Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Rift 3.0 - Nightmare Tide is now Open Beta !

Good news, the new Rift Expansion coming on October the 8th, Nightmare Tide, is now in Open Beta pn the Public Test Shard (PTS).

Get on there, explore and enjoy

I'll just wait until next month to play. However I will check out whatever new info flows out of it and am curious as to what the general reaction from folks will be.

So I got onto the beta and played for two levels. I have very mixed feelings about it. The plane of water itself is amazing. I love the fact that it is very three dimensional and you're going up and down through the zones just as much as you are across. The Tarken Glacier is massive and gorgeous and the first zone that looks a lot like Vashj'ir is really nice. The aesthetics are incredible. Even the massive sea shell moon type thing floating in the sky is awesome. I love the layers to the world and how you can be swimming to the bottom of a lake and breach through the surface into some crazy underwater/under continent area that should be full of water but isn't. It really does feel like the plane of water, even the physics are a little different, as if you are in another dimension. Also, the main story quests are really interesting and are making me wonder what is coming down the pipe.

That being said...it is still very broken, and at one week until launch. There are still giant spots where you can just fall through the floor. Bugs everywhere, monsters and creatures that need to have their actual skins applied. There are parts of the zones that are just lacking in proper texture. Most mobs in the Tarken Glacier that are hostile are just standing like a statue and not moving or attacking when you get too close. The Warrior masteries are broken and we're missing a few of them, and some are for resources we don't even use (like energy), the Reaver soul update is still not finished and subsequently still very broken. Not to mention there are countless little areas across the whole plane that will cause you to get caught in a never ending falling loop, areas right in the middle of the quest areas even.

Basically what I'm saying is that this expansion is very much still in beta and Trion should push back the launch date. Though I know they don't want to because of all of the massive titles launching in November. Between WoD, DA:I, and The Crew alone would make me weary of launching in November.

Quote Originally Posted by nekai View Post
    So I got onto the beta and played for two levels. I have very mixed feelings about it. The plane of water itself is amazing. I love the fact that it is very three dimensional and you're going up and down through the zones just as much as you are across. The Tarken Glacier is massive and gorgeous and the first zone that looks a lot like Vashj'ir is really nice. The aesthetics are incredible. Even the massive sea shell moon type thing floating in the sky is awesome. I love the layers to the world and how you can be swimming to the bottom of a lake and breach through the surface into some crazy underwater/under continent area that should be full of water but isn't. It really does feel like the plane of water, even the physics are a little different, as if you are in another dimension. Also, the main story quests are really interesting and are making me wonder what is coming down the pipe.

That being said...it is still very broken, and at one week until launch. There are still giant spots where you can just fall through the floor. Bugs everywhere, monsters and creatures that need to have their actual skins applied. There are parts of the zones that are just lacking in proper texture. Most mobs in the Tarken Glacier that are hostile are just standing like a statue and not moving or attacking when you get too close. The Warrior masteries are broken and we're missing a few of them, and some are for resources we don't even use (like energy), the Reaver soul update is still not finished and subsequently still very broken. Not to mention there are countless little areas across the whole plane that will cause you to get caught in a never ending falling loop, areas right in the middle of the quest areas even.

Basically what I'm saying is that this expansion is very much still in beta and Trion should push back the launch date. Though I know they don't want to because of all of the massive titles launching in November. Between WoD, DA:I, and The Crew alone would make me weary of launching in November.
    Its hard to say due to speed at which they progress. Keep in mind I've been in alpha for three weeks and Draumheim has gone from unplayable to pretty much ok (with still some problem areas on the outskirts of the city). So they move really really fast. GR is mostly done, TG is about 80% complete graphically speaking.

That being said I think they could push the date back 2 weeks and still be in before the november rush. A few people would whine, but very few. I'm less concerned about the graphics than about things like itemization which is nowhere near done, masteries, and what not. The problem with the Rift team is that its very small and they can't exactly move dungeon guys over into doing itemization, it doesn't work like that. I'll feel more confident about making a statement about wether its ready for launch when we see tomorrows PTS patch. There is always a huge patch on wednesdays (usually 2 gigs or so). But just to give you an idea. Margle Palace the central city in POW (the Tempest Bay if you will). Didn't even exist three weeks ago. All of what you see there now? None of it was there. It was an empty courtyard with a totally different layout. So these guys work very very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    Its hard to say due to speed at which they progress. Keep in mind I've been in alpha for three weeks and Draumheim has gone from unplayable to pretty much ok (with still some problem areas on the outskirts of the city). So they move really really fast. GR is mostly done, TG is about 80% complete graphically speaking.

That being said I think they could push the date back 2 weeks and still be in before the november rush. A few people would whine, but very few. I'm less concerned about the graphics than about things like itemization which is nowhere near done, masteries, and what not. The problem with the Rift team is that its very small and they can't exactly move dungeon guys over into doing itemization, it doesn't work like that. I'll feel more confident about making a statement about wether its ready for launch when we see tomorrows PTS patch. There is always a huge patch on wednesdays (usually 2 gigs or so). But just to give you an idea. Margle Palace the central city in POW (the Tempest Bay if you will). Didn't even exist three weeks ago. All of what you see there now? None of it was there. It was an empty courtyard with a totally different layout. So these guys work very very fast.
    Yeah, they do work really fast, but I agree with you about pushing it back. With the exception of a few complainers, the majority of the Rift community would be happy to wait an extra few weeks to have it made functional and polished a bit. Though I guess we'll see what all happens next PTS patch.

Their dev team is so small. SL zones especially dendrome was a mess. There are little details that turned me off

Some textures used doesn't go with the overall environment, like they type grass on cgtextures and randomly selected a grass texture. Even the shaders used on floors and objects felt like it was selected at random, some "stone-ish" surfaces that reflects light lol. Little things.. u know

Wait a second. I have to actually level to 65 on the PTS? Is that right? Am I missing the new Fluffy location?

What is this madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Wait a second. I have to actually level to 65 on the PTS? Is that right? Am I missing the new Fluffy location?

What is this madness.
    Yeah, I think they had a limited window where fluffy was up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait a second. I have to actually level to 65 on the PTS? Is that right?
    Everyone had to level to 65 on the PTS, even us Alpha/Closed Beta testers. However, once you got to level 65 on one char you could then buy a BoA potion to pass onto alts, wouldn't be much of a testing session if everyone was level 65 and just steam rolled through Goboro Reef

I'm hoping the main build is at least one or two builds ahead of what we see on PTS, as Khelendros has pointed out, one day there's nothing in some spots, a big update is pushed and suddenly there's a whole area filled with buildings, NPCs, quests etc, Draumheim still has a bit of polish left to do, however i have completed every quest, every Carnage in all zones so at least questing works
    Last edited by Slipmat; 2014-10-01 at 06:04 AM.

Oh fuck that.

Not even going to bother.

Just played. Almost like they looked at SL and thought they did not mess up anywhere. Zones will be dead within 2 months after release. Also who the fuck though increasing the HIT cap to 1,000 was a good idea? Like seriously who looked at this current terrible design where barely any of your population see's the end game and thought it was a good idea.

Those Draumham lag spikes are still there btw that Seatin mentioned. Just overall very strange decisions made for an expansion.

People not seeing the content is not really caused by Hit Rating. The system isn't faulty. It works exactly as intended; a gating mechanism for a bimodal, tiered endgame.

Either a tiered endgame in a bimodal progression system or player expectation is faulty.

So I keep forgetting to ask...

Has performance improved at all? I'm assuming they still haven't put in multi-core support (FUCKING UGH, TRION, GET ON YOUR SHIT WITH THAT. IT IS THE YEAR 2014 AND THIS SHIT ISN'T ACCEPTABLE), but have they managed to make any other improvements?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Has performance improved at all? I'm assuming they still haven't put in multi-core support (FUCKING UGH, TRION, GET ON YOUR SHIT WITH THAT. IT IS THE YEAR 2014 AND THIS SHIT ISN'T ACCEPTABLE), but have they managed to make any other improvements?
    Nope, nothing has changed, on the PTS some zones are so bad you get around 10 fps even with a $3000 PC.

They fixed shadows! hahaha....oh man...why?! Why Trino?! WHY!?!?!? Multi-core support would improve the game so much!

Welp, if they had put in multi-core support (or at least some massive improvements) I was going to seriously consider the $150 pack (seriously, landshark), but if that's not the case than fuck that noise.

So beyond disappointed that 3 and a half years after launch, in the year 2014, that a PC exclusive game (and a MMO at that) doesn't have multi-core support.

Literally nothing has changed. Trion just added new zones and five generic passive skills per class.

Literally nothing has changed. Trion just added new zones and five generic passive skills per class.
    Don't get me started on the disappointment that is masteries.....

Yea, masteries are super duper lame. They aren't interesting at all. I saw stuff like "refreshes open the stream" and couldn't figure out why that wasn't just a passive in paragon; or why a mastery would be so specific yet universally available.

There is a lot of bad game design going on in this expansion.

-cough- f2p -cough-