Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Looking for a little (Im)migration advise

I know that this probably isn't the greatest place to ask, but I want to throw some ideas around see what bites and what gives me further inspiration without potentially risking my current job by posting it where someone from work my recognise me.

My girlfriend from Vietnam has now been in the UK for just over 5 years and we are finding it difficult to obtain a visa for her as she is neither married or has any real degree level qualifications she can use to get a job that would sponsor her for a working visa in the UK and after several attempts to apply for a visa the chances of getting one seem to be getting increasingly slim. (Although we have known each other for the 5 years we didn't really get together until about 10months ago, and neither of us is really ready or prepared to get married just so we can obtain a visa.)
    However some of my research shows that the UK is probably one of the hardest countries to get a visa in to allow you to stay indefinitely and potentially work full time.
    So I was wondering about potentially either moving to Vietnam or to another country (English speaking) (Canada, Australia, New Zealand for example) where we could both get visa's and right to remain and work .
    Has anyone been in a similar situation or either have any experience of moving out of the UK to work abroad long term or obtaining a visa in the UK for someone without going down the marriage route.
    Unfortunately while we can get by on just my salary, I couldn't afford at this point to put her through university to get a student visa for her. I work in IT as a Systems Administrator / Technical Support role and given the amount of growth in that sector I'm not overly worried about being able to find work in any English speaking country, however I would be looking to secure a job before moving from the UK and quitting my current one. (Vietnamese being probably one of the most difficult languages in Asia to pick up.)
    Last edited by Djinni; 2014-09-25 at 09:18 PM.

Canada is most likely going to be the same story, only magnified for yourself as well. Without any job offer in place and a labour review done, you cannot obtain a work visa and would be limited to 6 months visitors visa. So both you and her would be SOL. Chances are travelling as a pair you might even get less than that depending on how the CBSA looked at the situation when you immigrate. You would also have to depart Canada at the end of that term before being eligible for an extension, though you can apply before you leave, you still have to exit the country and then return.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you're willing to immigrate somewhere for her, that seems like a larger step than marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    I know that this probably isn't the greatest place to ask, but I want to throw some ideas around see what bites and what gives me further inspiration without potentially risking my current job by posting it where someone from work my recognise me.

My girlfriend from Vietnam has now been in the UK for just over 5 years and we are finding it difficult to obtain a visa for her as she is neither married or has any real degree level qualifications she can use to get a job that would sponsor her for a working visa in the UK and after several attempts to apply for a visa the chances of getting one seem to be getting increasingly slim. (Although we have known each other for the 5 years we didn't really get together until about 10months ago, and neither of us is really ready or prepared to get married just so we can obtain a visa.)
    However some of my research shows that the UK is probably one of the hardest countries to get a visa in to allow you to stay indefinitely and potentially work full time.
    So I was wondering about potentially either moving to Vietnam or to another country (English speaking) (Canada, Australia, New Zealand for example) where we could both get visa's and right to remain and work .
    Has anyone been in a similar situation or either have any experience of moving out of the UK to work abroad long term or obtaining a visa in the UK for someone without going down the marriage route.
    Unfortunately while we can get by on just my salary, I couldn't afford at this point to put her through university to get a student visa for her. I work in IT as a Systems Administrator / Technical Support role and given the amount of growth in that sector I'm not overly worried about being able to find work in any English speaking country, however I would be looking to secure a job before moving from the UK and quitting my current one. (Vietnamese being probably one of the most difficult languages in Asia to pick up.)
    Have her claim Asylum, she will be awarded a house, and given free monies.

I'm a little offended that United States wasn't on your list of migration places.

I agree with Annoying. If you're gonna relocate long term to another country, you may as well just marry.

Btw you should try enrolling her in a school. That extended my Italian friend's brother's visa.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't give you any real advise but New Zealand is notoriously difficult to immigrate to, so I would cross that off your list.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are ready to immigrate for her marriage does not sound that far fetched, i agree with the others there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Going to echo what others said. While far from ideal, migrating to a whole new country seems like a much larger step than getting married. Sucks that you have to do either, but out of the two I'd go with marriage.

Just read in the paper today that 1 in 6 Americans is an immigrant, legal and otherwise.

Fly to Canada, run across the border.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    Just read in the paper today that 1 in 6 Americans is an immigrant, legal and otherwise.

