Thread: WoD ret comps

WoD ret comps

Hello denizens of the MMO Champion forums.

A buddy of mine has been bitten by the fickle bug of hope and will be playing ret during the next expansion. I was hoping to tap into the members with a bit of experience with WoD beta and in general to theorize what might be good ret comps in 2v2 and 3v3 in WoD.

The reason being that I'd like to get a fresh start in levelling and getting familiar with a class so that we can hit the ground running come "11.13.14".

I should probably give two disclaimers at this point:

1. I am not asking for anyone to decide the most fun class. I'll make up my own mind.
    2. Obviously predictions may not be true and that is a risk I'm well aware of and am happy with.

I've been considering feral as they seem to have a bit of background together. Feral also seems to be in a very good place. Their CC also seem to go well together especially considering the instant blinding light and the removal of paladin fears. Nice room for some stun cross cc as well.

Rogues seem like a great option too. Rogues are also in a good spot. With the amount of rogue control in WoD and insane cross cc this could be a good one. Of course they've done well together in the past as well. I remember those Wrath days of rogue/ret in 2s. Good times.

Hunters of course have done well with ret in MoP, but that could just been due to the hunter itself, lol. It seems like they'll work well together in theory given that their CC works well together as well. Not sure how hunters will be affected by melee ostensibly being kings right now. Hunters don't cast though and have plenty of kiting ability, so I'm not sure how they are disadvantage here (could just be naivety on my part, lol).

DK and ret could be a complete laugh together in 3s. Potential for some serious face-roll cleave action there with a decent healer. In 2s they might be a little easy to control though. Only so many hands of freedom can be handed out per second. That red ring basically cries out for dispels and spell steals. CC's don't work as well together either, unless the DK specs away from asphyxiate. Could be some boring games.

I definitely don't like playing warrior, mage or monk.

Doesn't seem like rets do particularly well with healers. At least historically anyway. Maybe it's different in WoD.

Thoughts? Any other comp possibilities I'm overlooking?

As far as I can tell, it should be standard stuff, so:

dk/ret/rdruid
    ret/hunter/rdruid
    ret/warrior/rdruid
    ret/rogue/rdruid
    ret/monk/rdruid

With ret new set bonuses and freedom glyph lowering cc duration + sac dispel, I can see ret cleave teams being near impossible to peel. Add rdruids because right now they are god tier in beta (never cast anything, insane survival, insane healing, insane mobility), and with the amount of cc and burst healing they have, I can easily see these comps zerging targets 3vs1 a lot of the time. Hell, even just training non-rdruid healers seems like a very valid tactic.

10+ Year Old Account
    TSG will undoubtedly make its return.

Quote Originally Posted by Blithe View Post
    TSG will undoubtedly make its return.
    How is tsg a retri comp, pray tell?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigana View Post
    How is tsg a retri comp, pray tell?
    Seen it a few times recently and in the past, as well as it being one of my friend's favourite compositions (he's the Warrior). It consisted of Arms/Retribution/Healer and existed back in TBC, but apparently he calls it "the original TSG", or something along those lines. /shrug

TSG is holy paladin/DK/warrior

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maku View Post
    TSG is holy paladin/DK/warrior
    I know, it was named after that composition during Wrath of the Lich King. Regardless, call it whatever you want, I was just letting you know that Arms/Retribution/Healer is still a mongoloid cleave, just like TSG, that was played regularly in Burning Crusade and that it will most likely be viable in Warlords.

Ret will start good, ( like every expansion so far )

then get nerfed to the ground very quickly ( like every expansion so far )

enjoy it while it lasts, Ill be playing warrior this time round.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathius View Post
    Ret will start good, ( like every expansion so far )

then get nerfed to the ground very quickly ( like every expansion so far )

enjoy it while it lasts, Ill be playing warrior this time round.
    Ret only got good in Cata later during s10/s11. In TBC ret wasn't really good in any season.

Also, I don't remember ret being good at start of MoP. It was only good in s13, I think.

Deleted
    We are going to try Ret/Shadow/Resto Druid in 3s.

The comp has good damage, CC-abilities from all DR-categories, offensive dispel/purge, and mastery/versatility/multristrike/stamina/mainstat-buffs.
    Should be decent if they dont fuck up and nerf any of the specs to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by MrApple View Post
    We are going to try Ret/Shadow/Resto Druid in 3s.

The comp has good damage, CC-abilities from all DR-categories, offensive dispel/purge, and mastery/versatility/multristrike/stamina/mainstat-buffs.
    Should be decent if they dont fuck up and nerf any of the specs to the ground.
    That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I can play druid and I have a buddy who will be playing shadow as well. thanks for the suggestion. I'm surprised you didn't suggest anything with warrior in it

Other suggestions still welcome...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryah View Post
    That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I can play druid and I have a buddy who will be playing shadow as well. thanks for the suggestion. I'm surprised you didn't suggest anything with warrior in it

Other suggestions still welcome...
    Well... i personally prefer challenging and/or non-popular comps that you dont see every other team you face in arenas.
    KFC, Godcomp, LSD etc.

It makes it funnier when you succeed against faceroll-comps and it feels better somehow when you gain rating as a non-fotm comp

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Ret comps usually go well with your face on the kayboard. Keyboard face.
    *flies away*

Quote Originally Posted by MrApple View Post
    Well... i personally prefer challenging and/or non-popular comps that you dont see every other team you face in arenas.
    KFC, Godcomp, LSD etc.
    WoW PvP discussion and fotm on the internet is basically just an echo chamber anyway with little regard being given to sense except in certain places. I'm especially throwing massive heaps of salt on a lot of the feedback I'm reading with regard to class balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Anium View Post
    Ret comps usually go well with your face on the kayboard. Keyboard face.
    *flies away*
    Lol. I will lubricate my face accordingly!