Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    They are ahead of the curve on us, esports are much more of a thing there than here. Isn't this common knowledge?

Deleted
    Isn't it only in MOBAs and RTS that they are ahead of the curve? I haven't seen that many asians dominating FPS or fighting games, though my experience is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    Probably more socially acceptable to spend excessive amounts of time on the computer.
    This. Its a cultural difference mostly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its like Bullettime described, but theres also more to it.

Every Sport in the World thats widely popular has a big sports betting and advertising industry behind it. Its like in Europe were betting on the Sundays Soccer game is absolute common, then watching it on TV and hoping your Team wins while getting flooded with various clips about what you could buy monday morning during commercial brakes. Korea has two Television Broadcasters who only broadcast E-Sports.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Idk could be the stigma that asians are good/smart added to the fact that they(the ones that are in those teams) are really good players that get them over represented. I have 2 asian friends in GW2 one is a monster ( I haven't seen anyone better than this guy seriously) and the other one is all jokes and fun conversation but he kinda sucks at the game (somehow is good with a mesmer in pvp but that's it no super Asian powers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Mage of Rage View Post
    Asians are born with +5 bonus to 1337 ninja skills.
    I am Asian and I put my stamp of approval on this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Isn't it only in MOBAs and RTS that they are ahead of the curve? I haven't seen that many asians dominating FPS or fighting games, though my experience is limited.
    Correct with FPS, not correct with fighting games. Japan dominated the fighting game scene for the longest time - in the early 2000's, about the only popular fighting game where America consistently came out ahead was Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Only in the 2010's have we seen Japan's long dominance begin to crack, though crack it has: 2012's EVO winner for SF4 was Infiltration, a Korean; 2013's EVO winner for SF4 was Xian, from Singapore; and 2014's EVO winner for SF4 is Luffy of France (who's ethnically Asian).

I've heard that the Japanese and Korean perception of FPS games is the same that NA players have of bullet-hell games though (i.e., "What is this stupid-hard bullshit?")

Only with RTS and MOBAs. FPS and Fighters (except SF4) are dominated by NA players.

Deleted
    I think it's mostly dedication/discipline.

It's a looooooong time since I played for example LoL, but I had the feeling that the US teams were more busy with trying to make money with streaming and making soap series than actually playing, while I think that's opposite for that asian teams. Might be wrong though, just a gut feeling

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Submerge View Post
    Only with RTS and MOBAs. FPS and Fighters (except SF4) are dominated by NA players.
    Disagree. Fighting games are largely dominated by Asian players with the exception of Marvel. Non-Asian players did quite well in this year's EVO though. NA players tend to be the only players who care about games like Injustice/MK for some reason. The really large games like Tekken, SF, KoF, etc are usually asian dominated.

Anyway, it's not some racial advantage. It's more a combination of two things. Gaming has less of a negative image, though it still has one as you can see in a huge number of interviews with eSports players. A common question is how their parents feel about their choice of eSports as a career and a lot of times the answer is that the parents were not thrilled. A better practice environment, which may be a result of the less negative image. It's a lot easier to set up a team house in Asia, higher level practice partners make for better players. Also Japan has popular arcades, so playing with people in a lag free environment is a thing for them in fighting games. While NA for example has like 1-2 arcades in each fighting game hotspot region.

And European gamers tend to be extremely passionate about their region's gaming ability despite being second best in every category, as opposed to Americans who are usually third best and just don't give a fuck for whatever reason, while Asian gamers tend to be pretty humble.

I always thought because gaming in Asia is a lot cheaper, so people get into it a lot sooner. I'm probably wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a lot more competition in Asian gaming than in Western one simply because much higher percentage of people take games seriously. As such, those who make it into high league e-sports are simply the best of the best of the best. Same reason as why Olympics are almost dominated by Chinese who always take the 1st or the 2nd place among, what, 200 countries: in China, there are 1.3 billion people and they have very strong traditions of taking sport and healthy lifestyle seriously.

I remember when I was in the Diamond league in SC2 on European server and I tried to play on Asian server. Their Gold players simply destroyed me, while European Gold players didn't present much challenge to me at the time.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    starcraft, man.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

I'd say it has a lot to do with computer games being more widely accepted as a cultural norm over in that particular side of the world. It's also presumably taken more seriously on a professional level and so there may be higher incentives for the skilled to work towards recognition and rewards.

Korean culture simply embraces professional gaming on a level that nowhere else has caught up to yet.

Why are asian women so good at billiards?

Deleted
    Koreans have +15 Video Games racial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    In Asia, many young children don't have as much personal responsibility fostered on them as we do in Western society.

In America, for example, a child is expected to grow up, hit 18, graduate high school, move out, go to college, start own life, etc.

In Asia, it's perfectly normal and acceptable for a child to do nothing and live at home doing whatever they want.

So, in short: practice. They have MUCH more free time.
    I always thought Asian parents pushed their kids much harder to perform than US or EU parents. Isn't it practically a social stereotype that Asian dads demand perfection from their children? I think it's much more likely that they take gaming seriously and invest themselves 100% in achieving perfection in any given game whereas people in other countries don't try as hard to become the best players they can be. In simple terms we see gaming as a pastime, they see gaming as a sport.
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

...Esports is a PvP oriented profession, and the east breeds far more (though not necessarily better) PvPers than the west does; be it Goonswarm killing russians in EVE or, as in MOBAs, strategy games, card games, MMORPGs... asians.

Deleted
    Well.. for south korea being a professional gamer is HUGE! it's like being a pofressional football player in america
    or professional soccer player in brazil!

So it's common for them to try and achieve this!

also, the girls go for gamer guys as their bf, the better they are at it the better