Page 1 of 2
LastLast

US Public Pensions Underfunded by $2 Trillion

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0RQ2RY20140925
    Moody's measured the unfunded liabilities for the 25 biggest public retirement systems between 2004 and 2012. The total future shortfall is more than half the size of the $3.7 trillion municipal bond market, which comprises all the outstanding debt issued by U.S. states and cities.

The gap has widened in spite of the fact that average investment returns over about the same period were 7.45 percent, roughly in line with targets, according to the Wall Street credit rating agency.

"Part of the problem for the level of overall funding is that it is inherently difficult to recover an overall asset position after the double-digit losses seen during the recession," Al Medioli, a Moody's vice president, said in a statement.

In fiscal years 2008 and 2009, at the depth of the economic downturn, the plans' assets dropped nearly 22 percent cumulatively on average, Moody's said.
    The 25 systems analyzed by Moody's cover 40 percent of the $5.29 trillion in total assets managed by all U.S. public pensions.

Moody's uses a more conservative method to calculate pension gaps than most of the systems themselves.
    Just saw this report today and found in rather interesting considering how far away we are, time wise, from the recession, and the Public Pensions are still horrifically underfunded. Given how underfunded they are now, what should be done to make sure that the pensions are there for the retirees when they need them?

I see potentially six options, each with their own inherent risks:

Nothing - future workers will pay in enough to cover current retirees

Adjust investment plans to try to get greater return

Reduce the future beneficiaries payout to shore up the fund

Reduce all beneficiaries (current and future) payout to shore up the fund

Allow future beneficiaries to take a one time distribution and remove themselves from the fund while seeking a government infusion of funds to protect current beneficiaries

Force all beneficiaries to take a one time distribution and close the fund; future retirees will either have private or defined contribution rather than benefit plans

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Raeph; 2014-09-25 at 10:26 PM.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

We could always try putting more money into them.

Can someone educate me a little? How much do you stand to make by taking out a pension as opposed to just saving retirement money on your own?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Could always borrow from the future and then cut off pensions for the unborn people FUCK them >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Can someone educate me a little? How much do you stand to make by taking out a pension as opposed to just saving retirement money on your own?
    Pensions are given in place of a higher wage that would allow you to save. The idea is that you get under paid now, but you are promised money in the future so you can retire.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Pensions are given in place of a higher wage that would allow you to save. The idea is that you get under paid now, but you are promised money in the future so you can retire.
    I'd rather have the money now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    We could always try putting more money into them.
    Nah we need to allocate that money for MORE TANKS (that won't be used).

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I'd rather have the money now.
    If the pension scales with inflation you probably wouldn't.

Make your kids take care of you.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I still would.

I still would.
    That's a higher risk decision. Maybe good for you, but a secure and regular pension with a known value is pretty appealing compared to a higher risk investment portfolio, especially if you're not knowledgeable about investing in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    There are still plenty of police stations that don't have one.

This means nothing without knowledge of the interest rate and how much money you would receive in replacement.

Deleted
    I still would.
    Unless you invest it very carefully over time, you'd be totally screwed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    But, but!

The tanks are for my toy collection!

How dare you deny me my toys!
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    This means nothing without knowledge of the interest rate and how much money you would receive in replacement.
    Interest rate has been low and steady for a long time. And even if you had to guess what the inflation rate is you can be almost positive there won't be deflation.

And really if there's deflation, or run away inflation, its not like your stock investment will do any better.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Unless you invest it very carefully over time, you'd be totally screwed.
    Most investors don't just throw everything at google and hope it makes them a millionaire.

Deleted
    Accounting for the depreciation of currency, you'd need quite a lot in savings just for the interest to keep up with it.

Realistically unless you're talking hundreds of thousands in a long term high interest account, the depreciation will screw you.

- - - Updated - - -

Most investors don't just throw everything at google and hope it makes them a millionaire.
    I invest in food and drugs, and funeral homes.

And the average retirement age is ~67. If you do a 5 year college education, that gives you 44 years working. Having a successful portfolio over 44 years? If you can do that in the first place, just go into investment professionally.

15+ Year Old Account
    But but, government is bad, and doesn't know how to handle money!