Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    OP, thanks a lot for the post.

Three questions:

1. Just to reconfirm, garrison resources (GR) are a currency, right? You can't send garrison resources to your alts, correct?

2. Trading Post and exchanging materials for GR - does this work both ways, ie, can you both (a) give the vendor materials and take GR, as well as (b) give him GR and take materials, or is it only one way?

3. You suggest taking lumber mill on alts, but the work orders for lumber mill require marking trees, so - how long does it usually take to mark trees for a day load of work orders, in minutes? Can you do this within the garrison or do the trees only grow in the wild (if it is the latter, perhaps there will be competition, no?)? Can you log in and mark enough trees to last you, say, 3 days or, ideally, a week?

Thanks a lot in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cremor View Post
    I don't have a source right now, but I read somewhere that the Alchemy building won't let you craft the best flasks if you don't have alchemy as a profession.
    You could get a enchanting building. That way you can disenchant all your soulbound quest/dungeon rewards.
    This is true, those without alchemy can make +200 flasks. Those with alchemy make +250.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    1. Just to reconfirm, garrison resources (GR) are a currency, right? You can't send garrison resources to your alts, correct?
    Yup

2. Trading Post and exchanging materials for GR - does this work both ways, ie, can you both (a) give the vendor materials and take GR, as well as (b) give him GR and take materials, or is it only one way?
    Work orders are started each day by paying 5 of a random material (changes daily) for 20 GR in return.
    there is a trader in the building that exchanges GR for any material (skin, herb, ore, fish, meat) at 20GR for 5 material.

3. You suggest taking lumber mill on alts, but the work orders for lumber mill require marking trees, so - how long does it usually take to mark trees for a day load of work orders, in minutes? Can you do this within the garrison or do the trees only grow in the wild (if it is the latter, perhaps there will be competition, no?)? Can you log in and mark enough trees to last you, say, 3 days or, ideally, a week?
    They grow in the world only, so y there can be competition. But they got a ton of spawn points so still might not take long. Currently for 19 work orders you need 190 timber. It takes me 20 minutes in Nagrand (small gives you 4-6, medium 7-10, large 11-14) since there are a lot of large ones there. All zones are good tho and yes you can like log your alt and farm 1k at once if you want and then send work orders as available. 19 work orders take 76 hours, so it won't be a big deal to do it once every 3 days.

^^ Thank you.

20 minutes of farming timber every 3 days per alt does indeed look quite reasonable. Regarding the Trading Post, from the prices it seems that this could be a way to transport GR from one char to another, if they both build it (there's no loss on two-way exchange). This could be useful.

Some other questions:

-Can you send Draenic Stones and seeds to your alts or they are soulbound? If they are soulbound, is the seeds/stones you get from mine and herb garden enough to fill all the work orders of the day? For example, assuming you login each day to gather the herbs/mines. Day has 24 hours, so 6 work orders can be done within a day. Lets assume that you log in specific time each day to gather the ores/herbs. Do you get enough seeds/stones for 6 work orders?

-Barn also follows the rule of 9-14-21 work orders regarding its level? And if yes, can you trap 21 beasts on one go and then turn them into work orders? Or you can do only 1 per time, go back to garrison and then go trap a beast again? Also can you trap as much as you want (100 for example) and then just log to put work orders?

-When you build the inn, do you get your first weekly follower immediately? Is it on a fixed day (tuesday for example on reset/maintenance) or it is 1 week from the day you build it and continues like this depending on what day you built it?

-Isn't better to get the inn for the first 2-3 weeks to get followers with mine, Herb and your profession trait and then scrap it and build something else? Or you will 100% get those traits until level 100?
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2014-09-29 at 09:10 AM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    The amount of work orders per building only acts as a 'buffer'? The higher the work order count, the longer you do not have to log in an that character? The way I understand it, you only have to log on each char every 4*workordercount hours to still get the maximum output.
    So it's pick up everything, fill work order list, log off character and only come back shortly before the last work order is finished, pick stuff up, start new work orders, etc?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Can you send Draenic Stones and seeds to your alts or they are soulbound? If they are soulbound, is the seeds/stones you get from mine and herb garden enough to fill all the work orders of the day? For example, assuming you login each day to gather the herbs/mines. Day has 24 hours, so 6 work orders can be done within a day. Lets assume that you log in specific time each day to gather the ores/herbs. Do you get enough seeds/stones for 6 work orders?
    They are soulbound. A lvl 2 mine can give you 15ish stones depending on you luck. A lvl 3 can put that to 25. Same goes for garden. Again you might be lucky, on some days i get less on some i get for 7 orders.

Barn also follows the rule of 9-14-21 work orders regarding its level? And if yes, can you trap 21 beasts on one go and then turn them into work orders? Or you can do only 1 per time, go back to garrison and then go trap a beast again? Also can you trap as much as you want (100 for example) and then just log to put work orders?
    Amount of work orders is same for all buildings yes. And indeed you can trap as many as you want, just do note they don't stack, so you will fill bags quickly. you get 1 new trap per building lvl, each can catch different mobs (all that the previous one does + some more ). Each has 30sec cd.