Fly to Canada, run across the border.
    This is for the UK.

Also, for the others saying relocating is a bigger step than marriage. Please don't get married. Marriage is the biggest step, and if you aren't willing to relocate for someone, you aren't ready to marry them.

On topic: Vietnamese is actually an easier language than things like Mandaran or Japanese. Korean is probably the easiest. But at least you'll be somewhat familiar with the alphabet.

Also, you may want to try to get into another commonwealth country, then come back to the UK. That's what my ex gf's dad did when he went from China to the Canada. He had an inbetween step in Jamaica.

Quote Originally Posted by grimsanta View Post
    Also, for the others saying relocating is a bigger step than marriage. Please don't get married. Marriage is the biggest step, and if you aren't willing to relocate for someone, you aren't ready to marry them.
    I disagree. All you need to do is holla' "WE WANT PRENUP" and marriage isn't so bad.

'Sides. Relocating is huge. You have to find a new job, fit in to a new place with new people, buy a house or whatever over the internet basically, etc. Pretty sure if he's gonna stay with the girl marriage is easiest. It's just a legally signed piece of paper.

Both Australia and New Zealand are far harder to get visa in than that of the UK and that's for people from the commonwealth moving over there, people outside the commonwealth i.e vietnam don't stand a chance in hell without doctorate qualifications.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just come to the U.S. illegally. We don't mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

As for someone who has relocated for partners twice before, and also recently being in the same situation as your girlfriend, I'd actually encourage moving to another country.

Without going into too much detail, even if it wouldn't work out, you'll gain so much from it. I stayed for four years in my last partner's country before we broke up, and at first I thought that I had wasted four years of my life. Now I realise that I've not only earned a fortune, but I got tons of experiences, it was also my first real job, and all this has helped me to get where I am today.
    Me and my current partner of soon two years had the same trouble as you guys just recently. We too didn't feel as if we were ready to get married, but living together in another country is not as "serious". Since uni was too expensive, we found "language schools" which has classes about 3 hours a day and I get to stay here for 1 year and 3 months. Since my country's education is completely free, I'm just going to finish my degree, since I've only got about one year left, through internet courses, while studying at the language school.
    Like other people said though, since she's Vietnamese, it'll probably be pretty difficult for her to get a visa in any of those countries you mentioned :/ I'm sure you'd be able to get an English teaching job in Vietnam in an instant though. Best of luck!

Deleted
    just marry her, marriage is not a big deal if you have a prenup

anyone can get into australia these days

Depending on your employer (and your experience&expertise) you could try to get a foreign assignment for a place nearby. You would get your own permissions, apartments and all so much more easier and would not have to go all-in for it. But getting your girlfriend in can be a different story depending on the target. As far as I know not all countries are willing to give longer temporary (year-several) residence permits in such cases unless you are... married.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought about asking my current employer for a role outside the UK. Unfortunately our only other office with any real structure is in India, having been there once or twice I can;t say the thought of staying in India for a protracted period of time really appeals to me, I'd do it if there were no other options. but its definitely one of the last options on my "list" . (Not a huge fan of the culture, food or climate)

As far as Marriage vs immigration goes, I'd definitely say marriage is a much larger step for me than re-locating. There's nothing to stop me coming back after a few years and being worth a lot more to any prospective employer then.

Flying in and out the country every 6 months to be honest I don't see as being that big a deal, We would probably do that anyway just to see family.

On the English teaching subject, I expect that some knowledge of Vietnamese language is a big bonus there though? It's something I'm going to have to learn sooner or later if for nothing other than speaking with her parents. The key problem with doing English teaching is that it would hinder my IT Systems progression because I'd effectively be spending 5 years not really doing it. The job I'm in now sets me on the career path that I would like to end up in long term.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post

My girlfriend from Vietnam has now been in the UK for just over 5 years and we are finding it difficult to obtain a visa for her as she is neither married
    The bold part... there is your answer...... Marry her.
    It might be illegal to marry someone who is not in the country on a visa, which makes her illegal in the UK... Chances are that you only have to pay a fine, for the misdemeanor violation. The law usually makes a difference on whether you've came legally, and then overstayed, or if you entered illegally already, which I don't assume now.

And if you cannot get her settled in the UK, then you're in some sort of trouble, since elsewhere it might be at least as difficult, if not harder.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    At the moment she is neither here illegally or overstayed or current visa.