Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    If you try 100 different guides on 12 different characters, you're not likely to be playing any one character fullest and really not likely to actually be doing any of these strategies right, especially if you believe going in that it's going to fail.

Gold making guides are the same as real life money guides. For some they work, for others, you might actually lose money. Look at enough sites like "You can make $100k a year with this simple strategy!" and you realize how much of a crock it is. The few that these things do work for are a lucky few or incredibly manipulative. Most likely, they're incredibly good liars. Many of these people get paid for you to try their method which then fails. How many actually go on to sue those people for false advertising?

Only sure fire way I've found to make gold? Dailies and soloing old content. Three runs of Old Strat for the mount netted me about 100g (although no mount which seems to hate me). Doing only the pet trainer dailies netted me 400g and I didn't even do them all. Doing a full clear of old raids like BWL, Kara, etc would likely net 1000g or better, especially if you net a pet to sell. Farming is variable and you might be able to sell what you get, you might not. Prices can change hourly. Dailies never change and soloing old content is pretty steady, too. This is no different than real life. There is no secret way to make thousands of dollars quick unless you're really good with the stock market, and in that case, you had a lot of money to start with. Other way is if you're a thief. The days of people going from $5 in their pocket to multi-millionaires is long past. You're more likely to go from $5 to -$100k or better than you are to go from $5 to $5,000. There's always a catch to these stories about people going from nothing to something.

People are gullible and others prey on it. Nothing new, really.

Quote Originally Posted by guardian_titan View Post
    Gold making guides are the same as real life money guides. For some they work, for others, you might actually lose money. Look at enough sites like "You can make $100k a year with this simple strategy!" and you realize how much of a crock it is. The few that these things do work for are a lucky few or incredibly manipulative. Most likely, they're incredibly good liars. Many of these people get paid for you to try their method which then fails. How many actually go on to sue those people for false advertising?

Only sure fire way I've found to make gold? Dailies and soloing old content. Three runs of Old Strat for the mount netted me about 100g (although no mount which seems to hate me). Doing only the pet trainer dailies netted me 400g and I didn't even do them all. Doing a full clear of old raids like BWL, Kara, etc would likely net 1000g or better, especially if you net a pet to sell. Farming is variable and you might be able to sell what you get, you might not. Prices can change hourly. Dailies never change and soloing old content is pretty steady, too. This is no different than real life. There is no secret way to make thousands of dollars quick unless you're really good with the stock market, and in that case, you had a lot of money to start with. Other way is if you're a thief. The days of people going from $5 in their pocket to multi-millionaires is long past. You're more likely to go from $5 to -$100k or better than you are to go from $5 to $5,000. There's always a catch to these stories about people going from nothing to something.

People are gullible and others prey on it. Nothing new, really.
    Except (given I both play wow and have given out gold advice many many times, and have worked in marketing for the exact same concept you're talking about) most people play wow as a hobby, and other than a very few goblins really have no issue with others making gold. A lot of people enjoying being able to give advice that benefits other players legitimately.

The issue in teh real world is making money isn't a "hobby" for most, and the vast majority of cash making advice comes from people you pay in some form to listen to. The intent isn't for you to be successful, it's for you to see just a little but of results so you keep coming back to for more lessons.

There are lots of easy ways to make money, but they aren't advertised and are often unethical (to the extent that highlighting them would probably cause them to become unlawful somewhere down the line). There are also lots of ways to lose money, and the obvious knowledge that most people want to make more money - so despite there being so many legitimate ways, it's drowned in a sea of misinformation that I don't consider accurate when talking about making gold in WoW.
    Last edited by Raiju; 2014-09-30 at 11:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Of course they overstate how much you can make. It's advertising.

Also remember a lot of this stuff is very time sensitive. It either gets nerfed or the moment passes (embersilk farming etc)

You need to always look at this stuff with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Normally if there is a really good guide and lots of people start following it, the farming spot gets overcamped and quickly becomes a bad place to farm OR blizzard nerf it. I used to farm in deepholm during cata using a potion of treasure finding. I'd get mountains of motes, cloth and green items etc. These days those mobs don't drop items at all because Blizzard decided it was too effective.

Cool story bro.

Seriously though, 99,88% of the people who say that they make "X amount per day" "200k per minute lel np" "im gold capped on thousand alts" etc are fucking bullshitting. Never can they post a proof of this. Most people probably doesnt have over 100k, let alone make 100k per week or any of that bs.

Mad a massive killing off of Warbringers and constantly killing them with the availability to switch to different servers via cross realm. If they come out with another mob type like Warbringers, I expect that to be a damn good gold making method. Of course need to be able to kill them when they first get released, and most professions to maximize the profit.