When you build the inn, do you get your first weekly follower immediately? Is it on a fixed day (tuesday for example on reset/maintenance) or it is 1 week from the day you build it and continues like this depending on what day you built it?
    It resets on maintenance day, but you get the first one right away (say you build it on friday). you could also make an inn, get follower, replace inn. Then next week just repeat. Note that this is expensive resource wise and the only one that pays off is if you don't upgrade the other building (making it only 300 GR per week, witch you get for free every 2 days )

Isn't better to get the inn for the first 2-3 weeks to get followers with mine, Herb and your profession trait and then scrap it and build something else? Or you will 100% get those traits until level 100?
    Answer above for replacing. The traits are all RNG so nothing guarantees it, except ofc in the inn. Also always recruit rare (blue) or epic (purple) followers, as they have more traits

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
    The amount of work orders per building only acts as a 'buffer'? The higher the work order count, the longer you do not have to log in an that character? The way I understand it, you only have to log on each char every 4*workordercount hours to still get the maximum output.
    So it's pick up everything, fill work order list, log off character and only come back shortly before the last work order is finished, pick stuff up, start new work orders, etc?
    Something like that. Work orders refresh on a 4 hour per order interval. So if you fill all up today (say 19) you can get back in 3 days to pick all up and refill.

7+ Year Old Account
    -Barn also follows the rule of 9-14-21 work orders regarding its level? And if yes, can you trap 21 beasts on one go and then turn them into work orders? Or you can do only 1 per time, go back to garrison and then go trap a beast again? Also can you trap as much as you want (100 for example) and then just log to put work orders?
    You can trap 21 beasts or as many as you can, but level 3 barn required Elite beasts in Nagrand. And trapped beasts dont stack, so you need free slot in your bags.
    If you build Mage Tower you can have a Portal direct to farming zone in Nagrand.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have began working on a big blog about garrisons. It will contain everything i posted here, more details, guides on farming important stuff, followers / missions.... absolutly everything about garrisons! Will post a link when it's done

Do note: this thread will constantly be updated with garrison related info as it was till now. I will just make a blog for those who want to know more.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizly View Post
    I have began working on a big blog about garrisons. It will contain everything i posted here, more details, guides on farming important stuff, followers / missions.... absolutly everything about garrisons! Will post a link when it's done

Do note: this thread will constantly be updated with garrison related info as it was till now. I will just make a blog for those who want to know more.
    Much appreciated. Really, thanks in advance. I am in the beta, but almost all my time is consumed by PVP, so I didn't have a chance to delve that deep into garrisons.

Deleted
    As a non scribe, how much does the scribe building help in getting the darkmoon cards? Assuming those trinkets are as good as previous expansions they'll be quite useful.

Also this guide is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizly View Post

Good luck on this I would definitely pay a visit to support your effort.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Re: Storehouse "utterly useless" for players who log in every day -- I bet a lot of players will take Storehouse because it gives access to bank, guild bank, void storage, and transmog in your garrison. Add Trading Post for a local AH and you have the entire economy at your fingertips (including Trade chat, now extended to Garrisons).

Re: Lumber mill on alts -- that'll help build up your alts' Garrisons, certainly. And they will need it because you presumably won't be consuming a lot of content on your alts that rewards Garrision Resources. However this doesn't advance your main toon directly.

On any toon, I figure Inn/Lumber Mill early in order to progress, and then transition to Barn/Trading Post to produce.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sounder View Post
    On any toon, I figure Inn/Lumber Mill early in order to progress, and then transition to Barn/Trading Post to produce.
    Since you can have only 1 medium building till 100, make a LM. Will help you get GR for mass building and upgrading on 100. Trust me, it cost a lot later

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Resania View Post
    As a non scribe, how much does the scribe building help in getting the darkmoon cards? Assuming those trinkets are as good as previous expansions they'll be quite useful.
    Here's a post from the blog-in-progress about scribe

Level 1:Allows milling. Allows production of Draenor scribe trinkets. Full list

Level 2: Allows production of Darkmoon cards, a staff and an off-hand item. All Darkmoon trinkets

Level 3: Allows production of another staff and a wand.

If your character has Inscription:

The NPC will sell Draenor recipes
    enables a daily craft which rewards Secrets of Draenor Jewelcrafting, used as a currency for said Draenor recipes (1 for jewelry/regular gems/stat reroll item, 3 for toys, 5 for greater gems, 15 for item upgrade similar to engineering one)

Work Order: 2 Cerulean Pigment for 1 War Paints and sometimes some Sorcerous Earth or Sorcerous Water. At level 100 all work orders have a chance to yield Apexis Crystal.

Follower Bonus: Increases work order yield. Crafts an item once a day that can be vendored for food or gold.

Hope this helps

OP writes: "Trading Post beats LM"

Why? I get that you can use TP to funnel alt production to your main and turn it into Garrison Resources. But the gold value of un-bound materials may be too high to justify burning them for GR, at least for a while. Lumber Mill produces GR for free, you just have to be active.

