Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best mob farming class+spec in WoD?

I have recently found that while farming the AH probably makes more gold on a per-hour basis, I like making gold just by farming mobs much more, even with constant nerfs, and even with competition. Since we are heading into WoD and a lot of specs get changed quite a bit, I thought I'd ask other farmers as to how their farming spec is doing in WoD. (Again, this isn't about gathering, this is about farming mobs for various drops.)

Apart from good gear, which obviously helps everyone, a good farming spec needs: (a) movement speed, (b) spammable AOE, preferably non-targeted, and preferably without hard caps on the limit of targets, (c) ranged pull. Plus, of course, it has to stay alive without drinking / too much healing, but this also is largely a function of gear.

With respect to the above, fellow farmers, how is your favorite farming spec doing in WoD (I know many farm on ww monks / destro warlocks, but there are several changes that seem very negative, hence the question)? And what would you choose as your go-to farming spec in WoD?

Thanks a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Also: to the best of my knowledge, there's no Potion of Luck equivalent this time around. But if, by any chance, there's something else like that, not necessarily a potion - a trinket like Fleece or whatever, and I just missed it, do tell.

And this: I am not sure tailors get more WoD cloth due to just being tailors. My tests seem inconclusive. If anyone else has numbers on that, please share.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by rda; 2014-09-29 at 11:59 AM.

Lock or hunter, Easy aoe.

Quote Originally Posted by rulee View Post
    Lock or hunter, Easy aoe.
    Even after locks losing a lot of mobility?

SV Hunter!

10+ Year Old Account
    With T17 2piece bonus, definitly Demo lock. Awesome mobility, easy pulls, mass aoe, 30% dmg reduction with pet. You can farm the lv 101 elites in nagrand (or any other "timeless isle" like location) with almost no downtime for good profit while waiting for garrison work orders or AH auctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Wot are locks losing exactly?
    KJC is now 8 sec out of each 60 instead of being always on, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    OT: Depends if you farm previous Xpac Mobs which you can farm at a vastly increased rate, and assist with Potions or WoD Mobs.

This was the Answer for the Question you made, but it may not be what you are looking for:
    The Developers announced that they want to change gameplay away from camping the AH or farm quickly-respawning Mobs , and they hinted once that maybe they reduce old Raids Items' gold worth.

So doing WoD Endgame content may be more rewarding in terms of golds.

When you told us your desired place then I can recommend you a class because each Class has different strengths and weaknesses.
    I mean farming lots of mobs with some distance between them, like in an instance or in one of Pandarian / soon Draenor locs. Mostly because it is fairly obvious how farming small amounts of mobs works.

Think of a Vale at level 90, and its early analog in WoD at level 100, for example.

Deleted
    great topic, thank you for it. i want to know this also. also some good farming spots are appreciated if you're in WOD beta and know some. well any details about all this and please answer the questions the TS asked, ty

Deleted
    balance druid, pop starfall and win

For mass farm on old content Monk and Mage (ice lance pull then aoe) are the best. For the same level mob farming, hunter and warlock will be the best.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    For mass farm on old content Monk and Mage (ice lance pull then aoe) are the best. For the same level mob farming, hunter and warlock will be the best.
    Any details as to why? (Eg, why not monk for new content, why not hunter for old content?)

SV hunter with misdirect glyph, MD macro that lets you keep focusing the targets and a tenacity pet = what I'll be going with for leveling in WoD thanks to how strong they are for chainpulling mobs.

The focus ain't a problem, just do cobra shot every 2n'd or so multi-shot and it's all good. With Thrill of the Hunt it's even better.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Any details as to why? (Eg, why not monk for new content, why not hunter for old content?)
    well, while everything is subjective, I will try to explain my reasoning. For low level, I need a range pull that a) does not kill the mob instantly b)is not limited by a resource (mana, energy).

-Monk has cracking jade lighting for pull ( I pull and cancel immediately the channeling) and the he has his spinning crane kick that he can spam 24/7 that also does a lot of damage. Plus he has very good mobility

-Mage has ice lance and Arcane explosion. Plus he has teleports to go instantly to any location in old content to farm what you like.

-Hunter have not instant pull that can be spammed to 6-7+ mobs to gather them and not kill them until they reach you and then it does not have spammable aoe. Also sometimes your pet might kill an enemy before you hit him and you don't get loot (on very low level mobs)...

For current content, the pet classes are very strong. I can solo everything in the timeless sile with my hunter/warlock, even in blue gear. I don't know if this is gonna be the same in WoD or if they nerfed "pet tanking/pet healing".

Anyway, as I said everything is subjective and other people may have other preferrences This is what fits best for me.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Anyway, as I said everything is subjective and other people may have other preferrences This is what fits best for me.
    Sure.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. It's exactly replies like this that I am looking for. It's usually the small things, like the infinitely spammable spinning crane kick that you mention or that one new glyph to shaman's ghost wolf which increases movement speed bonus from 30% to 60%, which make all the difference in practice, and you have to actually be farming for some time on classes to note them.

(I completely agree on the utmost usefulness of a spammable ranged pull which does little to no damage. Paladins used to have a ranged spell that did exactly 1 damage, I think, although the range wasn't too great. I'd kill to have that on the class of my choice.)

brewmaster monk has treated me well all of Mists and hopefully in WoD as well. I use the battle horn toy (it'll be in the toy box come WoD) for a large AoE pull and then throw some Keg Smash, a Tiger Palm or two, and spam Spinning Crane Kick. With mobs of same of higher level she becomes even better because she takes less damage and can self heal like crazy.

Keep in mind that you won't be able to farm in one place as you can now in MoP. In WoD they are adding a feature that disables loot and experience from mobs in a location that has been farmed for a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Keep in mind that you won't be able to farm in one place as you can now in MoP. In WoD they are adding a feature that disables loot and experience from mobs in a location that has been farmed for a period of time.
    Woah. Do you have a blue with the details? That's huge... (Is it really not only experience, but loot as well?)

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Woah. Do you have a blue with the details? That's huge... (Is it really not only experience, but loot as well?)
    I've heard nothing of it and its seems retarded they'd do this again after doing in cata and removing it due to backlash...
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

That would just be another nail in the coffin for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    That would just be another nail in the coffin for this game.
    It would absolutely be, if that's the case, yes.

Deleted
    Bluepost or it did not happen.

Sorry, but that's the first time I heard about such a change, so I am calling BS.