I've had success with guides, but they need to be taken with a grain of salt. Circumstances are a huge factor in how successful you'll be using the guide. You have to compare the guide to what you'll be dealing with on your server. Consider some of the following before doing what the guide says.

1. How does my server compare to the server in the guide?
    2. When was the guide made?
    3. Was the guide maker doing things to be more efficient with their time than I am?

On the first point, prices don't always match up across servers. In my case, one server I'm on has gems going for only 10-20g now, while another they are still selling for around 60g. The server with the low prices is a high pop server and there are hundreds of people out there trying to sell gems. I get undercut almost instantly. In order to move much inventory I pretty much have to camp the AH all day and I end up spending more gold on cancelled/expired gems than I make on sales. Obviously any gold guide relating to selling gems doesn't apply to that server. On the flip side, a gold guide around moving rare transmog gear or mounts works better on that server than it does on the smaller server with the higher gem prices. There's enough people on the other server that rare stuff sells within a few listings instead of taking months and months to sell.

On the second point, almost everything in WoW is most expensive when it first becomes available and/or when people need it the most. Gems were selling for a ton more when 5.0 came out and even when 5.4 first launched they were selling for 3-4x as much on the high pop server because everyone and their mother was getting new gear with new gem slots, whereas now the demand just isn't there. Same goes for farming. If there's less demand for gems (and crafted BS gear) then of course any ghost iron ore farming guide is going to yield less gold per hour than it did back when that stuff was in high demand.

Finally on the 3rd point, sometimes the small stuff can add up to a lot more gold per hr played. For instance, the guide maker might have been using Tradeskillmaster to list and cancel auctions whereas you might be using some other AH addon. Big deal right? Well yes, actually. If you've set up TSM properly it makes bulk auctioning and cancelling a piece of cake. It will automatically do the math for you once you've input the parameters you want. Instead of spending 15-30m in front of the AH listing and cancelling and shopping, you might be able to do the same amount of work in 5 minutes. If you're managing 12 characters this gets to be a lot more gold/hr of work than without TSM.

But your closing statement is absolutely true. Find what works for you. This is about more than just gold/hr though. Find something you aren't going to get so bored with that you quit doing it after a day or two of trying. Some people actually enjoy farming mats. Some people enjoy doing some math and playing the AH. Some people enjoy spamming trade chat and making gold directly through players. Some enjoy selling carries. Find what you enjoy and find a way to make gold off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by c313 View Post
    Mad a massive killing off of Warbringers and constantly killing them with the availability to switch to different servers via cross realm. If they come out with another mob type like Warbringers, I expect that to be a damn good gold making method. Of course need to be able to kill them when they first get released, and most professions to maximize the profit.

How are killing Warbringers a good gold making method? What do they drop?

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    How are killing Warbringers a good gold making method? What do they drop?
    Lots of profession mats. Obv shit so late in the expac but you can easily get 17 golden lotus and assorted herbs / 5 stacks of cloth / 7-8 gems etc from a big bag when they drop them. Add 50 gold in tokens and 16 gold drop. It adds up quickly.

These gold guides are mainly written/outsourced by internet marketers who don't even play the game. Of course they don't work.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    True gold making methods aren't disclosed to the general public. The best methods are always kept to the one who discovers them.

Gold guide come down to = Do professions or play the AH.

Then the ones that tell you how to play the AH don't work well because EVERYONE knows about the guide and are doin' the same thing you are.
    This exactly. I have my methods and they work well, and as much as my social impulse is to divulge them and be celebrated for being clever, I would never actually do so. I would toss them the bone and maybe a little connective tissue once I'm done eating the meat though. And that is all these guides are: other people's leftovers.

this sites and ideas do work the problem is:
    when did you find it and how old is it? just like in real life and the stock market timing is everything- if you were first to sell the sky golem one got 100k for it now it goes for maybe 15k, the belts from lw,tailoring and bs sold for well over 10k for months now you would be lucky to get 3k for them. timing is everything
    secondly, it takes longer than the 5 minutes a day they claim, yes once one gets a good amount of gold it does take around 5 minutes to play the ah with the right addon, but to build up to that point one must farm the right mats, sell things at the right time and realize a new booming market.

I made a killing on darkmoon cubs when they added in the crazy cat lady title/schievement. I realized people would need a cat for this achievement had my alts doing dmf and bought 20 of them right before the dmf ended before this achievement came out.
    no one wanted to wait a month to get it so after dmf I put up a few of my cubs a day and was getting 10k if not more for them.
    they all sold before next dmf.

staying ahead of the crowd is key.

Grim Batol

Nuff said.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a reason why the phrase "too good to be true" is a cliche.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."