Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Inacceptable, we shouldn't have to put up with THEIR incompetence in balancing specs.
    This is a l2p thing. for every class at high end there is only one dps spec for certain gear levels. They balance for the average raider not those pushing Mythics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    souuuundss... lika l2p issue
    Compared to my lock, shadow priest and hunters that I have played it has felt the weakest in terms of quality of upgrades.

And my shadow priest has had enough hate thrown at it over the years (coupled with the fact that for 3 expansions I was forced to heal progression on it didnt help).

In terms of gimpage its to do with the QoL gameplay, rather than a L2P problem, if you dont know someone its not the sort of throw away insult that should be done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    This is a l2p thing. for every class at high end there is only one dps spec for certain gear levels. They balance for the average raider not those pushing Mythics.
    Didnt feel like that, fire felt very flat waiting for crits, arcane has felt very unplayable due to mana and dps issues lower end gear, and frost was the only viable spec and it was fairly boring.

Whilst top end game the specs do tend to be levelled out better as mage does scale well, at lower end its annoying that you get 1 spec to play if you want any chance to be taken seriously. I dont like being forced to cookie cutter and that is what it has felt since about patch 4, at least back in TBC I could use frost or fire and they were equally viable to kill illidan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Not after the latest nerf.
    What is this nerf you speak of that has made some spec no longer working or viable?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostyx77 View Post
    Compared to my lock, shadow priest and hunters that I have played it has felt the weakest in terms of quality of upgrades.

And my shadow priest has had enough hate thrown at it over the years (coupled with the fact that for 3 expansions I was forced to heal progression on it didnt help).

In terms of gimpage its to do with the QoL gameplay, rather than a L2P problem, if you dont know someone its not the sort of throw away insult that should be done.
    Gimped means "has poor dps" or "doesn't scale well" QoL gameplay would warrant "quirky" or "inconvenient". THe fact that you complain about QoL stuff though implies you don't grasp that these are part of the skill cap and nuances of the class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    I think you are confusing incompetence with not having thw time or man power to balance 24 specs perfectly. Every change they make to could potentially break 2 other things, multiply that for every dps spec in the game and you'll easily see why they want to focus on having at least 1 usable spec before worrying about having 3. It would be noce to have 3 balanced viable specs, but as someone with realistic expectations of the world around me, I understand why they would prioritize having a working spec for release rather than 3 almost working specs.

Speaking of 3 working specs, right now we are the only pure dps with 3 working viable specs. There's no reason to be worried about mages damage wise right now.
    Personally I am not worried about the damage, i raided when all 3 mage specs were in the bottom 5 dps specs and then back to the top of the charts, its more the QoL that has been spoken about repeatedly on these forums, and from what I have read it doesnt feel it.

I am prepared to wait until WoD launches and I have done the raid a few times before i properly make my mind up, as beta & ptr are 1 thing, live environment is a different kettle of fish.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Didnt feel like that, fire felt very flat waiting for crits, arcane has felt very unplayable due to mana and dps issues lower end gear, and frost was the only viable spec and it was fairly boring.

Whilst top end game the specs do tend to be levelled out better as mage does scale well, at lower end its annoying that you get 1 spec to play if you want any chance to be taken seriously. I dont like being forced to cookie cutter and that is what it has felt since about patch 4, at least back in TBC I could use frost or fire and they were equally viable to kill illidan.
    They might have felt like they were equally viable, but there was a difference back then as well. You will always have one spec which is better than the other two.

at least back in TBC I could use frost or fire and they were equally viable to kill illidan.
    I'm pretty sure that's because the Flames of Azzinoth were fire-immune? Arcane was a joke spec unless you funneled Innervates into it and posted screenshots on the forums. Frost wasn't competitive, it was just the Molten Core syndrome that it was the only option besides Fire. TBC isn't a terribly good example either considering Mages like to recall with venom that none of their specs were "viable" in Sunwell relative to the other class/caster options.

10+ Year Old Account

Except back then if you were anything other than Fire you were doing it wrong (unless you were facing immunities). There has never been a choice at the edge of progression for any class really. The mage has the advantage that the specs scale differently. Onc you cap out Frost you go Fire. If you are good enough with Arcane (mana issues at the correct gear level are a skill/not understanding the spec issue) then you go Arc once you cap out Fire.

Frost favors Haste/Mastery, Fire favors Crit/Mastery, and Arc favors Mastery/Crit. The class is probably the best rounded class in the game with just enough ease of access, depth, and high skill caps for each spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorindahl View Post
    [A]ren't you guys looking forwards to kick ass yet again, in another world?
    Yes, so long as my Arcane Mage still has some non-Arcane spells to fill with.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

So all I'm asking is... aren't you guys looking forwards to kick ass yet again, in another world?
    Mage will always be relevant when it comes to DPS abilities, just it feels bland to play one(Fire mostly). And there aren't really many changes coming for us. Almost nothing changes, Arcane the most, but that is expected as there hasn't been an expansion where Arcane is untouched yet in a way or another. We get a few new skills, nothing amazing though and again for Fire PoV mostly boring(at least on single target).

