Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Requesting a little help: Garrosh 10N

We came back to the game relatively recently and we decided to run through SoO Normal before 6.0 launches. We're at the point now of working on Garrosh, and while it was only our first night on him we seem to be having a harder time than I would have expected, considering the relative ease of the rest of the raid zone.

We tried 2 different make ups:
    First 5 Attempts: 2 Tanks, 3 Healers, and 5 DPS.
    Last 7 Attempts: 2 Tanks, 2 healers, and 6 DPS.

Here's a link to our logs for the night: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/jmbxdgl03ykziptn/

The first 5 attempts, as you can see, we decided to run with 3 healers. We did the rest of the raid zone with 3 healers, so we felt there was likely no reason to change that. Doing it this way seemed to indicate that we didn't have the DPS to push through the encounter properly.

The last 7 attempts, our restoration shaman swapped to his retribution paladin so we could 2 heal it. I don't want to say outright that we were having a healer issue, because there may be some other underlying reason, but we kept losing people and wiping because of that.

A little about our strategy, if it matters/helps:

We started off stacking near the center and healing through the Weapons. We did this until we were pulled into the other "realm".
    After that, melee and tanks were in the same location in the center, with ranged/healers alternating between two points when the weapons would spawn.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I'll be around for the next couple hours as well so if there's anything that needs to be answered I can answer pretty quickly.

Thank you very much!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have to tried solo tanking it? If your tank is decently geared (560+) you can solo tank it.

Here's a post I wrote about indepth strategy for solo tanking garrosh in a post a few days ago. It focuses on Disc priest healing, but you could extrapolate it for your holy priest as well.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post29649495

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't tried it. I am the main tank, but my ilvl is only 556. I'm going to take a look through your guide right now. Thank you for replying.

Deleted
    The first three things I saw when looking at the logs:

- People should never get hit by Annihilate
    - You are sometimes dying from adds (tanks should be able to pick them up immediately, nhc there is no fixate if I'm correct - you can stun them as well)
    - You are dying in the Whirling Corruption

You should start using raid-cooldowns during the Whirling Corruptions. This is includes Devotion Aura, HTT from your Elemental-Shaman, Rallying Cry, Demo-Banner, Spirit Shells before the WC-cast starts and personals/healthstones. RC+Demo is a pretty strong combination, also Devo should help a lot. HTT for 3rd WC. Make sure to have a strong Spirit Shell up before WC - the cd on WC is 45s and the cd on SS is 1minute, so you can have a SS up on every WC.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you still have the log file, do you mind uploading it to http://www.warcraftlogs.com/ instead? I find reading the logs from there much easier than worldoflogs.
    Last edited by Cranial; 2014-09-26 at 11:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello treenicillin,

Last night we had the second tank (Brewmaster Monk) picking up the adds and tanking them on the boss. I think my TClap may have been ripping some of them on to me though.

As far as cooldowns during Whirling Corruption: If I remember correctly, we were not using a raid cooldown for the first Whirling Corruption, then for the second we were using the priests barrier plus my demo banner, for the third we were using our shamans HTT. Beyond that I don't recall. It seems we may just need to be more free with the raid cooldowns during that.

Also worth mentioning, in the second phase (after we come back down from the first intermission) we were remaining stacked up for the Whirling Corruptions. I think that may be our biggest mistake, as Cranials guide suggests the tank moving the boss away from the raid. This obviously makes sense since players take less damage the greater their distance from the boss.

I appreciate the input guys, and this has given me some ideas to try. If anyone else has other suggestions I am still very happy to hear them!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cranial View Post
    If you still have the log file, do you mind uploading it to http://www.warcraftlogs.com/ instead? I find reading the logs from there much easier than worldoflogs.
    Here's the link for WarcraftLogs: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/GkWgznRdYBt6wvrq/

We've actually been considering swapping to this one as well, instead of WoL

Here is what you should be doing.

Set Up:

1 x Tank
    2 x Healers
    7 x Damage Dealers

Phase One:

Set a marker near the middle of the room where everyone will stack. Not near, not around, but on that marker. Cleave down the weapon as it comes, as well as the adds.

Make sure your DPS doing the Iron Star is reliable and capable, you don't want that to fuck you up. Interrupt the Wolfrider Heal, ignore the Chain Lightning. Use Raid Cooldowns for Iron Star Impact (Death Knight or Disc Priest Bubble, Avert Harm, Devotion Aura, etc...).

Intermission:

Depends on what you get really, but all are very easy.

Terrace of Endless Springs - Everyone run to the top, don't DPS the adds at all until you're all the way up. Tank should do minor damage to keep aggro off the healers. Stack them, stun them and AoE them down. Everyone must get a bubble.

Temple of the Jade Serpent - Split the team into two teams. One goes left, one goes right. Once those are dead, everyone moves to the middle, clears that pack and then split back into the groups to kill the Left & Right group again. Shoot the boss quickly to avoid him getting empowered. Everyone should get the bubble.

Temple of Chi'ji - Everyone go Left, kill the big around and swing around to kill the right add. Should go very quickly.