OP writes (many times): "Unlocks a quest line that will reward you with an very useful item."

I'd recommend going ahead and stating in the guide why the item is very useful instead of making people click the link and then wonder how hard it is to get the thing they're looking at by other means, or what it does for you exactly.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Excellent guide, Denny-boy. Much appreciated!

10+ Year Old Account
    OP writes: "Trading Post beats LM"
    Firstly, i suggest LM during leveling so you pick up timber along the way. This is there to ensure a nice amount of GR when you get your lvl 3 garrison.
    Secondly, so long as you don't try to build every single building and then replace it, you'll be fine without LM at 100. If this is the case tho, i am atm making a guide for those who run 1 character and want all buildings to unlock lvl 3 prints with them.

Now let's take a look why does is TP > LM in the end:

Raider: TP is there just to give you mats on demand for your raids (mainly food / fish), since as a raider you use a lot of gold, and if you don't have alts you might become poor (now more then ever with the absurd availability of mats). Barn is there for the same reason, mats. Do remember also that, you got a steady supply of ore / herbs to fill the TP and make it ''free'' work orders, barn will fix the occasional leather trade day.

Altoholic: You covered that quite well in your post, many LMs = lots of business in the TP

Gold Making: Obvious reasons

And lastly, do remember our good friend the Garrison Cache.

OP writes (many times): "Unlocks a quest line that will reward you with an very useful item."
    Corrected to ''item that you can trade for a lvl 2 blueprint in Ashran'', thx.
    Last edited by Denizly; 2014-09-29 at 11:04 PM.

Denizly, nice guide! I think anyone who goes to this much effort and provides so much great detail deserves lots of appreciation!

Can I toss out one general suggestion, as someone who's been in beta since early July and has focused most of my effort on sorting out the garrisons system? I'd maybe try to avoid saying that a given building is almost always the "best" option. I actually intend to make several choices in my own garrison configuration that are counter to your "best" recommendations...but I don't in any way intend to make this a debate. I am just trying to point out that there is a valid range of choices depending on quite a few factors.

The important part is that those new to garrisons get at least a good basic understanding of the buildings and the resource system so that they don't find themselves tapped out on resources and with buildings they don't want. And you're doing a nice job of providing that basic understanding.

Anyway, lovely work overall.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    So the storehouse sounds utterly useless for people who play regularly. I'm at a loss for what to do with my 3rd small plot now since I'm leather/skinning. Tannery, Salvage Yard, and.....there isn't any appealing third choice. I guess if the alchemy building will let me make flasks for raid it might win...
    You might consider Enchanting for your third plot just so you can DE stuff.

What about this for medium buildings

1)First the Lumber Mill
    2)Then Lumber Mill + Barn
    3)Get enought GS and demolish the Lumber Mill, and build an Inn isntead, in order to recluit followers with specifi trails
    4)When you have enough followers , demolish the Inn and build the Trading Post

What do you think about this? Using the Inn to recluit followers more efficient and then, switch to the tranding post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fenixazul View Post
    What about this for medium buildings

1)First the Lumber Mill
    2)Then Lumber Mill + Barn
    3)Get enought GS and demolish the Lumber Mill, and build an Inn isntead, in order to recluit followers with specifi trails
    4)When you have enough followers , demolish the Inn and build the Trading Post

What do you think about this? Using the Inn to recluit followers more efficient and then, switch to the tranding post
    1) Good, and suggested since the start
    2) Good so far
    3) Inn is useless :P once a week you get a follower. You can make an inn, recruit, then replace. lvl 1 mediums cost only 100GR. Keep a lvl 1 Tp up and every reset you can make an inn for a follower. And you won't need so much inn followers, there are so many followers to grab in the world. I got 18 by the time i dinged 100
    4) When you're happy with you followers (their skill set) the inn losses it's purpose (beyond treasure quests but that needs a lot of work to open up)

All in all, make an inn for Millhause! He is awesome

Several more questions:

1. Say, I have a plan for all slots for garrison level 2. From what I see, in order to buy all blueprints for buildings in the plan and then build these buildings, I will need roughly 1.5k per building on average, so, for 7 buildings total in garrison level 2, that would be about 10k, plus some garrison resources. Is that about right? For garrison level 3, my napking math works to about 25k (this is 15k more from garrison level 2 since we have more buildings and there is one more tier of blueprints / building) - is that about right?

2. Suppose I have garrison level 3 on main and I want to build the exact same garrison on an alt - I still have to buy the same blueprints again, correct, there's no gold saved? Ie, the main helps the alt only in that he *allows* the alt to buy level 3 blueprints for which they have shared achievements.

3. Can we batch-queue missions for when we are offline, similarly to work orders? I guess we can't use the same followers (if a particular follower is on a mission, you can't somehow schedule him to go to another mission when he returns), but perhaps if we have 15 followers, we can queue 5 missions with 3 different followers each?

Thanks in advance.