Deleted

Poor Andy Murray

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...3217--ten.html

Usually I don't really give two tosses about Andy Murray but I gotta say a feel sorry for him after the abuse he received for simply stating a harmless opinion. I don't really understand why he's apologizing though o.O Just another example of Twitter twats, I won't repost the tweets here but the url shows some.

It'd be great if more people stopped getting offended by other people's opinions posted online. It's a shame that a notable portion of those flocking to sites such as Twitter can't function properly.

Don't worry, he'll win Wimbledon again and become "British" once more.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    And here I was wondering where the obligatory Adam thread of the day was. ^-^
    OT: Social networks started out as a cool Idea but theyve become infested with pure PC and SJ vitriol on top of your regular advertisement and spam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest; the man showed immense stupidity.

He can have an opinion, but expressing your support for Independence is not only a kick in the teeth to the millions of Brits who cheered him on at Wimbledon at the Olympics (where we won two medals for team GB) but more importantly to the Scots who didn't want independence.

For someone who had to climb an uphill battle to win public support this was a move of unprecedented foolishness, the fact that he did it on the day showed that it was a last ditch attempt to persuade voters to the yes camp.

And Tradewind I'm not so sure, I won't forget in a hurry that despite playing for GB at Davis Cup and the Olympics and despite winning sports personality of the year voted for by the British public Andy chose to support succession and put a middle finger up to those who supported him.

He could have been a symbol of unity, instead he's become a symbol of how not to conduct PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Melllvar View Post

He can have an opinion, but expressing your support for Independence is not only a kick in the teeth to the millions of Brits who cheered him on at Wimbledon at the Olympics (where we won two medals for team GB) but more importantly to the Scots who didn't want independence.

For someone who had to climb an uphill battle to win public support this was a move of unprecedented foolishness, the fact that he did it on the day showed that it was a last ditch attempt to persuade voters to the yes camp.

And Tradewind I'm not so sure, I won't forget in a hurry that despite playing for GB at Davis Cup and the Olympics and despite winning sports personality of the year voted for by the British public Andy chose to support succession and put a middle finger up to those who supported him.

He could have been a symbol of unity, instead he's become a symbol of how not to conduct PR.
    Yep all the British people love him... Just until a "real" Englishman is good at tennis again.

So what people aren't allowed to have opinions that differ from others just because they're famous?

I guess we should start raking everyone who supported independence over the coals...here's a list to start you off with:

Sean Connery
    Brian Cox
    Robbie Coltrane
    Rhys Ifans
    Ken Stott
    Michael Stewart
    Russell Brand
    Tommy Flanagan
    Frankie Boyle
    Gerard Butler
    Alan Cumming
    James Cosmo

The No's won, everyone is happy. This is just tabloid shit flinging going after people who expressed their opinions and it's disgusting for any democratic citizen to be encouraging it.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-09-23 at 08:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Geobram View Post
    Yep all the British people love him... Just until a "real" Englishman is good at tennis again.
    So much presumption on your part, if Andy Murray hadn't made those comments when he was very young then most English people wouldn't have had a negative opinion of him.

And despite those aforementioned comments Andy has always had the support of the Wimbledon crowds and the crowds of any tournament He's played in the UK.

The people who assume that Andy is only liked until an English player of the same calibre shows up? Well they're the sort of 'us and them' people who drove the yes campaign.

So much presumption on your part, if Andy Murray hadn't made those comments when he was very young then most English people wouldn't have had a negative opinion of him.

And despite those aforementioned comments Andy has always had the support of the Wimbledon crowds and the crowds of any tournament He's played in the UK.

The people who assume that Andy is only liked until an English player of the same calibre shows up? Well they're the sort of 'us and them' people who drove the yes campaign.
    God forbid someone expresses their opinion. I say its pathetic of any "so called" fan to get upset about this. Sport and politics aren't the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    So what people aren't allowed to have opinions that differ from others just because they're famous?

I guess we should start raking everyone who supported independence over the coals...here's a list to start you off with:

Sean Connery
    Brian Cox
    Robbie Coltrane
    Rhys Ifans
    Ken Stott
    Michael Stewart
    Russell Brand
    Tommy Flanagan
    Frankie Boyle
    Gerard Butler
    Alan Cumming
    James Cosmo

The No's won, everyone is happy. This is just tabloid shit flinging going after people who expressed their opinions and it's disgusting for any democratic citizen to be encouraging it.
    Sean Connery can wile away the hours in his Beverley Hills mansion, he's not the one who's gonna be playing in front of a 'home crowd' this July.

Also none of the these have 'represented' the GB in the way Andy Murray has, it's different for sportsman, very few people think in the vein of 'Sean Connery won an Oscar so that means Scotland won an Oscar'

I said quite openly that Andy Murray can have an opinion, but choosing to endorse a side on the day of the vote is moronic. He could have waited 24 hours and no-one would have cared.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So what were these "horrible" tweet? I don't see anything bad in the link.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    So what were these "horrible" tweet? I don't see anything bad in the link.
    The hate messages - one of which made reference to the 1995 Dunblane primary school massacre, which Murray survived

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    God forbid someone expresses their opinion. I say its pathetic of any "so called" fan to get upset about this. Sport and politics aren't the same thing.
    All this BS about 'everyones entitled to there opinion.' Blah blah blah, like parrots chiming pc nonsense.

Yes. of course everyone is as I said in the very first sentence of my first post, but in the world we live in today people don't keep their opinions to themselves even when it's in their best interests.

Andy could run around his house with a kilt on while listening to the proclaimers if he so wishes, but if he hadn't felt the need to go on the modern cancer that is twitter and proclaim his opinions then he wouldn't be in this public relations nightmare he's in now.

What a load of snivelling bullshit.

His comment was so innocuous compared to the other celebrity endorsements for the yes campaign.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    What a load of snivelling bullshit.

His comment was so innocuous compared to the other celebrity endorsements for the yes campaign.
    No matter how it was said, Andy Murray spoke when a smart person wouldn't have spoken.

No matter how it was said, Andy Murray spoke when a smart person wouldn't have spoken.
    Just keep whacking the fuzzy yellow ball and keep your mouth shut.

Sincerely,
    Your Fans.

It has nothing to do with being smart. Why should people be expected to never comment on an issue that is relevant to them? He did nothing wrong and the fact that he apologised strikes me as being something his PR team may have talked him into doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's allowed an opinion, expressing that you don't like his opinion is fair enough too, but Dunblane comments and stuff like that are way OTT.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...3217--ten.html

Usually I don't really give two tosses about Andy Murray but I gotta say a feel sorry for him after the abuse he received for simply stating a harmless opinion. I don't really understand why he's apologizing though o.O Just another example of Twitter twats, I won't repost the tweets here but the url shows some.
    He did make a silly comment (valid opinion even if i disagree), in the way he worded it and putting it out on polling day which traditionally people do not do things like this on.

But does not deserve the backlash, twitter is full of twats. Why people use it I dont know, its like the antithesis to actual communication.

Bad timing and judgement to announce support just a few hours before polling.

Other than that, feel sorry for the abuse. People take the independence issue as a personal slight. Apart from him sticking very much to his Scottish roots, the number of times he's waved the Union Jack should say more about him than this comment on independence.

It is possible to love both the UK and still want independence, but retard trolls treat them as if they're mutually exclusive. Perhaps Andy Murray just wanted what 45% of his home nation wanted and it should be left at that.