Super Adventure Hiking Advise.

So I've been planning my next big vacation adventure which I wish to have sometime in the next 2 years and I've decided that I would really love to spend a few days hiking through the Canadian Shield. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Shield) There are noob trails available, but obviously even those require some specialized gear and knowledge.

So I'm wondering if anybody who has dabbled in such a thing has any advise on equipment, field manuals, books to read, courses to take, wild life deterrence (The main predators in the shield would be wolves, coyotes, and black bears, although a horny bull moose is probably just as dangerous) etc.

Thanks!

Sounds awesome. I just came back from the NWT, hunting for moose actually and caribou. I hike a lot and hunt a lot in the rockies. Take light gear, as light as possible, but strong and durable. Water bottle(1 liter), dried camp food that you can mix with hot water, fire starter kit, or just a few lighters if you know how to start a fire without anything extra. Obviously light rain gear, worn in boots, medium weight socks with sock liner, skin glue(not mole skin) Duct tape works way better than mole skin. If you don't have a firearm for bears or anything just bring bear replant, but always keep your eyes open. Keep your food away from your camp site. Camp inside timber if possible. It provides cover from the elements and great firewood. Hiking sticks really help out the knees when going downhill. Get yourself a good quality tent, like Hilleberg Tents, as well as a solid backpack, I use Mystery Ranch packs. If you can still carry, I would bring a camp heater, one that is light, with plenty of fuel and a way you can heat up water with(for food or cleansing it). Pack a spoon, for, knife. A solid knife is great to have. Bring a book and a camera, also some light camp shoes, so you don't have to be in your boots all day while resting in camp. Not sure what time of year you'll go but obviously prepare for cold/rain/snow/fog. Bring a head lamp, satellite phone, maps, and always tell a few people where you're going and when you expect to be back in town. Hope this helps a bit. (Sorry for the wall of text, I am in a rush.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Genoreaper89 View Post
    Sounds awesome. I just came back from the NWT, hunting for moose actually and caribou. I hike a lot and hunt a lot in the rockies. Take light gear, as light as possible, but strong and durable. Water bottle(1 liter), dried camp food that you can mix with hot water, fire starter kit, or just a few lighters if you know how to start a fire without anything extra. Obviously light rain gear, worn in boots, medium weight socks with sock liner, skin glue(not mole skin) Duct tape works way better than mole skin. If you don't have a firearm for bears or anything just bring bear replant, but always keep your eyes open. Keep your food away from your camp site. Camp inside timber if possible. It provides cover from the elements and great firewood. Hiking sticks really help out the knees when going downhill. Get yourself a good quality tent, like Hilleberg Tents, as well as a solid backpack, I use Mystery Ranch packs. If you can still carry, I would bring a camp heater, one that is light, with plenty of fuel and a way you can heat up water with(for food or cleansing it). Pack a spoon, for, knife. A solid knife is great to have. Bring a book and a camera, also some light camp shoes, so you don't have to be in your boots all day while resting in camp. Not sure what time of year you'll go but obviously prepare for cold/rain/snow/fog. Bring a head lamp, satellite phone, maps, and always tell a few people where you're going and when you expect to be back in town. Hope this helps a bit. (Sorry for the wall of text, I am in a rush.)
    This guy made some really good points I think. I use to hike on the AT in the US and lightness really is a huge thing. You'll really feel every pound you're carrying. I was actually coming to post something like moleskin or duct tape but he covered that :P Taking care of your feet is important, I wear thin socks under hiking socks it helps prevent blisters. Bring extra socks in case.

I think something really worth repeating that he said too is : tell a few people where you will be and when you'll be back. Sometimes there are also nearby rangers or local authorities who's number it is good to have. Newer hikers I use to go with sometimes wouldn't realize how much water you really need, you'll drink a lot but you may also need to use it for other things. I'd also bring some purifying tablets or a purifier.

Hmm what else. I'd do a bear bag or something similar and remember you wana put anything that has a scent in it, including tooth paste. Doesn't need to be fancy or expensive. That's good you know what predators are there, make sure you know how to react to each type too. Idk if you're going alone or not, but when I've went alone I keep keys or something metally dangling to make noise, it seems to deter any wild things from getting curious.

Have fun man! I bet it's beautiful up there, take lots of pictures

Here is a good list from REI. The 10 essentials.
    http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advi...ssentials.html

I can't stress enough having a good topo map and knowing how to use a compass...orienteering. Practice it. I'd also recommend learning to navigate by the stars too (i can do basic navigation but really need to work on it. Some great apps that teach it...at least for the ios)
    Smartphones and GPS are great for navigating but they are electronic. If you do have a smartphone, i'd recommend LifeProof Cases.

Sat phone, you can rent them. Money well spent.

Know the flora and fauna where you will be.

Good knives. I carry a small swiss army one that has a phillips head, flat head screw drivers for my stove, also has scissors and tweezers. I also carry a full blade.

Water purifier. Friend's dad got a gardia infection from not treating water...you don't want that shit.

As Geno mentioned never cook near where you are sleeping. Do not store your food where you are sleeping. Brush your teeth, do your dishes, clean up away from where you are sleeping. Don't bring snacks to bed unless you want visitors. Sure raccoon are not terribly dangerous but I don't think you'll want one as a cuddle buddy. In bear country, as was suggested, a bear bag. Some areas will insist on bear cannisters...but they are pain to haul around.

In Denali (Alaska) I had bear spray with me. From all accounts it works well. I prefer it to a gun since I really do not want to hurt the bear...i am in his back yard...but i also don't want to be lunch. If it works on a bear it will work on smaller things too...not sure about a honey badger...they don't seem to give a shit about anything (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg).

More on Bear Spray
    http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/...ar%20spray.pdf
    http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...-or-Spray.html

Again, as Geno mentioned, being aware will save you more than anything else. However, from the critters you mentioned, they will probably hear you and avoid you before you see them.

Your boots...make sure they are well broken in. Also have proper socks. A thin liner and a thicker wool one works very well as Bomb mentioned. Always have spare socks and keep them in zip lock bags to keep them dry. Also have a repair kit for your boots. Don't forget spare laces.

If you have not done a lot of hiking i would do day trips with all your gear so you can get used to it and break in your boots. Also practice and test all your equipment.

Good luck and have fun.