Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

My coworker is pushing his beliefs on me.

Hey everyone,

So for the past couple of weeks I can think of 4 incidents where my coworker has brought up his wish for me to practice Islam. It all started off innocent when he brought up to topic of religion and asked me what I was. I said I am an atheist and he began a line of questioning that irked me but I dealt with it. He'd ask me if I was satisfied with my life and if I fear of hell fire and all that jazz. I said I don't believe in that kind of thing. So a week or so later he brings literature and pamphlets for me on Islam. At first I was annoyed but then decided to take them so he'd shut up. I'm working there tomorrow and I'll be the guard that relieves him. I know he'll bring it up as usual. I'm thinking of telling him that he is crossing a line and flat out tell him to leave me alone. Should I instead tell HR? I thought of that as an alternative. Is what he is doing even remotely appropriate in the workplace?
    You make me smile with my heart.

Deleted
    Use the same tactics and try to push copies of The Watchtower on him.

Offer him a bacon - egg- cheese - breakfast sandwich on him one morning and see if he comes back! (lol)

10+ Year Old Account
    I always feel insulted when they DON'T try to convert me...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    Don't do anything stupid like retaliate, that is a good way for both of you to get fired. Tell HR and make a complaint, also keep reminding him you are not interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

I didn't know there were evangelical Muslims.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Instead of being polite and fake about it, just tell him flat out "I really don't appreciate this and kindly request that you stop trying to discuss religion with me."

Because if you act all nice and polite about it, and then go report him to HR, that just makes you a douche.

If you tell him straight up that you don't want to discuss religion with him, and he still does it, and then you report him to HR, that doesn't make you a douche.

I would tell him to shut the fuck up in a polite way. What kind of fucking moron pushes his/her believes to others...
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2014-09-26 at 03:37 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tell him exactly how you feel first. If after that, he still does not relent, go to HR. It's kind of a dick move to not try and resolve the problem personally before getting him in trouble.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

10+ Year Old Account
    He should just accept an 'I'm not interested, but thanks for your concern with my soul', even if you don't believe in it. This goes for all religious people, and atheists alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Henock View Post
    Hey everyone,

So for the past couple of weeks I can think of 4 incidents where my coworker has brought up his wish for me to practice Islam. It all started off innocent when he brought up to topic of religion and asked me what I was. I said I am an atheist and he began a line of questioning that irked me but I dealt with it. He'd ask me if I was satisfied with my life and if I fear of hell fire and all that jazz. I said I don't believe in that kind of thing. So a week or so later he brings literature and pamphlets for me on Islam. At first I was annoyed but then decided to take them so he'd shut up. I'm working there tomorrow and I'll be the guard that relieves him. I know he'll bring it up as usual. I'm thinking of telling him that he is crossing a line and flat out tell him to leave me alone. Should I instead tell HR? I thought of that as an alternative. Is what he is doing even remotely appropriate in the workplace?
    There's not much else you can do except let them know that you're not interested and to ask him to stop pressing the matter in as polite a way as possible, such as what Gheld said

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Instead of being polite and fake about it, just tell him flat out "I really don't appreciate this and kindly request that you stop trying to discuss religion with me."

Because if you act all nice and polite about it, and then go report him to HR, that just makes you a douche.

If you tell him straight up that you don't want to discuss religion with him, and he still does it, and then you report him to HR, that doesn't make you a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    I didn't know there were evangelical Muslims.
    Da'wa (proselytizing) is an obligation on Muslims of certain sects, especially Wahabbism and Salafism. Although there are MANY orders of magnitude in difference between your situation and this, ISIS's requirement of forcible conversion, humiliating taxation or death comes from the same drive to convert the world to Islam.

Deleted
    Some religious nut ambushed me in my town with loads of pamphlets about Christianity. Asked me if I wanted to go to heaven and I told him "I hadn't decided yet". HE GOT PISSED, started threatening me with apocalypse, fire and brimstone. I decided to add fuel to the fire by saying "i'll go to whichever afterlife you aren't" so much lols.

I don't really want to be part of a religion which threatens you with probably the worst thing someone could imagine. If its all true I'd take hell over the god threatening me with that stuff.

Sorry OT: Guy sounds like a wack job I would report him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell him that you're happy with your life, and that, while you respect his religion, it's not for you.

If that's not enough, just flatly state that you're not interested in discussing religious matters with him.

If that's still not enough, start seeding the conversation with quips about your crazies buddies from college that decided to work for Homeland Security.

That last bit is a joke. If he persists, contact HR.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MaraStarfury View Post
    Some religious nut ambushed me in my town with loads of pamphlets about Christianity. Asked me if I wanted to go to heaven and I told him "I hadn't decided yet". HE GOT PISSED, started threatening me with apocalypse, fire and brimstone. I decided to add fuel to the fire by saying "i'll go to whichever afterlife you aren't" so much lols.

I don't really want to be part of a religion which threatens you with probably the worst thing someone could imagine. If its all true I'd take hell over the god threatening me with that stuff.

Sorry OT: Guy sounds like a wack job I would report him.
    Like you said he was a nut. There are very few people of each religion who does that. To be fair though there are a lot of athiest who would fit that catagory. They will get up in your face and the like. We should not judge everyone of a belief by those fringe examples. I know most athiest could care less what I believe, vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Use the same tactics and try to push copies of The Watchtower on him.
    N...no.... not the watchtower...

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

Not everybody has it in them to be confrontational. It's not difficult to tell when you're making someone uncomfortable, yet this asshole keeps pushing his religion on this guy irregardless. The only douche here is the evangelical Islamist, not the victim of his fearmongering and pushy attitude. I'd definitely report him to HR, that should put an end to it, and if it doesn't, his job should be forfeit. I get so sick of people trying to ram their phony ass religions down both mine and others throats, religion is half of what is wrong with the world today. If you are the kind of guy who doesn't mind confrontation, tell him to f*ck off, that he's wasting his time and that Muhammad was a fraud and a con artist, just like all of the other so-called "prophets."

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-09-26 at 04:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this can be easy fixed. Tell him you dont support a religion that supports Isis. (or any kind of maniac terorrists)
    Hopefully this will make him shut up.

You dont have to be direct. Just showing him some news or similar. Or newspaper.

Or show him this video:

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-09-26 at 03:59 PM.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Why don't you just talk to him instead of going official straight away?

Just find some satan worshipping pamphlets (do these exist?) and pass them back to him. Just find a way to shock him into thinking there's just no hope for you. As a real answer though I'm sure HR can be involved if you feel you're being harassed.

I think if it were me I'd probably ask him to remind me how many virgins I get when I die and like, how attractive they will be or something. Just some indifferent/mildly offensive (to him) sarcasm or whatever. Cause I don't think there are satan worshipping pamphlets. Though I'd love some if there are. Just in case.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter