10+ Year Old Account

Force (HD) 1080p on Youtube videos for viewers? Possible? dafuq?

So I have recently uploaded a Youtube video on behalf of someone, and before I know it, they have jumped at me, telling me that the video is not playing in HD (720p/1080p) by default when they hit play on Facebook.

Now as far as I am aware, Youtube does not offer such feature to force video playback on viewers to HD (720p+) due to obvious reasons such as people with poor internet connection speeds and old hardware not being able to view it.

However this individual keeps insisting that there is a possibility to set it to 720p and or 1080p and forcing it on the viewers. Is this so or em I going crazy trying to convince myself they are wrong? :/

Thanks in Advance
    -K

I've only ever updated one video to Youtube and that was ages ago(pre-Cata) and don't remember seeing any setting like that, though I honestly didn't look. That said have them upload it and look for a setting?
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

10+ Year Old Account
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    It's up to your friend to add ?hd=1 when he is embedding the youtube video to force people to automatically use HD.

For example, clicking this link should force it to start playing in HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lg_k1SwrQ0&hd=1
    Last edited by Axphism; 2014-09-29 at 06:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    It's up to your friend to add ?hd=1 when he is embedding the youtube video to force people to automatically use HD.

For example, clicking this link should force it to start playing in HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lg_k1SwrQ0&hd=1
    Did this url change and still plays in 360p or 480p. I've tried with the other url modifications as posted on stackoverflow and neither work.

100Mb up/down so it's not that :/
    -K

The extensions were disabled after they released adaptive resolutions. If you fullscreen a video, it will eventually select the best video resolution automatically.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Try opening a new tab with that url instead of editing an existing one. I promise it works. I just tested it several times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    The extensions were disabled after they released adaptive resolutions. If you fullscreen a video, it will eventually select the best video resolution automatically.
    Boom, thank you! I knew something has changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    Try opening a new tab with that url instead of editing an existing one. I promise it works. I just tested it several times.
    Il try it on Youtube embed on FB.

Edit:
    Nope, on new tab, on same tab and embed, does not force HD :/ No worries, the point was reassurance on my part.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2014-09-29 at 06:56 PM.
    -K

The only way I get YouTube to actually use HD, regardless of any settings, is to use a browser addon. I'm using YouTube High Definition for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    The only way I get YouTube to actually use HD, regardless of any settings, is to use a browser addon. I'm using YouTube High Definition for that.
    Same here or well a similar Chrome extension just with tons of other options:

Magic Actions for YouTube™

It can also help with buffering, let you use different viewing modes, snapshots, Works with HTML5 etc.