Phase Two:

Keep the boss in the middle of the room, and have the Ranged Team "Ping-Pong" the weapon between two markers. Assign one or two Ranged DPS to slow destroy the Weapon. Classes that need not focus it are best, such as DoT based classes. It'll be a while before the next weapon, so no rush. Once that weapon is dead, when the next comes, move back to the original position. Ping Pong.

Focus on the Mind Controls. There is zero excuse for them casting. The Tank should one-shot any Melee Mind Controlled, and the Ranged Team can handle their own. Focus getting the Healers out first as your Tank will need constant Healing.

When Whirling Corruption comes, have your Melee move to the Ranged Team and use a Raid Cooldown (As listed before). If they have immunities (Diffuse Magic, Anti-Magic Shell, etc...) then they can stay, but survival is more important than DPS.

Intermission (If you get another one):

See Above

Phase Three:

Exactly the same as Phase Two, except this time the weapons will be empowered as will his Whirling Corruption. Firstly, with the Whirling Corruption it does more damage do personal and raid cooldowns are important. Secondly, adds will spawn and the need to die A.S.A.P. but away from each other. Stacking them and then AoE'ing them down is stupid as each time one dies, it empowers (and heals) the rest. Single target every add down and get ready for Mind Control.

Focus Mind Control, but now it can't be stunned. It must be interrupted.

From now on ignore the Weapon that he throws. Simply have the Ranged team move around the room to form a circle of Weapons around the center where Garrosh is being tanked.

Use Bloodlust at the very start of this phase as he is casting to go into it. Not once he has healed up, but while he is in the middle channeling.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Hyve; 2014-09-26 at 11:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for the reply Hyve. That's similar to how we were doing it in Flex, but we used 2 tanks and 3 healers. Moving to 1 tank, 2 healers and 7 DPS seems to be the common suggestion here.

You use one Tank for Heroic, so there is literally no need for two in Normal.

There is no difference between Flex & Normal Garrosh. If you can do Flex you can do Normal, it's just a matter of using Raid Cooldowns when there is big incoming damage. Take a few minutes before the boss pull to sort out exactly what cooldowns you can and when you can use them.

You'll be surprised the value that a simple Devotion Aura has on an Iron Star impact.

For whirling corruption we found the easiest way to give you healers a break is to get your raid to really put some distance between themselves and Garrosh when it goes off, especially in the latter parts of phase 3.

Different strokes ofc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

AeneasBK is right. Don't under-estimate the difference ~10 yards makes when the whole raid is doing it. At this stage of the expansion you should be more then geared enough to beat this boss easily, so focus on making it easier on yourselves, move away and keep a good distance between you.

Just make sure you're close enough or back in your team for Mind Control!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    AeneasBK is right. Don't under-estimate the difference ~10 yards makes when the whole raid is doing it. At this stage of the expansion you should be more then geared enough to beat this boss easily, so focus on making it easier on yourselves, move away and keep a good distance between you.

Just make sure you're close enough or back in your team for Mind Control!
    I would say that, on average, our raid is at about 555 ilvl. The majority of us took a break from the game and recently came back .

I think I may take suggestions from all of you regarding the Whirling Corruption, and pull the boss away from the rest of the raid while they stack in a specific location. This would allow them to use raid cooldowns and be within range of each other to break MCs.

It is alot easier solo tanking the fight due to the massive vengeance off the boss. Personally I've found off tanking here a pain in the arse, especially as warrior as any aoe off the mt yanks them straight off you because of that, and healer aggro can contribute to leakers too so you run around like a chicken. Solo tanking sticks them to you alot easier and as long as the raid are clever with stuns/mds on wave pickups it shouldn't be too much of as problem. The real thing to watch for is to avoid any leakers getting behind you on a recovery as that does hurt. Additionally the single tank gets to have fun doing massive dps which allows the spare slot for extra dps/heals depending on what your raid needs and a good hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    I would say that, on average, our raid is at about 555 ilvl. The majority of us took a break from the game and recently came back .

I think I may take suggestions from all of you regarding the Whirling Corruption, and pull the boss away from the rest of the raid while they stack in a specific location. This would allow them to use raid cooldowns and be within range of each other to break MCs.
    We tried that - it works okay, but your tank is going to need either a pocket healer or some chaining of strong cooldowns. Angry Garrosh hits hard and fast (and stakcs a DoT) and if your tank is too enthusiastic about saving your raid he might suicide by outranging all the heals. Happened to us enoguh times just thought I'd mention it. In the end we found leaving him still, and just "tail between legs" running for it. Mark up one of your healers as the place to stack when the timer for MC gets to around 3 or 4 seconds left and you should have PLENTY of time to restack to break people out (See arel00's post below for why you don't wanna be stacked up when you run away). If in doubt, just leave Garrosh early, as sometimes the two abilities will time up frustratingly. Due to the fight mechanics, losing a few players (especially interrupters) in this phase because they wanted 2-3 more seconds of DPS on the boss will cause a wipe a few percent later, when your raid is chain MC'd. Whilst most of the tactis we read at the time (December/January) were saying "Oh, phase three, just bloodlust and burn him down, EZ" or smug words to that effect, we found trying to race to the finish wasn't nearly as successful as the "slow steady" kill.

