Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Even if you got your BiS without any warforged, socket or tertiary rolls, that would still be far, far more than just "5%" of your optimal setup.
    BiS without warforged, socket and perfect tertiaries isn't BiS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    BiS without warforged, socket and perfect tertiaries isn't BiS.
    It actually is, as there is one specific item per slot that is "best - in -slot". Getting the even better rolls of it just make that setup even better.
    Yes, there is a theoretical BiS ofc, but even now very few people get 100% warforged BiS. And nobody cares whether you have it either. It's just another thing to hunt, much like 100% BiS will be fun to hunt in WoD.

Your complaint is a total non-issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    His grammar and spelling indicate that English isn't his native language, unlike the grammar and spelling mistakes made by native English-speakers ("someone's" vs "someones").

There is no wonder that WoW's community is so toxic, learn to write yourself first, then teach the others how to do it.
    Am I the only one that wants to punch the teeth through the back of the head of the wankers that keep using the made up term "toxic"?

Riot is a fucking cancerous tumor that needs to be excised.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I'm loving the new system. As it stands now, I've had the majority of my gear for months, no changes, nothing to work towards. In Warlords, at least every item that drops has a chance to be something new and exciting.
    One of the nice effects of the change is that highly geared raiders will still have an incentive to raid, and this means that as they wait for that really optimized drop, all the other versions of that gear will go to the lesser geared players raiding with them.

The whole system is designed to encourage gearing-by-carrying. And this is a VERY GOOD THING for the game.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    Am I the only one that wants to punch the teeth through the back of the head of the wankers that keep using the made up term "toxic"?

Riot is a fucking cancerous tumor that needs to be excised.
    It's the same non-argument and silencing tactic morons in the US use. "That's inappropriate" or "I'm offended" is used just like "you're so toxic" to shut up the discussion and disliked opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    One of the nice effects of the change is that highly geared raiders will still have an incentive to raid, and this means that as they wait for that really optimized drop, all the other versions of that gear will go to the lesser geared players raiding with them.

The whole system is designed to encourage gearing-by-carrying. And this is a VERY GOOD THING for the game.
    This. What I said a dozen times now.
    I personally won't be alting NEARLY as much anymore, as I will be hunting 100% perfect items on my main ofc. And that benefits all the others raiding with me, as they get to enjoy my best character. This applies to everyone.

It's the same non-argument and silencing tactic morons in the US use. "That's inappropriate" or "I'm offended" is used just like "you're so toxic" to shut up the discussion and disliked opinion.
    It's just a more politically correct way of saying "you're a fucking asshole" or "WoW's community is filled with douchebags". Riots community was filled with extremely abrasive people, and they needed a way to get that across but they're a game company and can't say their community is filled with little self entitled shits... hence "toxic".

Don't really see the issue.

It actually is, as there is one specific item per slot that is "best - in -slot". Getting the even better rolls of it just make that setup even better.
    Yes, there is a theoretical BiS ofc, but even now very few people get 100% warforged BiS. And nobody cares whether you have it either. It's just another thing to hunt, much like 100% BiS will be fun to hunt in WoD.
    You can keep inventing various meanings for the word BiS, it will change nothing. An item which, once warforged, with socket and some specific set of tertiaries, is better than any other possible items is BiS. The same item without any of these properties (warforged / socket / correct tertiaries) isn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can keep inventing various meanings for the word BiS, it will change nothing. An item which, once warforged, with socket and some specific set of tertiaries, is better than any other possible items is BiS. The same item without any of these properties (warforged / socket / correct tertiaries) isn't.
    Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

There are nuances, mate. If you want to make it a crime against humanity that it will now be nearly impossible to get fully 100% perfectly rolled BiS setup, go right ahead. It will be a lonely life, while the rest of us enjoy the heck out of actually having a gear incentive to keep raiding content.

I personally won't be alting NEARLY as much anymore, as I will be hunting 100% perfect items on my main ofc. And that benefits all the others raiding with me, as they get to enjoy my best character. This applies to everyone.
    Let's see for how many tiers you'll keep doing that after all your efforts will mean that you get from 0% BiS to 5% BiS, while the guy next to you, with much less effort, gets to 6% BiS just because of RNG. And when all your progress towards 5% BiS will consist of two somewhat lucky drops on week 2 out of 20.

