty important to get it almost dead when second one spawns. When it does I line it up in a way so my clash stuns all mobs. Then clean off the rest of the mobs.

wave 6: I use paralysis on furthest left wing guard, pop fortifying brew. Ring of Peace, when i get knocked back clash.

wave 9: pick up aggro, clash, pop cds, kite, pray for good rng lol. Idk about other classes but as a monk I couldn't tank everything and stand there.

That's about all I remember off the top of my head but it took me ages as brewmaster to get it. I've heard other people saying it was easy /shrug. I found it faceroll as blood dk. If you need any more help just ask.
    Last edited by blackpink; 2014-09-23 at 08:22 PM.

Good feedback for sure, and I think it's definitely arranged so that it challenges your ability to use cooldowns and kite judiciously. But that said, it still feels somewhat random to me and I'm having a pretty hard time making this stuff work consistently. But I'll keep at it and see if I can't manage to use threatening shout a little better.

I'd like to think that rng started favoring me towards the later wipes but it was probably more the fact that I was just getting better at it. Being in the right place before they spawn, pre-planning everything. Memorizing every little thing. Practice a lot, you'll need it. Ignore those who say it's easy. It's definitely not without the "bis" gear. (I did it with un-optimized gear as well).

I did up to wave 37-38 before I screwed up and lost concentration. My big tip, and the thing that really helped me get past 30, was use you're stuns and slows and don't be afraid to kite away. I took shockwave, and that was the key to surviving those little virmin things that apply the stacking bleed. Once the stacks started to hurt, shockwave the leap away and run until the stacks dropped. Make sure to position the adds in the lava pools if they are up as it helps get things down a little quicker. Save your fear for when you feel you're getting overwhelmed. Piercing howl can be good to help kiting too.

Also, don't forget the free lock cookies at the start.

Deleted
    Heya, I've recently completed up to wave 46 or 47 of the endless one as a warrior, there will definitely be some scary moments but the best advice I can give you is to try and map out what CD's you'd like to use on what wave and try to stick to that. You have Shield Wall every other wave, LS/RC/Demo Banner every 3 and Demo shout pretty much every wave depending on when you use it. Disarm and Intimidating Shout can be a big help on some waves as well to reduce the damage intake.

About the fire puddles, although they can be a very big help yes, don't go out of your way to try and take mobs into them, if you end up taking a few hits in the back or taking 2 stacks yourself, you might find yourself in trouble very quickly, above all, play it safe with them. And last but not least, Vigilance on the NPC for the damage reduction and unlimited taunts for it's duration to keep stuff off the NPC should be used as well.

For what it will do to help, this is what I did (I took Bloodbath as L90 talent and pretty much used this every wave to help DPS things down)

Wave 1:
    Simple tank and spank, use Shockwave to stun

Wave 2:
    Pop Reck/Skull Banner at the start and jump into the small adds
    Facetank until Banner drops -> Shockwave and charge the new add that spawns at this time, keep moving away to drop your stacks
    When they catch up, Demo Shout and finish them off

Wave 3:
    Wait in the middle for the two melee adds to reach you, TC -> charge the right firecaster, turn around and stun these 3 with SW
    Jump to the other caster, interrupt him and place yourself so that the melee mobs will be standing in a fire puddle when they reach you again
    Use BB and Spellreflect until end of wave

Wave 4:
    Start with the big one, Shield Block tank through the enrage and wait for the 3rd add to spawn to pick it up
    Shockwave stun them to start, Demo Shout after, Last Stand when demo has fallen off, you'll be taking a windsinger with you into the next wave, try to get it as low as possible.

Wave 5:
    Two melee adds will run towards you, TC to get aggro on them and leap towards the caster (keep the windsinger as target)
    Turn around and SW, as soon as the stun ends, you'll get knocked back if the windsinger is still alive so taunt immediately.
    Additional adds will spawn and run towards the middle so wait with taunting or grabbing aggro when they are in the inner ring so you can place yourself next to a fire puddle to aid in damaging them
    Use Shield Wall if you are taking more damage than you should, having a couple mobs up at one time can be pretty damaging here.
    Near the end you'll have some extra time to refocus, this is a bit of a reset wave before the second half

Wave 6:
    This wave gets a bit messy, target the MIDDLE windsinger at the start, pop all damage CD's and open up with TC into Shockwave.
    As soon as the stun drops, use Intimidating shout to send two of them away, leaving you to focus on the middle one.
    As fear is about to end, the single on you still have should be near death, set Mocking banner to deal with the aggro drops and use Demo Shout/Disarm for the last
    bit of having all 3 up. Can just blocktank the remaining two, make sure you focus on the same target as the NPC is. You'll be taking one or both Windsingers with you into
    the next wave

Wave 7:
    The start of this will be pretty high damage depending on how many Windsingers you have, keep focussing on them as primary target.
    TC to pick up the new pack and SW Stun while the NPC switches to AoE'ing them down.
    Demo Shout when the stun ends and Demo Banner/Rallying Cry for the last bit of having all the little ones up, use SW again as soon as it becomes available.
    You'll probably take the Conqueror into the next wave

Wave 8:
    Breathing wave again, the flamecaller will put fire puddles about, deal with this the same as you did with wave 5 though the damage intake is significantly higher.
    Position yourself so you can taunt new incoming mobs as they run to the middle and they end up in fire puddles. Get ready at the end of the wave for the hardest wave in the test. You'll be taking one mob with you to begin with.