It's just really hard to get excited about being a Mage nowdays, if you want to raid and do DPS then Mage is great, just not sure if you will have your maximum fun on a Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Mage will always be relevant when it comes to DPS abilities, just it feels bland to play one(Fire mostly). And there aren't really many changes coming for us. Almost nothing changes, Arcane the most, but that is expected as there hasn't been an expansion where Arcane is untouched yet in a way or another. We get a few new skills, nothing amazing though and again for Fire PoV mostly boring(at least on single target).

It's just really hard to get excited about being a Mage nowdays, if you want to raid and do DPS then Mage is great, just not sure if you will have your maximum fun on a Mage.
    I'm really hoping that with Water Jet finally being added Frost will be more viable for longer again in WoD like it was at the start of MoP with freeze forcing FoF procs.

But the mage is a dps, with not less than three dps specs.
    Arcane is shit? Go fire/frost. Oh, fire just got nerfed? Frost it is then! etc. etc.
    Have three same-role specs.
    Only 1 is playable.
    "Why are you complaining?"

kek

It's nice to say "you can just switch specs" but the reality is that if I spend half a tier collecting crit / haste gear for Fire, and all the sudden now Frost is dominant, switching to Frost entails a DPS hit due to poorly itemized gear. It's not just "hurrdurr go play another spec."

Deleted
    Hello.

Reading through all the forums, I see a lot of scepticalism, and well-deserved ofc!
    All classes are going through major changes, and it can be a bit intimidating to see your class
    being stripped of something, that you saw as iconic for your class.

But the mage is a dps, with not less than three dps specs. Even though a lot of changes are hitting the mage,
    don't you guys belive that the mage will always be dominating? Arcane is shit? Go fire/frost. Oh, fire just got nerfed? Frost it is then! etc. etc.

If you had ONE dps spec, I could understand why people are so scared. But you got three choices. Among one of those, is a top-3 spec.

The mage has been strong in every patch, in every expansion. Because of this trinity of destruction.

So all I'm asking is... aren't you guys looking forwards to kick ass yet again, in another world?
    so what's the difference with Warlocks, Rogues, Hunters then? Nothing, and mages aren't even top dps right now so this thread doesn't make any sence

Deleted
    i play arcane since ulduar and i rather not change speccs

I WILL FIND WAYS TO MAKE ARCANE OP!

Deleted
    Just be nice to have a choice... that is all. I enjoy fire and frost quite a lot and have tended to suffer Arcane until the state it is in currently. Just be nice to have the freedom to say i want to play a goblin fire mage and stick to that, kind of like in a RPG, but i forget we don't technically play an MMORPG anymore.

That goes for PvP too, although i enjoy frost PvP it would kind of cool if Arcane was viable for a change. One of the cases for the stat squish was the easier balancing of damage in respective classes. Seems like nothing will change and we will be forced to play specs we don't enjoy in classes we do for many years to come.

But the mage is a dps, with not less than three dps specs. Even though a lot of changes are hitting the mage,
    don't you guys belive that the mage will always be dominating? Arcane is shit? Go fire/frost. Oh, fire just got nerfed? Frost it is then! etc. etc.

If you had ONE dps spec, I could understand why people are so scared. But you got three choices. Among one of those, is a top-3 spec.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Just because my class has 3 DPS specs doesn't mean a single one of them is allowed to be garbage. That's the old Vanilla/BC mentality of "well, I have at least 1 spec that isn't crippled". If Blizzard wants to have 34 specs in the game, you bet your ass that they need to be balancing all 34 of them.

I can understand one of them being a bit better in DPS (like live, all 3 specs have never been closer together than Siege), but not mechanically broken and left in the dust.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Unfortunately mage has felt very gimped for a long time for me, whilst there are 3 specs, its almost as though you have certain points where you HAVE to play certain specs to actually be invited to groups.
    Are you serious with this????

Come on man, you have to be trolling........

Quote Originally Posted by Komman View Post
    What is this nerf you speak of that has made some spec no longer working or viable?
    I have the same question, according to all sims and testing all 3 specs are currently within the top 6 casters. (one of them being the top caster)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    Are you serious with this????

Come on man, you have to be trolling........
    He's actually not, with being forced to play one spec for most of the expansions. However, they've gotten a lot better with it in MoP and it's never been better between the three. WoD's looking good too, but Fire is virtually shit until you get the T17 2P/4P, and fixing core issues with tier bonuses (and talents for that matter) is really stupid.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.