You played D3? It's the same thing here, only with resets. The system makes sense without resets, but with resets it doesn't.
    Last edited by rda; 2014-10-23 at 04:02 PM.

I'm pretty sure that even if some of you got to personally design the loot system for WoD you'd still end up complaining about it within a month.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

There are nuances, mate. If you want to make it a crime against humanity that it will now be nearly impossible to get fully 100% perfectly rolled BiS setup, go right ahead. It will be a lonely life, while the rest of us enjoy the heck out of actually having a gear incentive to keep raiding content.
    Words have meanings. Follow them. BiS means "best in slot". I guess you forgot that, or never knew.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's see for how many tiers you'll keep doing that after all your efforts will mean that you get from 0% BiS to 5% BiS, while the guy next to you, with much less effort, gets to 6% BiS just because of RNG.
    RNG is a factor in loot in an MMORPG? LYNCH THE DEVS!

- - - Updated - - -

Words have meanings. Follow them. BiS means "best in slot". I guess you forgot that, or never knew.
    Yup, which means Tier chest is best-in-slot, instead of a random piece. Theoretically you could get warforged, socketed and tertiaried Tier chest, but you did get your BiS piece by obtaining the Tier chest of your setup. You're harping on about something that literally almost noone cares about (how optimal your BiS is) as something supposedly major, while completely ignoring how much more motivating and constructive the new system actually is.

Yup, which means Tier chest is best-in-slot, instead of a random piece. Theoretically you could get warforged, socketed and tertiaried Tier chest, but you did get your BiS piece by obtaining the Tier chest of your setup. You're harping on about something that literally almost noone cares about (how optimal your BiS is) as something supposedly major, while completely ignoring how much more motivating and constructive the new system actually is.
    What you call a BiS (which is really a base item for BiS) might be worse than a different item with warforged and / or socket. Hence it's not BiS. Because "B" isn't there. That different item with warforged and / or socket drops and you upgrade.

I think I will stop now. I see no point talking further.

Quote Originally Posted by Svayne View Post
    Edit: To clarify in advance, I neither care about BiS nor is this meant to be a discussion about BiS. If you really must make your post about BiS, then consider this a discussion about whether "preventing the 1% or less of players that were actually managing BiS during normal-length tiers from obtaining BiS anymore" is worth all of the incoming changes to loot and gear. It's an imaginary problem with almost no statistical significance.

My main issues with all of the changes to be discussed here are 1) the dampening of min/maxing via gear customization (though many will laugh at the notion), caused largely by the randomization of sockets rather than them remaining standard as they are currently, and 2) the changes to the way tier works, particularly the ability for tier to proc as WF, socketed, etc., when tokens are turned in. At the very least, bonuses should appear on the tier token so that we can more easily decide who to loot them to in our raids. At most, tier should be reverted to its original system for simplicity: no bonuses, no randomization. Tier is tier, and tier is a good thing to have.

There's also the incredible loot frustration that is sure to come of adding a second randomized, performance-enhancing affix (sockets); the upgrades that people want or need are going to be incredibly specific within x amount of weeks of raiding any given tier. Of a single item, there are: the blank version (no bonuses), the socketed version, the WF version, and the WFS (WF-socket) version. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how this will eventually translate into an even bigger pile of epic shards in your guild bank than usual.

TLDR; WF-style sockets (non-standard and not guaranteed) and tier having a chance to proc WF, etc., is bad for the game in more than a couple of ways. I believe changes are needed (see the bottom of the post).

Randomization on gear in WoD includes randomized sockets (instead of the standard sockets we currently have), the continued existence of Warforged items, and Tertiary stats (Speed, Avoidance, Leech, Indestructible). The problem is randomized sockets. Warforged alone was fine; it had an acceptably average impact on the rate of upgrades dropping in raids and did not cause a very large divide in player ranking and performance. The addition of randomized sockets effectively triples the chances that you will only find disappointment each time a boss dies, finding that it dropped the wrong version of an item you already had -- i.e. you have a WF chest piece, so you need a socketed WF piece, but it only ever drops a blank, a WF, or a socket-only piece instead of the perfect piece you need. That's if it drops the item at all.

There are other outlining issues that crop up as consequences of the incoming changes; some affect only a small portion of players, others affect a much larger number of us. Said issues are discussed further down the body of this post.