Wave 9:
    Care, Very high damage wave, pop offensive CD's to speed this up as much as you can, pick up the group and start with SW stun.
    When SW drops -> Demo shout and put Vigilance on the NPC as you are about to be knocked about a few times. Don't put your back to the outer wall, you'll need to be
    able to taunt the Windsingers back asap. You'll probably have to HLeap or Charge at them at some point to keep up.
    You will have to Shield Wall in this to stay alive, so use it and your second SW for when the additional add spawns later in the wave, lock cookies to help if you drop low!!

Wave 10:
    Easy wave compared to your last, you will take 2 or so low health mobs from the last wave with you but it's no big deal.
    Important to note, pick up the big one with Taunt and start DPS on the caster first. The NPC's target isn't always the greatest in this so if you start on the Conqueror she might do as well and you need that caster down asap, his Pyro's hurt more than the Conqueror does. Focus the flamecaller first and position yourself so you can taunt the new incoming mob so that it'll be in fire when it reaches you.

Rince and repeat 3 times and gratz on your title!

Quote Originally Posted by Krom2040 View Post
    I just came back to WoW after a pretty long (two year) break. I really like the idea of the proving grounds and the challenge modes, but I have to admit that I'm having a hell of a time with the endless wave. I feel like I'm roughly using my skills to their fullest, but eventually the damage is just too much. Has anyone else been able to do this fairly successfully in basic gear, i.e. ilvl 463 stuff plus timeless isle? I understand that having a ton of extra sockets from raid gear would be nice, but it's not really a luxury I have at this juncture. Is there some trick to gearing? After stamina didn't seem to be very helpful I've tried to boost my mastery, and that seems to help a little but not a huge amount.

I usually get stomped around wave 6 when the three flying large swarmers pop up. I'm trying to save shield wall for the beginning of phase 7 but it usually just falls apart around that time anyway. I also don't feel like I have a good way of dealing with the banana ambushers, as their attacks are apparently not affected by block.

This is killing me!

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I apparently can't post a link, but my character name is Kromp on Burning Blade :P
    Nice. You are welcome back to WOW. Still stomped on wave 4 here. How do i improve?

This is killing me!

- - - Updated - - -

Few rule of thumbs. Make sure youre attacking what the panda is attacking. For the 3 flying dudes that hit entirely too hard, Shockwave/intimidating shout/shockwave again. For the rabbit rapist brigade let your stacks hit a point youre comfortable with, shockwave them, heroic leap away and let your bleed drop. You can use blood bath and demoralizing shout every wave. Shield wall every other wave.

This whole process is insanely frustrating. If I do anything even slightly wrong the whole thing goes to shit. I guess I can deal with that. But the irritating thing is when Sikari just chooses the worst imaginable target to DPS, like leaving the high damage caster just sitting casting pyro blasts for the ENTIRE WAVE. Or two wind callers jump her at the same time and I just can't peel them off.

It's definitely stopped being fun, but after getting into the high 20's on multiple occasions, I'm sticking it out.

Deleted
    This whole process is insanely frustrating. If I do anything even slightly wrong the whole thing goes to shit. I guess I can deal with that. But the irritating thing is when Sikari just chooses the worst imaginable target to DPS, like leaving the high damage caster just sitting casting pyro blasts for the ENTIRE WAVE. Or two wind callers jump her at the same time and I just can't peel them off.

It's definitely stopped being fun, but after getting into the high 20's on multiple occasions, I'm sticking it out.
    It's been quite a long time since I've done it now, but iirc Sikari follows a very simple (and controllable) order for DPSing targets. Something like use the AE thing if 3 or more targets alive (which is far more dps than her single target nukes, so you want to keep 3 alive as long as you safely can rather than dpsing one of them down fast and gimping her overall dps) and for single target she picks the current lowest hp target and nukes it until dead, then picks the lowest target at that time and fixates on that til it dies etc.. If you want to get her onto a caster asap, you need to make sure that the caster is the lowest hp mob after her current target. (I think.. been a long time so I might be slightly mistaken on her targetting functionality, but I do remember it was totally controllable)

For the case of two Wind Callers on her at once.. was Vigilance castable on her? If so that should solve that problem for you..

I assume Vigilance is, and I think that could be the answer to that problem if used very quickly. I was using mass spell reflect to give me an additional fireball avoidance, which was helpful but probably not *as helpful* as a well-timed Vigilance might be.

But in any case, I already completed this by just charging all over the place, got to wave 37!