Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

German Ethics Council: Incest is a Fundamental Right.

Laws banning sexual relations between siblings may get the boot if the German Ethics Committee has its way. “Criminal law is not the appropriate means to preserve a social taboo,” the advisory committee said in a statement released Wednesday. “The fundamental right of adult siblings to sexual self-determination is to be weighed more heavily than the abstract idea of protection of the family.” The Committee’s declaration follows a case famous in Germany about a sister and brother who had four children together. They didn’t meet until the sister was 16 and the brother was an adult. They were forced to live separately and the brother served three years in prison for incest. A spokeswoman for Angela Merkel’s ruling Christian Democrats said the government was unlikely to adopt the recommendation. According to the Max Planck Institute, 2 to 4 percent of Germans have had “incestuous relations.” - DB Summary.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ttee-says.html

Social liberalism gone awry? or is the ability to pork your sibling a fundamental right? I suppose I agree with the fact that criminally enforcing it really doesn't help much. Still...

10+ Year Old Account
    It's detrimental to the gene pool, thus weakening humans as a species, should be considered support of genocide.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Deleted
    The Law shouldn't get involved in the actual act between two consenting adults, but there should definately be legislation surrounding having children given the higher percentage of genetic abnormalities. Such a law should be extended to first cousins, too, given the higher than average rate of defects in children of such a union.

I think the issue is that social taboos should never get you thrown in prison. It really doesn't do any justice to anyone besides the hardcore religious individuals that think their salvation lies in how their neighbors act.

That being said, if there is enough science that can show that first generous incestuous kids will have significant health issues then I can see it remaining a law. Then again, we do allow people to smoke and eat fast foods even though we know their health is eventually going to be a drain on society.

The Amish don't do incest but the group is small enough that there are more defects than usual. Some are unique to the Amish community.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Incest has it's issues, and I personally think it's disgusting and wrong, but if two consenting adults want to do it, let 'em.

What people do in their bedrooms is between them. Social Taboos should never get in the way of law. While genetic abnormalities are more likely, you can easily set up genetic testing of a fetus. (and I think everyone should have their fetuses genetically tested anyways)

It's detrimental to the gene pool
    Just read that thing and their viewpoint on that is:

- Its not forbidden to have kids for people, who have even higher chances of giving their children birth defects, due to their genes (like Muscular dystrophy)
    - in vitro fertilization between family members is not forbidden, only sex is, so the law is inconsistent
    - Forbidding all relationships, even the ones that have no intrest/possibility(infertile people) to have kids, is a disproportinate messure
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    It's detrimental to the gene pool, thus weakening humans as a species, should be considered support of genocide.
    Inhabitans of trailer parks are also detrimental to the gene pool, you don't see them being forbidden from reproducing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    By that train of thought, eating fat food is detrimental to the gene pool, or not aborting children with mental illnesses.

Also, title is heavy clickbait, they say that sexual freedom is a fundamental right, not incest.

On topic: I follow their argumentation, while I dont think its nessesarily bad if the law is used to regulate social taboos (think about public nudity laws etc etc), in this case there is no harm to anyone done

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it distasteful and there are a lot of reasons why it's a bad idea... but as long as it's two consenting adults (and the relationship began as adults), I don't think it's necessary for the law to be involved, much less prosecuting people, for this kind of thing.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    5 years imprisonment in Hawaii, Florida
    10 years imprisonment in North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Minnesota
    14 years imprisonment in California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Idaho
    15 years imprisonment in Connecticut, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia and West Virginia
    20 years imprisonment in Massachusetts, New York, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, and Vermont
    25 years imprisonment in Kansas, Nebraska, Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky
    Life imprisonment in Georgia,[51] Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.
    Wow, some of the sentences for incest are pretty steep. I kind of agree with the Germans that consenting adults should be allowed to have sex with any other consenting adult but I really don't think that relatives should be allowed to have children.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiyo View Post
    The Law shouldn't get involved in the actual act between two consenting adults, but there should definately be legislation surrounding having children given the higher percentage of genetic abnormalities. Such a law should be extended to first cousins, too, given the higher than average rate of defects in children of such a union.
    You do know that the nazi's had similar laws right?

While I don't nescesarily disagree, I think limiting human behavior this far is very risky

10+ Year Old Account
    While I find it icky, I can't really come up with a legal reason to prohibit it.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    I live in South Carolina, but you may want to look even farther south for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefrog View Post
    I think the issue is that social taboos should never get you thrown in prison. It really doesn't do any justice to anyone besides the hardcore religious individuals that think their salvation lies in how their neighbors act.

That being said, if there is enough science that can show that first generous incestuous kids will have significant health issues then I can see it remaining a law. Then again, we do allow people to smoke and eat fast foods even though we know their health is eventually going to be a drain on society.
    There is plenty of evidence that incest leads to higher risks for genetic diseases

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    What people do in their bedrooms is between them. Social Taboos should never get in the way of law. While genetic abnormalities are more likely, you can easily set up genetic testing of a fetus. (and I think everyone should have their fetuses genetically tested anyways)
    Eugenics in Germany....now where oh where have I heard this before..........

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    There is plenty of evidence that incest leads to higher risks for genetic diseases
    The point is however, that people with high risk genetic markers are not prohibited under the law from reproducing. So apply the same standards here.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much echo the sentiment of everyone else here, as long as its two adults and it started that way, then sure, do what you want.
    But having children should be closely monitored/outlawed, we don't need genetic mutants all over because they couldn't not hump their sister.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    You do know that the nazi's had similar laws right?

While I don't nescesarily disagree, I think limiting human behavior this far is very risky
    The Nazis didn't have similar laws, they partook in forced sterilisation of anyone with a disability. I would never suggest anything of the sort. Legislation =/= outright banning and/or forcefully preventing it.