Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What's in like in Norway? I want to live there.

I like snow! I like Norwegian people. I like the culture and landscape. I want to buy a small wooden house in a forest and grow my own food/be completely sustainable.

I want to live in a very rural place away from big towns and cities. Norway seems like the perfect place. I like Norway and go there at least 2 times a year. I've been to Tromso, Stavanger, Bergen and Oslo.

I want to live in Svalbard

Where you from? What is your profession? What is your ethnic origin? Are you a refugee?

Maybe try to get a work visa.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    Where you from? What is your profession? What is your ethnic origin? Are you a refugee?

Maybe try to get a work visa.
    I'm from UK. I am an unemployed student. I am British.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan56 View Post
    I'm from UK. I am an unemployed student. I am British.
    Can't you go there an get a job under the EU? After you lived there a few years apply for citizenship?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

You dont know what its like but you want to live there? Interesting...

Deleted
    You gonna have a hard time living in Svalbard. You need a job there to even get a permit to live there, I think. Or you could take a course at their university...

Deleted
    Grow your own food in Svalbard eh? Also Norway is ridicolously expensive, if you really want to live in the wild there are places that much better suited than Norway.

Expensive. Better than Sweden though; not quite a politically correct dystopia, yet at least. The recent success of their conservative party (or as close as you get to a conservative party in Scandinavia) was somewhat inspiring in the last election. The further North you go, the better the people are in my experience. Places in the far south, like Kristiansand/Oslo/etc, have few redeeming qualities.
    Last edited by Austilias; 2014-09-24 at 06:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't you go there an get a job under the EU? After you lived there a few years apply for citizenship?
    Norway is not in the EU, although when coming from the UK there's probably little issue immigrating.
    Last edited by zealo; 2014-09-24 at 06:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Expensive. Better than Sweden though; not quite a politically correct dystopia, yet at least. The recent success of their conservative party (or as close as you get to a conservative party in Scandinavia) did pretty good in the last election. The further North you go, the better the people are in my experience. Places in the far, south like Kristiansand/etc, have few redeeming qualities.
    Typical outdated nonsense. There are good and bad Scanians and good and bad Finnmarkians.

I say people in Scandinavia are nice in general.

Deleted
    I lived in Norway for a few years (rural town called Røros). It was horrible. Outside of my now ex-girlfriend, I knew very few people, and it was very hard to establish 'friendships', as Norwegians are even more private than Danish people (and that's saying a lot).

It's definitely worth trying for a while, but you shouldn't just blindly charge into a situation with a ton of unknown variables.

If you'd like we can switch places.

Well first i would say it's a lot like grizzly hills in wow or skyrim in elder scrolls. We are happiest when we have a belly full of mead. We drink to our youth for the age of oppression is just about done. (the government)

This thing about Norwegians not being friendly is untrue, we are quite friendly(just remember mead) Once that is over with we open up like great big ol bears or very fat nosed trolls. We love cheese and potatoes, we call them earth berries.

We like to ski and laffing( laffing because you fell down, foreign ski newbie :P)

Sometimes we like to hunt trolls our prime minister seems to take great interest in defeating mean comments at their roots.

We prefer our trolls outside a window shop, next to the Moose stickers, mead and fuzzy sweaters.

And potatoes.

Norwegian is also very easy to learn, youll get really far with just the three essential words "hei, hade" and Hæææ?"

And last but not least always use the word "Du" or say "Du der" when establishing contact with someone in Norway, if you don't people will look at you funny.

ok i think that is all.

I guess i better pack warm.

Norway is not in the EU.

OT:
    - Norway
    - unemployed student
    - buy a house

Sorry... doesn't compute. Do you have some family savings or something?

Also, Norway isn't the best country for rural life - soil is kinda poor, you will need a lot of fertilizers (also, you can't survive on full self-sustain without livestock, so prepare to butcher stuff a lot).

Deleted
    Everything is very very expensive, I wouldn't go there.

Deleted
    Go to belgium!

Deleted
    Everyone is called Bjorn.

Meanwhile, in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    You dont know what its like but you want to live there? Interesting...
    My thoughts exactly

Deleted
    Left-wing liberal haven; like all of Scandinavia. Not a problem if you want to live in the woods, if you are serious about it. Enjoy.

Deleted
    The country is filled to the brim with low educated humans from the middle east and Africa, as well as high educated men from Sweden and Denmark trying to escape the horde of refuges from all over the world. I think you do best staying in your own country than coming to mine.