Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Diamond value is basically bullshit to begin with.
    Right? A pebble with next to no intrinsic value that looks pretty much like glass is worth 100k? Fuck off with that noise.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Right? A pebble with next to no intrinsic value that looks pretty much like glass is worth 100k? Fuck off with that noise.
    That's true of a lot of things.

Why is gold valuable? Beyond industrial applications (which diamonds also have and the average person derives no benefit from,) it's a pretty, shiny, yellow and keeps well.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

Why is gold valuable? Beyond industrial applications (which diamonds also have and the average person derives no benefit from,) it's a pretty, shiny, yellow and keeps well.
    Except if you're talking the industrial usage of diamonds and gold, the amount harvested vastly outweigh the actual industrial need for them.

If people stopped believing either of them were valuable they would become nearly worthless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Except if you're talking the industrial usage of diamonds and gold, the amount harvested vastly outweigh the actual industrial need for them.

If people stopped believing either of them were valuable they would become nearly worthless.
    That's my point.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

That's my point.
    Well tell that to most people. Money is the world's most broadly accepted religious dogma.

Why do I get the feeling that field reporter really wanted an excuse to show off his Mercedes?

Well tell that to most people. Money is the world's most broadly accepted religious dogma.
    Money and gold are actually significantly different than diamonds. Diamonds are valued as singular objects to people, money and gold are valued as currencies. That is, people buy diamonds because they're pretty, people buy gold and use currency because they believe in the value of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    This is only true for low grade jewelry containing small diamonds...they are near worthless basically. A 160 000 diamond is a very different ballgame.

What a shit move to show the guys picture btw. He did something incredibly stupid and by now I would be suicidal if it was me. Never understood this practice of hanging out people in the press you have in the US.
    Easy way to avoid having your picture on the news is to not commit a crime. We plaster their faces all over so their neighbors and such know what kind of people are living next door so they can be cautious

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The average person couldn't tell the difference between a 160k diamond and a large CZ. He probably thought it was a CZ.
    Ive always wondered what a jeweler sees when they look at a rock that tells them if its a diamond or CZ. Ive compared both with an eye loupe and couldnt see any difference

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by InDecisive View Post
    Does it matter which side of the toilet paper you use?
    Yes, the textured side cleans better

- - - Updated - - -

To me, ALL jewelry and stones are a waste of money. They serve no purpose other than to look at or show of your wealth (vanity). You would be MUCH better off spending all that money on something you can actually do something with

10+ Year Old Account
    Further support for the idea of not smoking Mary Jane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would Have at least tried to get an ounce

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Further support for the idea of not smoking Mary Jane.
    That makes no sense, sounds like you're looking for an excuse.

Hey, this guy was eating pork chops and choked on them because he forgot to chew. Further support for the idea of not eating pork chops.

See how little sense that makes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Money and gold are actually significantly different than diamonds. Diamonds are valued as singular objects to people, money and gold are valued as currencies. That is, people buy diamonds because they're pretty, people buy gold and use currency because they believe in the value of it.
    And my point still stands. Their value is faith based. They are worth nothing to somebody who doesn't believe they are worth anything at all. If I had the last scrap of food and you had a bar of gold you would go hungry unless I was a fool.

And my point still stands. Their value is faith based. They are worth nothing to somebody who doesn't believe they are worth anything at all. If I had the last scrap of food and you had a bar of gold you would go hungry unless I was a fool.
    I'm not really sure what point you were/are trying to make given we're talking about diamonds. Currencies serve a very useful function that benefits society. The value of a currency is inherent to its use. Jewelry can be argued to serve a purpose via art, but the value of that is not inherent to its use. They are so different from one another that I don't really see arguments criticizing diamond prices as being applicable to currency.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I'm not really sure what point you were/are trying to make given we're talking about diamonds. Currencies serve a very useful function that benefits society. The value of a currency is inherent to its use. Jewelry can be argued to serve a purpose via art, but the value of that is not inherent to its use. They are so different from one another that I don't really see arguments criticizing diamond prices as being applicable to currency.
    And we could use diamonds as a currency if we so wished. And then we'd be complaining about how gold jewelry costs so much for no reason because it's little more than a shiny metal, unlike our diamonds which have credibility as money.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

And we could use diamonds as a currency if we so wished. And then we'd be complaining about how gold jewelry costs so much for no reason because it's little more than a shiny metal, unlike our diamonds which have credibility as money.
    But we don't. Trusting in jewelry to be valuable is not rational, trusting in currency is. Like it really doesn't matter what we're talking about regarding materials. Could be diamonds, could be doorstops. One thing is just expensive, the other thing is fulfilling a functional purpose. One thing is sought individually for sentiment, the other is sought broadly for its usefulness.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2014-09-28 at 04:50 AM.

Yeh I agree here as well
    READ and be less Ignorant.

See for me if I was to steal something I'd want to make sure the payout I got from it would cover me if I lost the ability to work (e.g. Prison or being fired).

Who entrusts a 160k$ diamond into the hands of UPS? I was nervous just waiting for my 600$ computer to arrive.