Profession advice, among other things

First up, apologies if this post has been answered 1000 times or is annoying due to lack of research. I've been out of the game (and these forums) for about 18 months so not really sure on the etiquette.

Basically I'm planning on returning to WoW and playing my Prot Pally for WoD. At the moment she has full herb/mining but I think having a primary profession is going to be a lot more useful when the expack hits (correct me if I'm wrong).

So I thought I'd ask you guys, who are infinitely more knowledgeable on the state of the game and assumedly the expansion as well, what your thoughts were:

Which do i drop, mining or herb?
    What do i pick up? Alch? BS? I should mention I have a hunter with full inscription, so if it complements that then mores the better.

Super special bonus question: If you had roughly a month and a half to kill before the expansion, what would be the best way to spend it in terms of preparation? I mean, I could run LFR in 2 year old gear until I'm blue in the face but that doesn't really strike me as appealing - any other suggestions for ways to waste my time? Maybe even something that would benefit my character in the long run?

Any and all responses appreciated, even if it's to point out how much of an idiot I'm being (I usually am in one way or another).

Nice and I was wondering the same thing today.

Well I am willing to play Holadin and I was thinking of herb and alchemy, haven't seen the new stuff yet. But read around that JC is going to be less good since the new items have less sockets on them etc.

Anyone has an answer on which path we should choose? I wouldn't mind picking up BS and Alch but hell that would be expensive to sustain I guess.

Well, blizzard cut the combat perks from all professions iirc, even stuff like nitro boosts for engineers have a (slightly weaker) non engineer version for everyone else. I guess it'd be go with what you want to use to make gold or use for perks (engineering really, extra portals and stuff is always fun imo)

Quote Originally Posted by thatfireguy View Post
    Well, blizzard cut the combat perks from all professions iirc, even stuff like nitro boosts for engineers have a (slightly weaker) non engineer version for everyone else. I guess it'd be go with what you want to use to make gold or use for perks (engineering really, extra portals and stuff is always fun imo)
    did they really removed the extra stats etc you were getting of proffessions? Hmm that sounds great news less stupid theorycrafting about what if I had this instead of this and that and bits and bobs.
    But ye thanks for that info I didnt know about that.

Well atm I am pretty much gold capped I'd say so I dont really have a gold problem for now unless they decide of putting items out there that go for kk gold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    Which do i drop, mining or herb?
    What do i pick up? Alch? BS? I should mention I have a hunter with full inscription, so if it complements that then mores the better.
    I would imagine you want mining and BS; or herb and alch - not to min max, but to make your life easier, as you gather the main resources you need to craft. Does your hunter having herbing? If so, go mining as the hunter can herb for you. If not, go herb as that will feed both alch and inscription.

On alch vs BS, abstracting from gathering synergies, if you are going to be a hard core raider, alch might be good as you'll need flasks for every raid.

If you are more casual, BS might be good as you can craft some gear that's an alternative to raid drops. As a paladin ie plate user, there's some sense in going BS too.

My main is mining/BS because I liked the idea of crafting gear I can wear. I have every profession on my alts, but the default professions for my newer alts has been herbing/alch. Herbing gives XP that speeds up leveling. Alch I find super easy to level (unlike BS or LW) and gives you a nice starter trinket.

If you had roughly a month and a half to kill before the expansion, what would be the best way to spend it in terms of preparation?
    Getting the professions you want is sensible preparation. I'd focus on things like that which will last (unlike LFR gear) and stuff like transmog, mounts (esp. finding a ground mount you are happy with). Personally, I've been leveling up new alts - just finishing my last, a warlock.

I anticipate it may be a long time before I play them in WoD (I'll focus on my main) but it certainly makes sense to go through the L1-90 grind now when the endgame is kind of redundant, than take time out during "progression".
    Last edited by mmoced226c0d6b; 2014-09-25 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    I would imagine you want mining and BS; or herb and alch - not to min max, but to make your life easier, as you gather the main resources you need to craft. Does your hunter having herbing? If so, go mining as the hunter can herb for you. If not, go herb as that will feed both alch and inscription.

On alch vs BS, abstracting from gathering synergies, if you are going to be a hard core raider, alch might be good as you'll need flasks for every raid.

If you are more casual, BS might be good as you can craft some gear that's an alternative to raid drops. As a paladin ie plate user, there's some sense in going BS too.
    Thanks mate, really appreciate your feedback. Some great stuff here.

One last question: I've basically decided since my hunter is herb/scribe I may as well go BS/mining so I'm not throwing away my 600 mining and doubling up on herb across mains - but lets say I'm luckier/more proficient at raiding than I expect, what benefits does BS have outside of direct upgrades?

What do I sell to people? I know that the prof perks are out but my hunter still made a fair bit of cash just off of darkmoon cards and a few glyphs on the side. I'd be hoping to do something similar on my Pally, assuming just selling ore/bars isn't the most lucrative path to take.

I'm wondering if I should Drop my Enchanting or Tailoring in favor of BS. I basically have all professions covered on other tunes, but plan to make my paladin my main in WoD. The only reasons I "doubled" up on Enchanting and tailoring was for faster bags through tailoring and Enchanting seemed a good way to break down the stuff I made to level, plus enchants will always be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    I'm wondering if I should Drop my Enchanting or Tailoring in favor of BS. The only reasons I "doubled" up on Enchanting... seemed a good way to break down the stuff I made to level.
    A very good question, especially considering (correct me if I'm wrong) we can now disenchant through garrison?

7+ Year Old Account
    A very good question, especially considering (correct me if I'm wrong) we can now disenchant through garrison?
    You can disenchant with the Enchanting Garrison, I believe at level 2.

@OP: Choose the professions with what YOU feel gives the most personal benefit (ie alchemy if you don't want to buy flasks/pots, Crafting profs if you want your 3 pieces of crafting gear, Scribe to sell DMF trinks, etc).

I'm probably going to go with Skinning/LW to make myself two pieces of leather, then level my scribe alt and get a DMF trinket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

Quote Originally Posted by Volibear View Post
    You can disenchant with the Enchanting Garrison, I believe at level 2.

@OP: Choose the professions with what YOU feel gives the most personal benefit (ie alchemy if you don't want to buy flasks/pots, Crafting profs if you want your 3 pieces of crafting gear, Scribe to sell DMF trinks, etc).

I appreciate the garrison info, and I hope you won't think this is rude, but that's kind of a non-response.

If this was about me using the heart of the cards to find a profession, I wouldn't make a post about it on mmo champ. Really I'm trying to get some insight on firstly, what is likely to be the most beneficial across the board (numbers wise) for character progression and secondly what is likely to be a lucrative profession in addition to the above.

Everyone picks every profession for what they feel gives them the most personal benefit - why would you ever choose one for any other reason?

Thanks for the feedback though.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm going into WoD with Engineering and Enchanting on my Ret who will be my main. After I hit 100 and farm all my heroic dungeon set I'm going to drop enchanting, and have a blacksmithing kit on hand. One of my two primary alts will be sent all the enchant mats I've de'd along the way to level their enchanting, because frankly I miss having BS on my main toon. This way I don't waste easily gained enchant mats that I can use to easily boost my enchanters level to max without having to level him to 100.

I've even been considering dropping engineering for mining as I level to 100, and having an engineering kit ready to relevel it. This way would allow me to have the materials farmed to level BS/Eng to max in WoD.

Deleted
    One last question: I've basically decided since my hunter is herb/scribe I may as well go BS/mining so I'm not throwing away my 600 mining and doubling up on herb across mains - but lets say I'm luckier/more proficient at raiding than I expect, what benefits does BS have outside of direct upgrades?
    I think upgrades are it. They are trying to strip away combat benefits from professions, so that it will ultimately become more a matter of personal preference which you go for, rather than having everyone of a class pick the power-maxing best prof for that class.

Historically, they tend to give BS a couple of raid level items to craft each tier, often tied to raiding (e.g. the recipe or the special ingredient drop in the raids). They are a nice perk, particularly because they are a failsafe. And bear in mind that other failsafes are largely going away now that valor gear is no more. But they are by no means essential.

What do I sell to people? I know that the prof perks are out but my hunter still made a fair bit of cash just off of darkmoon cards and a few glyphs on the side. I'd be hoping to do something similar on my Pally, assuming just selling ore/bars isn't the most lucrative path to take.
    I am not sure, but I heard something about BOEs epics being limited to those with the profession (you can't get them from garrisons if you don't have the prof.) Bear in mind that in WoD, there will be craftable epic gear for 7 slots from BS although a character can only equip 3. So potentially, there could be a decent market for that stuff. It will require daily CDs and a ton of mats, so I don't think you'll get rich from it though. But to me, as a causal player, crafting is a little fun side of the game, regardless of cashfarming or powergaming.

So looking at the Ret t17 gear dump thread... it seems BS is not needed even for a raider. seems like one can just get some/most of their items from apexis crystals or pvp