Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Oxycontin is ruining my town

Is this happening to anyone else? I know so many people from high school that are hooked on these percoset/oxycontin pills, good kids that were total straight edge but now totally addicted. A good friend of mine too is severely addicted to these and its messed up that there's nothing I can do. He's even been to rehab but it did nothing. He's literally sold all his shit, and he keeps telling everyone he's fine and doesn't have a problem even though it's so obvious. He's not the only one either, I hear so many stories of friends of friends of friends and such that are hooked on them too. Seems like it's gotten really bad here in the past year or two..

Is this happening in your town/city as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    My town has one of the biggest meth problems in the state. I work in customer service and constantly I deal with people who are so spun out on drugs they can't interact or function unless babied or led out. It's really sad to see especially when they hit "hard times" and have to sober up until they run into money again and for a few days they act like normal people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully, no. It is a very Hispanic, very Catholic city.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, I just avoid people like that so I wouldn't really know.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Amusing. Oxycodone just makes me sleepy.

Drugs are rampant, but I don't keep up with the scene, so I can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by welcome2life View Post
    My town has one of the biggest meth problems in the state. I work in customer service and constantly I deal with people who are so spun out on drugs they can't interact or function unless babied or led out. It's really sad to see especially when they hit "hard times" and have to sober up until they run into money again and for a few days they act like normal people.
    Yeah, the messed up thing is that my friend is so addicted he says he takes them just to feel "normal". Wtf..

10+ Year Old Account
    After being in that state for so long it becomes normal to them. I have a friend struggling with addiction. He wants very much to quit but he feels so ill he can't sleep or eat and his boss keeps sending him home and then he ends up lapsing. I'm trying to be supportive and give him positive alternatives. :<

Quote Originally Posted by welcome2life View Post
    After being in that state for so long it becomes normal to them. I have a friend struggling with addiction. He wants very much to quit but he feels so ill he can't sleep or eat and his boss keeps sending him home and then he ends up lapsing. I'm trying to be supportive and give him positive alternatives. :<
    Same here, but really I can't see him recovering from this. Nothing me or my other friends have said to him has any affect. He's a compulsive liar now and I can't believe anything he says anymore. It's crazy because just five years ago he was making about $150,000 in the city with a nice townhouse and now he's in a one bedroom apartment with a 20 inch TV because he pawned his 50+ inch. He's literally the poster boy of falling rock bottom from drugs.. I really don't know the solution. Ugh..

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Same here, but really I can't see him recovering from this. Nothing me or my other friends have said to him has any affect. He's a compulsive liar now and I can't believe anything he says anymore. It's crazy because just five years ago he was making about $150,000 in the city with a nice townhouse and now he's in a one bedroom apartment with a 20 inch TV because he pawned his 50+ inch. I really don't know the solution. Ugh..
    Involuntary rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Involuntary rehab.
    Have looked into it, and has to be court ordered. Or can put him into a mental facility for 72 hours and they can force it upon him, but he'll be able to wing 72 hours easily and act totally normal. He would just pop one right before he walks in and he would be able to probably make it.

Well, I don't know what oxycotin is actually. But I have noticed a lot of the younger people are into coke again. Seems to be making a comeback or something?

I don't really know as I do not do drugs, go to clubs or party. Just notice the kids talking about coke a lot more lately. Though that could be because I don't know what all the drugs are called and cocaine is the one that I do know.

I have no idea. I never did drugs, so I guess it's harder for me to distinguish addicts from healthy people.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

Have looked into it, and has to be court ordered. Or can put him into a mental facility for 72 hours and they can force it upon him, but he'll be able to wing 72 hours easily and act totally normal. He would just pop one right before he walks in and he would be able to probably make it.
    Well if it's within the realm of possibility it's what you should do.

Don't think Oxy is as big a deal as it is in America over here in the UK. I know for a while Heroin was really really bad up here in Scotland but not really been seeing the traces of it as much as I used to, although that could just be due to who I associate with. It's been getting pretty bad in Wales from what I've heard (again, heroin)

Oxy is pretty much heroin, but it's legal due to lobbying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    I have no idea. I never did drugs, so I guess it's harder for me to distinguish addicts from healthy people.
    I've never done them, either, but I've been around them my entire life. North Carolina. I don't know but maybe 3 people that aren't currently going to a clinic for methadone. People don't go to clinics to get off drugs, they go to stay on methadone. Everyone is smoking or snorting something. People who are hooked on something have to deal with both the lethargic 500 reasons not to do something people come up with for anything and the withdrawal symptoms. We as people have a hard time getting off our butts sometimes to do things we need to do, anyway, and quitting drugs is no easy task. Take someone who drinks soda every day and probably has their entire life. Then bet them 100 bucks they can't stop in a week. They most likely can't, or will and will have really bad migraines and be temperamental. Drugs are everywhere, most of the people you see on a daily basis in public are on them.

I've lived in my town since I was a kid. It's a rural area but this is one of the bigger towns in it. always a good town but lately yes drugs are getting worse. Also I keep reading stories from the sheriff department that there's a white van driving around in the country side looking for women. Read a story 2 weeks ago that a women was running out on a country road and a white van pulled up in front of her. The van took off when another car turned down the road. So human trafficking is getting worse too. it's pissing me off.

I am from a small town in southern ohio which is extremely rampant with Oxycontin to the point when documentaries and tv reality shows want to deal with the subject they come here. I had to deal with this issue in High School with the obvious drug usage and when I turned 18 went off to college and never went back home unless its visiting family for a day. Everyone there had some part of their family affected by this I know my uncle got caught making Meth in his "lab" with his kids running around while he was making it. Its sadly part of every life in these areas.

Yeah, the messed up thing is that my friend is so addicted he says he takes them just to feel "normal". Wtf..
    That's a typical sign of addiction. Once your brain becomes accustomed to working with a drug present (tolerance), getting off whatever substance is 'painful' (withdrawal).

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    I am from a small town in southern ohio which is extremely rampant with Oxycontin to the point when documentaries and tv reality shows want to deal with the subject they come here. I had to deal with this issue in High School with the obvious drug usage and when I turned 18 went off to college and never went back home unless its visiting family for a day. Everyone there had some part of their family affected by this I know my uncle got caught making Meth in his "lab" with his kids running around while he was making it. Its sadly part of every life in these areas.
    Is that possibly down by Hocking area? I've heard this sort of thing is pretty rampant there.