Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Only first chapter was downloadable for free, the rest of the game required purchase.

And yes, everybody I knew who was gaming on PC at the time (me included) had Doom pirated. I don't know anybody who actually bought it.
    And ever since it has been brought up I'm trying to remember what version I played. I definitely didn't buy it but I wasn't really into FPS games so I don't know.
    I do remember playing Wing Commander III like crazy in 95 though

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would people anywhere prefer useless OS for home desktop PCs?
    For the most part, NSA. After the whole Snowden thing, a lot of countries have lost faith in American products. Also a free OS is kinda nice for those not wanting to spend a lot. To be honest a lot of people outside the US pirate Windows like mad and that's not going to change anytime soon. I remember being overseas and stores had Windows for like 100 Euros but a pirated copy was right next to it for 5. They're pretty open about it and they don't care.

But China did say they want Linux to be the OS choice for it's citizens. Though I have no idea if it'll work as China really likes their Windows XP.

WoW is dead in China and Blizzard doesn't give a flying fuck because Chinese dont care about Blizzard either. Totally different gaming culture there.
    Given that China has like a huge chunk of the world population in it, I would imagine that's incentive enough.
    Besides all Blizzard games already run on linux with Wine so what would be the incentive for Blizz to do anything more about it?
    Cause it would be nice to not have to deal with Wine? Seriously Wine breaks like every other release.

Quick googling shows wikipedia's article of Doom mentioning that claim without any actual source, and what wikipedia actually said was "In late 1995, Doom was estimated to be installed on more computers worldwide than Microsoft's new operating system Windows 95" which needs to be put in context. Doom was a DOS game released nearly two years before Win95 with significantly lower system requirements so I'm not surprised they had sold more copies in two years than Microsoft did in two months.

When you do apples and oranges comparison and try to use it as a proof of anything, all it proves is you're living in a la-la-land.
    In trying to capitalize on Doom's success, Microsoft actually offered to port Doom to Windows. Microsoft made a video of Bill Gates walking into Doom to promote DirectX. BTW it was Gabe Newell who pointed it out. You know the ex Microsoft employee.

Only first chapter was downloadable for free, the rest of the game required purchase.

And yes, everybody I knew who was gaming on PC at the time (me included) had Doom pirated. I don't know anybody who actually bought it.
    I bought it. I did it the old school way too and sent a check directly to their offices and they mailed me the disks.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    I bought it. I did it the old school way too and sent a check directly to their offices and they mailed me the disks.
    I bought Doom on PC and my 32X. Don't ask and it was the shareware version. Doom 2 I had on floppys that failed and ID was nice enough to send me a CD version for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    But China did say they want Linux to be the OS choice for it's citizens.
    Chinese government likes linux because they can compile it freely with their own backdoors without having issues pirating Windows or OSX. Same goes for North Korea. They dont give a shit about software freedom, open source or the price of the thing. They want to be able to gain total control on users and you can't do that as easily with closed proprietary systems.

Given that China has like a huge chunk of the world population in it, I would imagine that's incentive enough.
    Asians play different MMOs than NA/EU areas. WoW does not appeal to them much at all, and the subs has been dropping like a rock in east... The number of population in China does not help anything if the game isn't popular enough there.

Cause it would be nice to not have to deal with Wine? Seriously Wine breaks like every other release.
    If you want developers to give a damn you'll use officially supported OS or deal with any problems on your own. Blizzard really has no incentive to officially support any games on the fragmented mess that linux is.

In trying to capitalize on Doom's success, Microsoft actually offered to port Doom to Windows. Microsoft made a video...
    Err... You failed to answer to anything I said or asked... Probably intentional since there was nothing to say that would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    And ever since it has been brought up I'm trying to remember what version I played.
    Most people played 0.99 (the free first chapter) or 1.666 (the version that was sold in gaming stores) or 1.9 (the final release).

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    Only in USA... Direct transfer between banks, even to another country with IBAN numbers is so much more convenient than snail mailing pieces of paper...

10+ Year Old Account
    Err... You failed to answer to anything I said or asked... Probably intentional since there was nothing to say that would make sense.
    Cause I felt I didn't need to since others had chimed in. Both Windows 95 and Doom required DOS and both requires a 386 CPU minimum. The only difference was that Windows 95 was included with a lot of computer systems and Doom wasn't. Also Gabe Newell explains in the video.

My point is that gaming has a profound effect on the sales of PC software and hardware. The reason why we even have graphic cards on consumer PCs is cause of games. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot. It wasn't until Vista that 3D graphics could be used to accelerate videos, desktop UI's like Aero, and compress video's. The whole reason why Bill Gates stood in a green screen to pretend he was playing Doom was to capitalize on the success of a game that was doing better than Windows 95 to promote Directx which is for gaming.

With Valve pushing Steam for Linux, that may certainly increase peoples interest for Linux. Microsoft on the other hand doesn't know if they should promote PC gaming or Xbox One cause they both compete for the same market. DX12 will most certainly not be for Windows 7 and it will create a problem for both developers and gamers, yet Xbox One will get DX12 and it won't benefit that platform what so ever.

I personally still use Windows 7 and not Linux on my gaming rig for this reason. More and more games make it to Linux like Borderlands 2 recently, but it's still not enough for even myself to make the switch. If enough games gets ported then maybe I'll switch.