In it's current state, gearing in WoD is going to be a travesty.

Gear customization is being gutted, particularly in terms of gems. "More powerful gems," but fewer of them ultimately boils down to less ability to fine tune and play around with your stats in the interests of experimentation and min/maxing. I won't comment on enchants since they're one-per-slot by level of power each expansion anyway.

Then there's the way sockets themselves are going to work. WF itself was a pretty poor idea, but at least it was only one extra thing that we had to worry about in terms of getting gear to drop. That said, the extra 6 item levels alone made a big difference in performance over not having them. But now we have sockets working on the same system as WF. They aren't standard, they only have a chance to drop, which means gear customization is literally limited to chance, with the exception of enchants.

Having trouble finally getting that Mythic piece to drop? Well, don't worry, you'll get it eventually. Except it probably won't be both WF+Socket. It has a greater chance of being 1 of the 2 or neither. This isn't even considering tertiary stats, which aren't a huge deal, but there are certain to be one or two that are especially advantageous to stack.

And now they're attaching these "bonuses" to tier tokens. Not only will you need to have a boss drop your tier token and then win said token through whatever loot system your guild or group uses, but you will then have to hope that it procs as WF when you turn the token in. If you aren't trying to min/max, you may not be particularly worried about doing repeat turn-ins for a socket and/or tertiaries, but having full or near-full WF is a huge boost in raw output, whether it be healing or damage. Everyone will want to do repeat turn-ins for WF tier, and tier tokens are already the most sought-after and competitive-to-win pieces of loot as it is, since multiple classes (+ all specs of those classes) share the same tokens, and tokens are limited. Imagine the potential loot drama in pugs and newer, less seasoned guilds.

It's a good thing stats on gear change dynamically based on spec in WoD, because this new tier system alone would kill off-spec gearing until everyone's MS tier was full WFS.

Now, I read somewhere that they're "increasing" the chances for these suffixes per se (WF, socket, tertiary) to drop on gear compared to current WF rates, but all this does is remind me of D3 and how they increased the legendary drop rates by 100%. And, sure enough, plenty of people have been comparing the direction that gear/loot is going in Warlords of Draenor to Diablo 3's loot system lately. This isn't a good thing.

At the risk of sounding saltier than usual, if I wanted a Diablo-style gear grind, I would play Diablo. I do play Diablo, and I get enough of its often fruitless gear grind during those play sessions. The difference there is that I can spam rifts, bounties, and everything else as much as I want, as often as I want. Raids and loot lockouts don't exist in Diablo like they do in WoW, where I'll only have weekly chances at getting the gear I need to drop, and then get it to drop again with more suffixes as needed.

These changes are all but confirmed to be attempts to A) extend the life of tiers and B) cause BiS to be more difficult to obtain. The issue here is that 1% or less of players actually obtain BiS over the course of normal-length tiers (ones that aren't SoO or DS). Preventing that <1% from obtaining BiS is hardly worth all of the problems that are sure as day going to come of the changes to loot and gear in WoD.

The changes to gems, sockets, and tier are superfluous at best, and are inevitably going to do little but cause great frustration and animosity within the organized raiding community. Maybe not at first, since everyone will be busy enjoying the fresh scenery and content, but eventually all anyone will be able to think about is when their off-set legs are going to drop as WF with a socket, or when they'll get another chance to turn in a tier token to try for WF tier gloves, or a chest piece with a socket. Look for the signs around the time the first couple of guilds start finishing the tier.

The worst case scenario (granted, it's a tad extreme) is that one mid-ranking guild has absolutely dreadful luck with loot and another one has incredible luck. The performance difference between a very well-geared group (lots of WF, sockets, and WFS + good tertiaries) and one with absolutely dreadful luck with suffixes WILL be noticeable for non-world ranking guilds. Further down the hardcore/casual totem pole, some groups will find it difficult to push into more difficult content simply because they're taking even longer than usual to get into strong enough gear to off-set any experience deficits they may be struggling with. This just reminds me again of Diablo 3, where your luck with rolls on the same pieces as another player can quite easily be the difference between clearing that next Grift and earning a new rank or failing by a few seconds.

