Question Building an Affordable and Upgradable PC - HELP

Hey Guys, first time posting here and first time I've considered building my own PC.

I know just enough about computers so that I don't get screwed over by good marketing.

To summarize:
    I'm an Average Joe who prefers PC gaming over console, but I've been stuck with Macs my whole life given that two family members work for Apple. Discounts/Tax write-offs made them the go-to product. However, as we all know, for gaming this is not ideal.

I'm looking for help to fulfill these requirements:

I play WoW at a high level (luckily for me this is actually manageable with a mac, albeit barely) and with the release of the next expansion looming, I want to dive in and be able to play at least on high settings with 40+ FPS (pref 60).

I play a lot of League of Legends. Weirdly enough I find it soothing. Even my mac can run this at 50-60 FPS so I'm not too worried about optimizing my PC for this particular title.

I've dabbled into FPShooter games, but there are only a select few for Mac. I imagine I'd get more into them once I have a decent PC that can run more of these titles.

I write/compose/edit music. I'll most likely continue to do this on my Mac with Logic Pro X, however I wouldn't object to taking advantage of Pro Tools' perks as well.

My ideal budget is sub $900. The idea would be that I buy a decent computer off the bat, and upgrade various parts as my paychecks come rolling in.
    I'm open to building a PC or purchasing a pre-made build that you guys would recommend. All and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Things of Note:

I have peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse). My budget would be exclusively for the Tower.

My current Mac Specs for those interested (runs WoW at 20 FPS on the lowest graphical settings in a raid environment):

OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS 10.8.5
    CPU TYPE: Intel® Core™ i7-3667U CPU 2.00GHz
    CPU SPEED: 2.02 GHz
    SYSTEM MEMORY: 8.59 GB
    VIDEO CARD MODEL: Intel HD Graphics 4000
    VIDEO CARD MEMORY: 1.21 GB
    STORAGE SPACE: 512 GB SSD

I posted on Reddit and this was the build that was recommended to me:
    (sorry, my formatting skills are garbage)

CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX Video Card
    Case Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: $891.93

What do you guys think of this? Anything you would change about this build? if so, why?

Any insight you can provide is welcome and appreciated!
    Last edited by Couches; 2014-09-23 at 09:31 PM.

Deleted
    IF you can go over and get rebates, then I have a build that's at $~940 after rebates:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.73 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.70 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $933.36
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-24 02:04 EDT-0400

The key reason it's over $900 is the overclockable CPU. IF you want the GTX970, then you'll have to skimp out on an SSD due to cost. I also changed the PSU because the Corsair Builder series are more ideal for office PCs than gaming ones.

Deleted
    - if you are getting a non k cpu there is no reason to get a Z97 that is over the minimum for price sake. Get a i5 4690k +aftermarket cooler.
    - I wouldn't reckon that ssd or hard drive, higher than others failure rates.
    - gtx 970 is awesome card that just got out, way too much for playing wow especially since you cheaped out of the other stuff.
    - The psu is rubbish.

I would reckon this instead:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.73 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.65 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($106.98 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.70 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($188.40 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Mwave)
    Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $890.41
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-24 02:10 EDT-0400