10+ Year Old Account

Msi r9 290x 4gb?

So there is a guy at my work who is selling one of these, he bought it in January, it still has a year and a bit guarantee on it and he is selling it due to an upgrade. He is asking £250 for it, how good is this card and is it worth £250 or is there a better card out there for the same money?

Given that you can get a 970 GTX for around the same price (250-270). A 290X will run you 300-340 depending if they are on a sale or not. 250 is way too much for the card used.

I wouldn't pay more than 200 for it. You can find 290X's on ebay for 210-230...I'm sure if you look a bit more than my 5 min search, you'll find something for 200.

Spend £50-75 more and get a brand new GTX 970.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Spend £50-75 more and get a brand new GTX 970.

I'm on a budget to be honest of around £100 - £150 but I saw that this guy at work was offering that and hoped I might be able to get him down to £200 at least. Im not after something top of the range, just something decent that will last a year or 2 but i honestly have no idea what Im looking for lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikarun View Post
    I'm on a budget to be honest of around £100 - £150 but I saw that this guy at work was offering that and hoped I might be able to get him down to £200 at least. Im not after something top of the range, just something decent that will last a year or 2 but i honestly have no idea what Im looking for lol.

290X's overall were terrible GPU's. They tend to run hotter and louder than comparable Nvidia cards. Even for 200 that card isn't worth it. I would honestly save a little more and buy the obviously better card since at least then it's guaranteed to actually last.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1056?vs=1355

Quote Originally Posted by Ikarun View Post
    £100-150 will NOT get you a good GPU. At that range you can get very old GPUs that were weak in the first place(GTX x50/x60).

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    £100-150 will NOT get you a good GPU. At that range you can get very old GPUs that were weak in the first place(GTX x50/x60).
    It will however get you a GPU that will let you play pretty much whatever you want. Having no issues with my sub £100 and haven't come across a game I wanted to play that gets a shitty framerate with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    It will however get you a GPU that will let you play pretty much whatever you want. Having no issues with my sub £100 and haven't come across a game I wanted to play that gets a shitty framerate with it.
    And that is basically what I am after, just something that does not restrict me. Im not bothered about top of the line stuff, just being able to play the games I want to. What GPU did you get?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Depends mostly on the resolution.