Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    While it's not actually the best it does perform quite well for the price. I use one on my i7 5820K overclocked to 4.4GHz
    Whoa. Me too... though mine is only at 4GHz, but still, it's enough for it!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Using evo 212 on my desktop 2500k@4.5 for 3 years now. I live in a tropical country, and the computer is placed in a home office, closed cabinet with NO air conditioning. Although i had to replace the push pull fan with noctua p12s last year.
    Last edited by Yizu; 2014-09-30 at 01:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd consider the Silverstone Argon, Be Quiet Shadow Rock and possibly the Raijintek Themis Evo better coolers than the CM 212 at a similar price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It's the loudest thing in my computer.
    Not that noticeable if you have other things going on but when it's quiet it's there
    Maybe if you run the fans at 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx
    Nope. Stock cooler from either Intel or AMD is the best value for money when you just want to run at stock clock speeds.
    Stock coolers run about 15-30c hotter than they should, even at stock speeds. You buy a Hyper 212 and you can keep your CPU around 40c at full load.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its good in its price range but it never was the big dog, as prices go up so do quality and performance, products like the noctua d15/u14s are competitors for the number one spot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Its good in its price range but it never was the big dog, as prices go up so do quality and performance, products like the noctua d15/u14s are competitors for the number one spot.
    For its price, I would say it's easily a big dog. For really aggressive OC, maybe not so much. I like mine quite a bit. It's quiet and effective. I'm considereing graduating to a closed liquid cooler eventually and trying to up my OC a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Stock coolers run about 15-30c hotter than they should, even at stock speeds. You buy a Hyper 212 and you can keep your CPU around 40c at full load.
    And the problem is...?

Both Intel and AMD design the stock coolers to handle the processors at stock speed... strange coincidence, isn't it?

Deleted
    I wouldn't buy anything from Noctua, the quality is there but so is the over pricing. I bought a 140MM Noctua fan for 30$ and then got a 140MM Cougar fan for 15$, both have fancy technology integrated in them to move air in a more cylindrical cone and are dead silent and come with different cables for different RPMs and all that.

If you want to show off saying "I have Noctua" go ahead, otherwise find cheaper variants, it's just not worth the overprice. Read reviews beforehand of course to make sure long term quality is there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    I'd consider the Silverstone Argon, Be Quiet Shadow Rock and possibly the Raijintek Themis Evo better coolers than the CM 212 at a similar price point.
    Agreed. I think it would be reasonable to ask more of the CM 212 Evo for what it costs. It's good for low overclocks and stock settings however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    For its price, I would say it's easily a big dog. For really aggressive OC, maybe not so much. I like mine quite a bit. It's quiet and effective. I'm considereing graduating to a closed liquid cooler eventually and trying to up my OC a bit.
    The difference between high end closed loops and high end air coolers really aint that big most of the time, for really aggressive OC'ing its better to go for custom loops but the price tag does follow it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference between high end closed loops and high end air coolers really aint that big most of the time, for really aggressive OC'ing its better to go for custom loops but the price tag does follow it.
    Of course. I'd almost rather not risk issues with a custom loop though.

I hear that often, but Id think asetek 570lc or something like that surely is also more quiet and maybe just abit better? Not worth spending money on closed loop?
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    And the problem is...?

Both Intel and AMD design the stock coolers to handle the processors at stock speed... strange coincidence, isn't it?
    Running hotter = shortening the life span of your parts + increasing the temps inside your case (affecting the rest of your parts). If you can run 15-30c cooler, why wouldn't you? That's well worth it, especially for people running at stock speeds who will potentially use the same PC for years (half a decade or more).

Stock coolers are fine when you're on a budget and using lower end CPUs. But if you're buying the fastest i5 that just came out, you want a better cooler than the stock one for obvious reasons. They don't have a better one for the i5 4690k, and a basic one for the i5 4430. They use the same cooler for both, which means your 4690k is going to run at higher temps than the 4430. That might be fine for web browsing and watching movies (why would you buy a 4690k for that?), but for someone looking to play games and push that CPU towards it's stock limits, the cooler that comes with it will not be adequate.

You want your silicone to last as long as possible, especially when you're paying $240 for it. That's why you buy a better cooler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Running hotter = shortening the life span of your parts + increasing the temps inside your case (affecting the rest of your parts). If you can run 15-30c cooler, why wouldn't you? That's well worth it, especially for people running at stock speeds who will potentially use the same PC for years (half a decade or more).

Stock coolers are fine when you're on a budget and using lower end CPUs. But if you're buying the fastest i5 that just came out, you want a better cooler than the stock one for obvious reasons. They don't have a better one for the i5 4690k, and a basic one for the i5 4430. They use the same cooler for both, which means your 4690k is going to run at higher temps than the 4430. That might be fine for web browsing and watching movies (why would you buy a 4690k for that?), but for someone looking to play games and push that CPU towards it's stock limits, the cooler that comes with it will not be adequate.

You want your silicone to last as long as possible, especially when you're paying $240 for it. That's why you buy a better cooler.

Well, seeing as Intel and AMD both design their chips to last 10-12 years AND to be running well under specifications when they set the thermal trip.. I would say thermal really isn't an issue except for affecting performance. Stock is perfectly fine as long as it is installed properly and you don't assume you can overclock on it (aka stock clocks). They design the heatsink to keep their CPU within a specified range of temperatures that they feel are safe. Silicon takes quite a bit of thermal energy to begin any form of breaking down (hooray for being a materials engineer!) and I can guarantee that even if your CPU was overheating for a year straight it would still last 10 years.

Short version: Intel and AMD set their thermal trips well before any major damage could ever be sustained.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2014-10-01 at 08:28 AM.

It really doesn't matter one bit if the CPU lasts for 35 or 40 years, because that's the ballpark we're talking about between stock cooler and third party cooler at stock speeds. Or are you planning to run current CPU for 40 years?

Quote Originally Posted by fixx
    It really doesn't matter one bit if the CPU lasts for 35 or 40 years, because that's the ballpark we're talking about between stock cooler and third party cooler at stock speeds. Or are you planning to run current CPU for 40 years?
    Considering the thermal limits of a CPU, it's entirely possible to hit those with a stock cooler right out of the box, damaging or even killing said CPU.

35 or 40 years? Do you even Thermal Limit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the thermal limits of a CPU, it's entirely possible to hit those with a stock cooler right out of the box, damaging or even killing said CPU.

Actually it's not. It would require about 200C to begin even breaking down the dielectrics.

What the hell are you talking about? Current generation Intel processors will do forced shutdown of the system when it reaches 95C and AMD processors at around 75C. It's not possible to burn down the chips with straight overheating unless you manage to break or disable temperature sensors on both CPU and motherboard at the same time. First thing that gives on silicon chips from overheating are the solder joints, and those require about 185C to melt away.

Reckless overvolting is pretty much the only way to lower modern silicon chips' life expectancy below few decades while still keeping it operational.
    Last edited by fixx; 2014-10-01 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? Current generation Intel processors will do forced shutdown of the system when it reaches 95C
    Wellll, I can give you screenshots of my 4770K being at 97-99°C core temperatures as reported as by a third-party app. I think it's reasonably within the scope of possibility that my CPU has reached ~95°C by then.
    That said, I'd be very surprised if this would be the reason it doesn't tick 15 years from now. Issues surrounding it is more likely, like wearing out memory controller or the VRM. Which is, indeed, linked to overclocking.
    But heat stress in and of itself? Doubtful.