I say "slow steady" there are about 3 occasions over the last few minutes where you get mroe than 5 seconds to relax before you have to dance off to deal with the next mechanic, so its more "slow and manic" but you get the idea :P

Good Luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dunmail View Post
    It is alot easier solo tanking the fight due to the massive vengeance off the boss. Personally I've found off tanking here a pain in the arse, especially as warrior as any aoe off the mt yanks them straight off you because of that, and healer aggro can contribute to leakers too so you run around like a chicken. Solo tanking sticks them to you alot easier and as long as the raid are clever with stuns/mds on wave pickups it shouldn't be too much of as problem. The real thing to watch for is to avoid any leakers getting behind you on a recovery as that does hurt. Additionally the single tank gets to have fun doing massive dps which allows the spare slot for extra dps/heals depending on what your raid needs and a good hoot.
    Single tanking gets pretty mental if you're taking a slower approach to phase 2 and 3 (or just don't have the DPS to burst through) due to teh stackign DoT. You may find your tank gets pretty rekt. But yeah its a LOT more DPS so you may find thats whats needed to simplify things (hitting phase 3 of the fight before the second "vision realm" because you have 7 DPS makes all of phase 2 really easy).
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2014-09-26 at 11:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind this thing as well: when Whirlwind Corruption gets empowered, you must never be stacked up, regardless of any reasoning. He will throw out shadow bolts at players that hit everyone in their landing location and hurt - a LOT. If you stack the raid he will throw them all at the same spot and there is no cooldown combination in the world that can save you from seven consecutive bolts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    Keep in mind this thing as well: when Whirlwind Corruption gets empowered, you must never be stacked up, regardless of any reasoning. He will throw out shadow bolts at players that hit everyone in their landing location and hurt - a LOT. If you stack the raid he will throw them all at the same spot and there is no cooldown combination in the world that can save you from seven consecutive bolts.
    Was just about to say that.. Back when my guild was doing this on normal, we stayed together on Empowered Whirling Corruption and wiped because of it..

The further you get away from Garrosh, the less likely you are to get hit by the AOE... And it´s easier to controll the adds when spread out aswell.. So we basically started running like hell away from Garrosh (Everyone except the tank - maybe pull him away a little) - Without getting out of reach from the healers..

We also found that if even 1 DPS died, it was a wipe, with that low gear... Everyone needs to do their part in breaking MC and taking as little damage as possible while still DPS´ing the boss to push the phases faster..

I my guild we didnt start solotanking it before we outgeared the fight.. It can be hard for the healers and tanks to keep it all up - And the intermission with the 2 adds, can be a pain, since Garrosh will Annihilate as soon as the other add dies, and you are all still on the stairs..

Another tip:
    If you have a Mocking banner or Brewmaster.. Then taunt all adds in, in the last phase and don´t kill any of them...
    As I prot-warr I simply popped some CDs and threw a mocking banner, so the DPS could focus on Garrosh and MCs...
    It is a period of high damage input, but Garrosh should die very soon after anyways.

Deleted
    There is an ability called 'moving': raid is stacked, bolts launch, entire raid uses this ability, no damage from bolts. Only it is somehow harder to pick up the adds then.

About the phase two: we do this on my core, after garrosh throw the weapon, everybody stack near the tank to cleave down hard the MC (avoid use any dot on then, and focus only in interrupts - avoid stuns because on phase 3 you can't do that), only after that the rangeds and healers go to the 2nd marked place. Beware with the wave that will have 2 weapons before the whirling corruption.

On the Whirling Corruption, if any mdps have any doubt about survive it on melee range, simple make it go with the rangeds. But if they believe on their healers, use a raid CD + personal CD and stay on boss.

Phase 3 with the empowered whirling corruption, chose a side of the room and make everybody spread on that - every DPS kill his own add fast (they do almost no damage), and then helps the healers. Like people already said, avoid at any cost kill a add near the other adds. Don't forget to make the raid stack on the tank after the weapon for the MC.

Deleted
    There is nothing that do spash damage on raid from WW except the wirls on the ground ppl can stay stacked and move when they start to land to avoid get hitted by them.But that its needs to be done only if they choose Brm to kite the adds till fight ends it will be much more easy for him to pick them up.The most important thing in EmpWW phases is ppl to no go to China keep your spread radius just enough far to can healers have easy acces to you and Boss tank.Its good to mark them to can ppl know where they are.

3 heal it until you have it on farm, your dps needs to step it up until then if you're carrying a 540 hunter.
    Hahvok seems to be the lowest dps, he's nearly 100k behind all your dps and even below the tanks. That's a huge problem and needs replacing

Hopefully your raiders utilize there own personal defensives/healthstones for survival and not overlap raid CD's when called for because that'd be really stupid if they did
    Last edited by lunaru; 2014-09-26 at 02:43 PM.