The Dangers of Teenage Virtual Addiction

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...ntcmp=features

Thought this article was interesting. It is one person's opinion but is well written. I certainly do not think what the author writes about pertains to everyone but it is still a bit scary....
    Last edited by littlegram; 2014-09-27 at 01:09 PM.

I don't know, people have always found something to get hooked on whether is was chess, fishing, sports, reading, etc

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Agreed ^^ I have read more than one article stating that gaming increases hand-eye coordination as well as other benefits, so...

Fox News. I need not even bother wasting a second on their articles or "research".

I saw 'foxnews' in the link and my first thought was "not this shit again". Like with all activities there are a select few who take it to the extreme and in Fox' alternate reality this means that 90% of all youths are damaged beyond repair by those dang video games and the Twitter. If a kid shows all the scary symptoms of virtual addiction there is probably some emotional/mental issue behind it. But ofc it's far easier to just blame the medium instead of looking at the root cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

10+ Year Old Account
    Compared to the extreme circumstances where gaming actually make a not already stable person go nuts, this is found in any other activity in the world.

Anyways the benefits of being addictive to a computer outweights the possible negative things that can happen in my oppinion.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

This thread has left me disappointed, I had images of sad lonely housewives with a dangerous addiction to virtual teenagers.

Deleted
    "Teenage virtual addiction"

Ah yes, the great "virtual addiction" crisis, it's worse than the "Rock music addiction crisis" in the 50s or the "Great Hippy crisis" in the 60s, this will truely destroy society as we know it, we must unite and enroll all our children into the military so that they will fight and die for our supreme overlords for "freedom" before they can be infected with the "Internet" virus.
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2014-09-27 at 01:35 PM.

I agree that overuse of virtual games can cause antisocial behavior, social anxiety, withdrawal.

But being addicted to gaming is a lot safer than about every other addiction on Earth, so why not embrace it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post

Ah yes, the great "virtual addiction" crisis, it's worse than the "Rock music addiction crisis" in the 50s or the "Great Hippy crisis" in the 60s, this will truely destroy society as we know it,
    you mean, for real this time?
    I'll ask my grandpa if he still has his "THE END IS NIGH" sign in the shed

I somehow doubt you will ever see fox run one of these on the 'dangers of gun-nuttery' or the 'dangers of spending too much time at church'
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post

Ah yes, the great "virtual addiction" crisis, it's worse than the "Rock music addiction crisis" in the 50s or the "Great Hippy crisis" in the 60s, this will truely destroy society as we know it, we must unite and enroll all our children into the military so that they will fight and die for our supreme overlords for "freedom" before they can be infected with the "Internet" virus.
    but the hippy movement did leaving a gaping wound in society... spurred on by philosophers of the 40's and 50's they created this post-modern cess pool where nothing is real, everything is subjective, and everyone's "opinion" is valid.

Deleted
    All the BS aside there is normal and balanced behaviour and there us addiction which comes in many forms but are all seeking or deriving pleasure in some form. Repetition of such acts leads to altered brain chemistry leading to greater and greater dependence on them and difficulty in stopping.

It isn't helpful for the media to label things as addictive as it is entirely subject to individual tendencies. Simple test for anyone unsure is to remove the 'addiction' for a good amount of time to see if negative symptoms appear.

Owing to personal experience withdrawal symptoms for say a computer game addiction aren't as severe as a chemically based but still not trivial enough to be dismissed. I'll repeat that anything that can derive pleasure in the brain can and may cause addiction. That addiction becomes a physical condition if left unchecked.