I know this is a lot to read, and I may come off a little salty or sensationalist, but I'm genuinely worried about (for starters) the health of many raiding communities when it comes to the mounting frustration with gear that's sure to accompany these new loot systems. I'm also quite passionate about this game and I hate the idea of the experience being mucked up by such superfluous changes to... mostly working systems.

For one, consider the potential loot drama surrounding the new tier token system, especially in less seasoned raid groups and pugs. Humans are greedy, and are sure to cause problems over wanting tier tokens to try to turn in for WF/socketed versions of pieces they already have instead of letting someone who does not have their tier bonuses yet have a token. This obviously won't be as big of a problem with organized guild groups with their own loot systems, but it will still be an issue for many.

There's also the ideal of wanting to feel like we have more control over our stats and our performance as raiders, both casual and hardcore. Being able to play with and fine-tune our many different stat values is fun and interesting, but less so when our options to do so are so limited. Performance difference between small differences in stat customization may not be big on paper, but the idea of min/maxing every last point of stat still matters and is very enjoyable to a lot of people.

I'm not asking for the return of reforging or massive quantities of sockets; all I'd like to see is more fine-tunable, min/maxable gear customization. More options. Less RNG, less frustration. Gear customization is fun, but the current system is hardly worth calling "customization" compared to what we have now. We're going from one extreme (large amounts of customization) to another (little to none, based on luck with loot), when we should be looking for a middle ground such as simple reduction of socket quantities.

All things stated, I would implore the developers to at least consider & discuss a few things:

1. Revert tier to its original system, or a slightly modified one: no chance at WF or sockets, but keep tertiaries. Alternatively, remove all affixes from tier completely. Guaranteeing sockets but removing other suffixes may also be an option. Edit: Having the affixes roll when the tier token drops instead of when it's turned it would be more acceptable than the current system as well. Being able to see if a token will reward a WF piece or not, for example, would make life a lot easier for everyone, especially organized guild groups.

2. Remove sockets from the "WF loot table" and add them back to gear as standards, just with fewer of them, i.e. only one or two sockets on chest pieces as opposed to the current standard of three. Gems could have their bonuses reduced to compensate for the return of standard sockets without much of an effect on balance or tuning (if any at all).

3. Look back over tertiary stats. Consider reducing the power of some that could be especially strong when stacking them (such as Leech or Avoidance). Consider guaranteeing a random tertiary on all loot to make it less frustrating to never get the ones you want (or, worse, to never get any at all). I know that many people would find it nice to know they're at least getting SOMETHING extra on their gear.

I know my ideas aren't revolutionary or necessarily new, but I hope you'll take my words into consideration. Thanks for reading.

And? thats how vanilla was and it was amazing... hell even tbc was the same... Why can't you just go with what you have? why you need to get everything? They might as well give you a button that says kill, and kill everything around ya....

Sounds like you have OCD dude... whats the difference if it has different sockets and not the ones that fit your spec or class? Does it matter? everyone is going to go through that stage anyways... damn qqers!

10+ Year Old Account
    What you call a BiS (which is really a base item for BiS) might be worse than a different item with warforged and / or socket. Hence it's not BiS. Because "B" isn't there. That different item with warforged and / or socket drops and you upgrade.

I think I will stop now. I see no point talking further.
    Again, you are harping on about a technicality.
    Yes, it can be even better, there is a "perfect" version of your BiS piece - nontheless, that piece IS the best-in-slot, as there are other pieces for that slot that are not. As commonly illustrated by raiders identifying non-warforged drop X as "their BiS", and not "their suboptimal drop".

I feel like this loot system was designed for personalized loot. If someone randomly gets a "perfect" piece of gear through the personalized system, good for them. It has nothing to do with you at all. On the other hand I do not look forward to having to deal with this loot system in a mythic setting. Most of our raiders already didn't like warforged gear, doubling down on this concept is even less appealing. If my guild is a good representation of other mythic raiders, I would imagine many would rather have mythic gear to be more static.

My other concern is this new loot system will be used as an excuse to extend the lifetime of content. I don't remember very many people actually managing to attain full BiS the first two tiers in MoP. By the time most people got close, the next tier was open. It only really became an issue in SoO, but that was because the tier lasted a year. Obviously the new loot system will remedy this issue, but it was only really ever a problem when content was stretched far beyond what it should have.