Only in USA... Direct transfer between banks, even to another country with IBAN numbers is so much more convenient than snail mailing pieces of paper...
    I was like 12 years old at the time. I didn't know such a thing even existed.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Windows 10? What happened to 9?
    this should answer your question:
    7 8 9

Cause I felt I didn't need to since others had chimed in. Both Windows 95 and Doom required DOS and both requires a 386 CPU minimum. The only difference was that Windows 95 was included with a lot of computer systems and Doom wasn't. Also Gabe Newell explains in the video.

So you just didn't want to address the crazy claims of sales figures or anything else. Just throw shit around and see what sticks, is that it?

It wasn't until Vista that 3D graphics could be used to accelerate videos, desktop UI's like Aero, and compress video's.
    Nope. Graphics cards had video decoding acceleration in hardware decade before Vista already for Windows95 based things like CD-I, VideoCD's and DVD players.

With Valve pushing Steam for Linux, that may certainly increase peoples interest for Linux.
    Valve don't care about linux, they want to make Steam a console experience for livingrooms to compete with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.

Microsoft on the other hand doesn't know if they should promote PC gaming or Xbox One cause they both compete for the same market.
    Microsoft is making most profit with Office and the entertainment division doing XBoxes has been losing money heavily. It's two different markets they're dabbling in, gaming for PC is peanuts for them and there's no internal competition or confusion. Otherwise you would see Halo on PC instead of console exclusive.

DX12 will most certainly not be for Windows 7
    And your source for this is....? The same as the source for Doom sales figures, ie. your arse?

10+ Year Old Account
    So you just didn't want to address the crazy claims of sales figures or anything else. Just throw shit around and see what sticks, is that it?
    That Doom had a 2 year head start? Windows 95 did eventually outsell Doom but you're missing the point and having it fly over your head. Windows 95 is essential software where Doom is not, but more people were installing and using Doom. It's like comparing Windows 10 to Warlords of Draenor. You would think everyone would get Win10 but more people got WoD instead. More people are willing to pay a subscription to WoD instead of Office 365. The product cycle for Windows is longer than a game so it'll outsell it eventually but at that moment and time more people are interested in Doom over Win95. It's also included in every PC you buy whether you like it or not.

Nope. Graphics cards had video decoding acceleration in hardware decade before Vista already for Windows95 based things like CD-I, VideoCD's and DVD players.
    Not every graphics card and it was done with a special hardware MPEG2 decoder chip. ATI had to include a Theater 200 chip which was optional. Nowadays you can do this straight onto the GPU. I don't remember if they eventually merged the decoder chips into the GPU die first and then moved onto using DX pixel vertex shaders to do the job later.

Valve don't care about linux, they want to make Steam a console experience for livingrooms to compete with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.
    Yep.

Microsoft is making most profit with Office and the entertainment division doing XBoxes has been losing money heavily. It's two different markets they're dabbling in, gaming for PC is peanuts for them and there's no internal competition or confusion. Otherwise you would see Halo on PC instead of console exclusive.
    Also yep. So why do they even have Xbox when it's clearly a difficult market to compete in? I think they sold like 3000 Xbox Ones in Japan so far which is funny. It's a lot like Google with Android really. Why does Google create Android when it's free and they profit little from it? It's to protect their bread and butter search engine by making you reliant on Google services. Microsoft is trying to do the same thing with Windows and Xbox. It's also the same reason why Microsoft had such a hard on for "Metro-UI" "Modern-UI". They want the ecosystem to stay consistent and comfortable for consumers. Apple does the same thing.

And your source for this is....? The same as the source for Doom sales figures, ie. your arse?
    I have no source for DX12 not on Win7. I'm going by history with Microsoft cause history tends to repeat. But we'll see how things turn out but if Microsoft doesn't release DX12 for Windows 7 then you know they don't care two spits about their new API.

And you know well enough where I got my sources. Gabe Newell for one and you could just Google it or visit Doom Wikipedia page. Taken straight from the Doom wiki, which you'll find a way to discredit Wikipedia too I'm sure.

"In late 1995, Doom was estimated to be installed on more computers worldwide than Microsoft's new operating system Windows 95, despite million-dollar advertising campaigns for the latter.[citation needed] The game's popularity prompted Bill Gates to briefly consider buying id Software,[4] and led Microsoft to develop a Windows 95 port of Doom to promote the operating system as a gaming platform. One such presentation to promote Windows 95 had Bill Gates digitally superimposed into the game.[12] The 1995 release of Microsoft Excel 95 included a Doom-esque secret level as an Easter egg containing portraits of the programmers among other things.[13]"
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2014-10-08 at 05:05 PM.

And you know well enough where I got my sources. Gabe Newell for one and you could just Google it or visit Doom Wikipedia page. Taken straight from the Doom wiki, which you'll find a way to discredit Wikipedia too I'm sure.

"In late 1995, Doom was estimated to be installed on more computers worldwide than Microsoft's new operating system Windows 95, despite million-dollar advertising campaigns for the latter.[citation needed] The game's popularity prompted Bill Gates to briefly consider buying id Software,[4] and led Microsoft to develop a Windows 95 port of Doom to promote the operating system as a gaming platform. One such presentation to promote Windows 95 had Bill Gates digitally superimposed into the game.[12] The 1995 release of Microsoft Excel 95 included a Doom-esque secret level as an Easter egg containing portraits of the programmers among other things.[13]"
    Notice that [citation needed] bit in the middle... That means there is no verifiable source, just some internet anonymous has typed in that paragraph. Don't even need to discredit wikipedia because wikipedia discredits that claim of sales figures/number of installed copies.