Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    These "meals" are usually between 5 and 10 ounces in weight (including the weight of the sauce) and often less than 400 calories. I ate one once just to try it and didnt feel any more satiated than I did before I ate it.
    Me too. But then again I am seriously overweight.

Just for an example, the average male in the United States is 5'7". At 5'7", a healthy weight is considered to be between 121 and 153 pounds. For a hypothetical 5'7" 30 year old who is sedentary (let's be honest here, US folks!) to maintain a healthy weight, he should eat approximately 1660 - 1840 calories. If you're active, obviously that calorie count goes up.

You're supposed to eat three meals per day, which means 554 - 614 calories per meal (and in reality, breakfast should be much larger than lunch which is larger than dinner). So, 400 calories seems about right for a meal. If you drink nothing but water all day, you're a touch short of your calorie goal and should find yourself a snack at that rate, but if you have a glass of milk or orange juice or something with breakfast or a non-diet soda you'll easily make up the difference.

Now, all of that is just about calories. Nobody is arguing that these meals are particularly good for you or that they should be eaten three times per day, seven days per week. A homecooked meal will taste better and if done right, be healthier overall. But you definitely won't "starve."

TL;DR
    If you're a healthy weight and trying to stay that way, these meals have a fine calorie count and should be plenty.

Deleted
    Which had been backed up by several studies (maybe not the heartbeats thing but strenuous exercise definitely is not good for you) http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/276784.php
    Nobody mentioned strenuous exercise, infact in your last thread you were against ANY exercise at all. Nobody in their right mind would suggest running a marathon a week is good for you but all experts will agree that an active lifestyle is better than being sedentary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Do you both drink much tea or coffee?

Both can serve as an appetite suppressant, but i'm surprised people can eat so little...
    Nah I hate tea and haven't had coffee in 15 years. No, I just never had huge appetites. Most I ate was as a teenager in high school: breaded turkey for breakfast, sandwiches & crisps for dinner, big meal for tea and a snack for supper

Deleted
    The less you eat, the less hungry you get. If you are used to not eating much... you know.

Most days I'll have maybe 1000 calories because I'm trying to lose weight at the moment, but sometimes I'll skip a day and have nothing but water and milky coffee all day and rarely hungry from it. Problem is if you start eating like a ton of stuff then your stomach expects a ton of stuff so you eat a load and then you get more used to it and mroe used to it and it's a viscious cycle. I guarentue if you ate much less, smaller portions and stuff, you'd quickly get used to it and eating so much in one go would overface you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    what!?!?!?!??!?!?
    Slow metabolism is good for longevity. Faster metabolism - cells divide faster, telomeres shorten faster, you age faster. That's why professional athletes look so old in their 40-50s.

Do you both drink much tea or coffee?

Both can serve as an appetite suppressant, but i'm surprised people can eat so little...
    yes, i do drink tea mostly.

Deleted
    Which had been backed up by several studies (maybe not the heartbeats thing but strenuous exercise definitely is not good for you) http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/276784.php
    No you implied our hearts have a set number of beats and excercise causes faster beats thus you die faster

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    The less you eat, the less hungry you get. If you are used to not eating much... you know.

Most days I'll have maybe 1000 calories because I'm trying to lose weight at the moment, but sometimes I'll skip a day and have nothing but water and milky coffee all day and rarely hungry from it. Problem is if you start eating like a ton of stuff then your stomach expects a ton of stuff so you eat a load and then you get more used to it and mroe used to it and it's a viscious cycle. I guarentue if you ate much less, smaller portions and stuff, you'd quickly get used to it and eating so much in one go would overface you.
    You're the opposite of me then although I'm not trying to lose weight:P I guess my average is 1500 calories a day but sometimes I get drunk, lose control and eat 3000-4000 (including alcohol, in fact I think at least half of it comes from alcohol)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not really a great plan to make sweeping assumptions about people's eating habits from just one meal.

There are a couple potential factors:
    1) Not everyone's metabolism clicks along as the same rate. Some people just simply don't eat as much and thus do fine those meals satisfying.
    2) Some people have eating disorders or are on extreme diets where they only eat 800-1200 calories a day. And they are slowly starving to death while pretending to find satisfaction from those meals.
    3) Some people eat meals like that 5-6 times a say or substitute snacks so they don't eat what most people consider full meals. (This is what I try to do).

One very valid point you do have is that even the "healthy" meals are anything but. They are usually full of sodium, sugar, carbs, and generally not great. Some are better than others though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Nah I hate tea and haven't had coffee in 15 years. No, I just never had huge appetites. Most I ate was as a teenager in high school: breaded turkey for breakfast, sandwiches & crisps for dinner, big meal for tea and a snack for supper
    Fair enough, i was much the same a few years back; It's only recently (In relation to past years) when i've been forcing myself to eat 5-6 meals a day i've finally started eating healthily.

I used to binge on tea and biscuits and probably, at a guess, eat around 1200 calories a day?

Was super skinny, i hated it so much

Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Slow metabolism is good for longevity. Faster metabolism - cells divide faster, telomeres shorten faster, you age faster. That's why professional athletes look so old in their 40-50s.
    well they put a lot more wear & tear on their bodies besides just metabolism.

Deleted
    Fair enough, i was much the same a few years back; It's only recently (In relation to past years) when i've been forcing myself to eat 5-6 meals a day i've finally started eating healthily.

I used to binge on tea and biscuits and probably, at a guess, eat around 1200 calories a day?

TBF I would probably eat more if circumstances were different but that's another topic heh

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Orlong is the same guy that said exercise kills people faster by making your preset number of heartbeats run out faster.

Oh jesus... Please tell me he didn't really say that.

Deleted
    You're the opposite of me then although I'm not trying to lose weight:P I guess my average is 1500 calories a day but sometimes I get drunk, lose control and eat 3000-4000 (including alcohol, in fact I think at least half of it comes from alcohol)
    Well, I used to be like that, but that's what was gaining weight. I'd have like, two pizzas on a friday night, pig the fuck out, put on like a pound, and not lose it. So now trying to just slowly chip away at it, and it's coming off quite okay and staying off which is pleasant. Alcohol was the first thing I cut out, but god damn a life without wine is a life not worth having

Eating like a starving pig isn't good for you either. The picture you showed is multiple people and certainly shouldn't be a lunch for 1. By not exercising you turn normal activity into strenuous activities. Making your body work over drive just to sit and do nothing is pure insanity.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Couple of points... Slow metabolism often comes with other health issues you are conveniently ignoring.

And professional athletes aren't active and physically fit...they are extreme. And I'm pretty sure any doctor will tell you to avoid extremes on either end.

What you are doing is kind of the equivalent of pointing to someone with severe anorexia and saying "see, skipping a meal is bad for you!"

i have to eat about 1200 or less just to not gain weight. -.-

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    Aren't frozen foods loaded with salt?
    Salt is good. Keeps you bloated.

Deleted
    I've never actually managed to weigh over 10st

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    LOL I knew this would be you

- - - Updated - - -

You're aware that's what's considered a normal sized snack for work... You rarely see somebody bring a three course meal in for their 30min dinner break... Hell most just have a sandwich
    You are supposed to eat 3 hearty nutritious meals a day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) not a banana in the morning, a snack at noon, and a half ass dinner or take out meal.