Deleted

Preparing for WoD with a possible upgrade

Currently I'm running 25 Heroic SoO runs and i'm noticing my PC is not that happy doing 25 mans compared to 10 mans where my systems performance was just fine. Now i'm wondering IF I should upgrade and if I do if I should upgrade the GFX card or just made that over.

Current system:

• Int Core i5-2500K 3300 11 (cooled by a Scythe GrandKama Cross)
    • DDR3 8GB 1333-999 XMS
    • SSD 120GB 275/285 Vertex2 E OC
    • MSI 2GB D5 X GTX660 TF OC R
    • Asus P8P67 <Rev.3.0> P
    • Be Quiet Dark P. Pro8 750W ATX

Now I've read you can OC my CPU to around 4ghz without issues and things but I'm never a big fan of doing those type of things, especially since my old system always move over to my GF and if I wreck the CPU/make the system instable that would suck. So I'm considering going for the following system where my biggest 'hmm not sure' is the GPU, not sure if I need to upgrade this part in order to smoothly run those Mythic raids with proper graphical settings.

• Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH
    • Intel® Core™ i5-4690, 3,5 GHz (3,9 GHz Turbo Boost) 1150
    • Corsair HX750i, 750 Watt
    • Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1, 256 GB SSD
    • ASUS Z97-A, socket 1150
    • ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5

And if I do want to upgrade the GPU do I wanna jump straight to the 970 which is in around the same price range as the 770?

Hoping someone with some actual Mythic raiding experience (I know Beta is Beta) and/or far more hardware knowledge might help me out.

Deleted
    ...you may as well push for the 4690k with a Z97 motherboard, and I see no issues with getting thew GTX970. However, the HX750i is a touch overkill for gaming needs, as is the 970 for just WoW.

My suggestions:

1) Drop the 750i to a high-quality 550-600W PSU;
    2) Push up the CPU to the 4690k and get an after-market cooler with the savings on the PSU;
    3) Get a GTX970 if you wish.

Everything else is fine, although if you're keeping your current cooler, you'll need a TIM cleaning kit and some more thermal compound, such as the Noctua NH-T1 or the Arctic Silver.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Everything else is fine, although if you're keeping your current cooler, you'll need a TIM cleaning kit and some more thermal compound, such as the Noctua NH-T1 or the Arctic Silver.
    If I Upgrade I'd upgrade the whole PC (so buy a new case aswell) and have the old pc move to my GF, mostly a question of if I want to actually keep the currenty GPU and have her keep her GTX550.

But it's interesting you'd say the PSU is overkill @ 750 as it's mostly the 'monthly setup' from MMO champ who has a 750 on this CPU/Mobo & GPU.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeanathus View Post
    If I Upgrade I'd upgrade the whole PC (so buy a new case aswell) and have the old pc move to my GF, mostly a question of if I want to actually keep the currenty GPU and have her keep her GTX550.

But it's interesting you'd say the PSU is overkill @ 750 as it's mostly the 'monthly setup' from MMO champ who has a 750 on this CPU/Mobo & GPU.
    a 970 rig with a full 5960X pulls around 350w under high load. So, for example, an high-quality 550w PSU is more than plenty for a rig like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    a 970 rig with a full 5960X pulls around 350w under high load. So, for example, an high-quality 550w PSU is more than plenty for a rig like that.
    That's an interesting fact, I imagen the same applies to a 660GTX or 770GTX wouldnt pull it across 90% of 550Watt then?

Wonder why the hell i have a 750watt PSU currently... Hell.. I even wonder why there are that many 750 or 1000+ Watt PSU's out there... what the hell are people that need those PSU's running :-\

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeanathus View Post
    That's an interesting fact, I imagen the same applies to a 660GTX or 770GTX wouldnt pull it across 90% of 550Watt then?

Wonder why the hell i have a 750watt PSU currently... Hell.. I even wonder why there are that many 750 or 1000+ Watt PSU's out there... what the hell are people that need those PSU's running :-\
    Some people get PSU's for expansion of future hardware. If you never plan to go above a single card solution this normally wouldn't apply to you. In this case, the 970 is actually more power efficient than the high end 700 series cards. It takes little power to run.

Deleted
    Its really comes down to budget tbh. If you plan going as far as gtx770 then might as well go full out on a 970, small price for huge performance difference (maybe not in wow but if you play other fps games...) Higher end cards don't necessarily mean you need higher wattage psu. Newer cards need as much or less than older ones. Ie for a 970+i5 4690k+Z97 a good 550W is plenty.

Dunno where you are located, but here's an example:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.75 @ Scan.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 87.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler (£30.14 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£106.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£60.34 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£79.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£298.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case (£88.33 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£76.62 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £910.69
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-24 14:48 BST+0100

Deleted
    Located in the Netherlands and it's good to know the PSU was massive overkill. The biggest surprise in your list to me is the fact you've opted for 8gb's against 16gb's.

Is 16gb's such overkill? (I run two monitors where I also generally stream our raids). I run 8gbs atm and I don't feel I'm lacking much to be fair aswell as I gues I could also go 4x 4gb's if I feel 8 is not enough...

Deleted
    Yeap, 8gb for gaming is enough. If you were doing heavy stuff, like video editing, running a bunch of Vms then yes.