Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Those versions are named after the release year...

No, but lack of Aero increases performance and reduces power consumption which is important for tablets and ultrabooks.
    I think that was the joke

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    Its sad that microsoft is being forced to release a new OS when 8 is already a great OS. People need to learn to accept change and how to use something new other wise we are never going to advance as a species. Its windows 8 its so damn easy to use if you spend more than 10 seconds with it and try.
    People aren't against 'using something new.' They aren't even against 'using something different.' They are, however, generally against using something cumbersome, lacking in features/support, and poorly designed from a power user's perspective. I finally switched from 7 to 8.1 because Microsoft made the effort to fix a lot of the crap they did wrong with 8, and it seems okay so far. Still missing support for some of the things I do, but the file system runs faster with less overhead (which my older PC appreciates), and I'm slowly getting used to it.

Aero has such a nice look to it, it pains me that they can't even leave it in as an option.

I expect DX12 will be the deciding factor for a lot of people; if primary support for Win7 has already ended by the time DX12 comes out, I don't think there's much chance it will be supported. Of course, DX12-only titles are still a long way off, and we'll see how much of a real-world impact it has on DX11 and earlier games. If I can live without Win8's much-vaunted performance improvements I'll probably be okay without DX12 right away too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I just read about this, apparently more ppl still use xp than win 8 which is rather funny but then for basic office use why would you need anything more grandiose unless your just looking to have the 'best'[citation].

"Across desktop PCs as a whole, only 13.4% currently run Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, according to research firm NetMarketshare.

By contrast, it says 51.2% are powered by Windows 7 and 23.9% by Windows XP, a version that is no longer supported by Microsoft."

crazy really 10% more ppl still use xp over the newest version, and win 7, dominating.

i'm quite happy with win 7, it runs my games, lets me use dx 11, i really don't need those touch screen tabs or any shortcut QoL improvements, all i need is a lightweight OS that has all the features i'm used to, innovation in the 'making it look more pretty' department doesn't do anything for me. probably won't upgrade to 10 unless i buy a prebuilt pc with it installed. says they plan a q4 2015 release so still some time to go.
    You do know that Windows XP is what is on all the computers owned by elderly. Those PC users are the last to update and sometimes never do.

DX 11? that's gone too, real soon.

Windows 7 lightweight? ummmm no

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great, are stuck with an OS from a company that can't even count.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    You do know that Windows XP is what is on all the computers owned by elderly. Those PC users are the last to update and sometimes never do.

DX 11? that's gone too, real soon.

Windows 7 lightweight? ummmm no
    i see we are looking for reasons for why so many still use xp over 8 or even 7, elderly sounds possible but there are probably more office computers using xp than the elderly, i know for example ALL of the public computers in my area run on XP, library, job centre, job-support places, all xp. conversely the elderly i know, like my nan, has a win 7 pc shocking.

dx12 will be backward compatible with 11.2 it has to be if they plan on releasing it for current gen computers (like the ps4 and xbone they have integrated apus 7870's?), i hear 8.1 gets first dibs, but 11.2=/=12 as far as i can tell.

it doesn't use much of my ram anyway, you can disable things that add unnecessary bloat, like indexing and such. when you have more than 8gb of ram anything that uses less than 1gb is pretty light weight (although i've never seen explorer go over 100mb), i've not seen a game use more than 4gb yet. most struggle to reach 3gb unless your deliberately forcing mods and other things to load cranking draw distances up to the max and loading insanely high texture packs. that means most of the time, with a 8gb system your at most using maybe 6gb at a push. so i don't retract anything. for me its lightweight, contains all the tools i need when i need them, has an interface i'm used to. still don't feel the urge to go for the touch screen fad.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-10-01 at 07:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    i see we are looking for reasons for why so many still use xp over 8 or even 7, elderly sounds possible but there are probably more office computers using xp than the elderly, i know for example ALL of the public computers in my area run on XP, library, job centre, job-support places, all xp. conversely the elderly i know, like my nan, has a win 7 pc shocking.
    my grandmother is still running 98, but i would agree, most XP installs are probably not normal user desktops, these are going to be offices, atms, digital signs, and industrial appliances

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    my grandmother is still running 98, but i would agree, most XP installs are probably not normal user desktops, these are going to be offices, atms, digital signs, and industrial appliances
    My library still has xp computers, but we are going to upgrade to windows 7. They are our old work computers.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Did a quick test in VMWare Player and first impression is that I like the new old start menu. Definitely step into right direction and better than in 7 or 8. Just wish it had more customization options for the size and shape of where the app tiles appear.

Also I think the new placement of the shutdown button is just taking a piss at all the whiners who complained it's hidden away :P
    Last edited by fixx; 2014-10-01 at 09:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone tried to open any heavy 3d application using the built-in video driver?

10+ Year Old Account
    got 10 installed, and i must say, i'm very impressed, i don't care about the start menu as i had no problem with metro, but everything else is awesome, clean install took about 5 minutes

10+ Year Old Account
    got 10 installed, and i must say, i'm very impressed, i don't care about the start menu as i had no problem with metro, but everything else is awesome, clean install took about 5 minutes
    Tried to use it, no luck in getting the wireless adapter to work without proper drivers... But still, very solid and stupidly stable for the first public version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    People aren't against 'using something new.' They aren't even against 'using something different.' They are, however, generally against using something cumbersome, lacking in features/support, and poorly designed from a power user's perspective. I finally switched from 7 to 8.1 because Microsoft made the effort to fix a lot of the crap they did wrong with 8, and it seems okay so far. Still missing support for some of the things I do, but the file system runs faster with less overhead (which my older PC appreciates), and I'm slowly getting used to it.
    Many pro 8 supporters are delusional into thinking that people are afraid of something new when they don't want to use 8. When 8 came out and realized it was that bad, I started to explore linux. Don't know about you but for me Linux was more new than 8. Took me a while to learn how things worked in linux land.

To me Win8 represents how users are losing control of their PC over to tabletization. Even Windows 10 doesn't seem to give up on that Metro UI interface. It can now be windowed and tiles are even in the start button. It's certainly not forced onto users in 10 but that doesn't stop Microsoft from sneaking it in. I'll be happy when I can uninstall Metro UI.

Also did anyone recognize the marketing department that skipped the name from 9 to 10? These guys really have no shame in what they do. Not that the name matters or bothers me but it shows how much regard they have for the average consumers intelligence.

Why not Windows 9? Here's some speculation:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleid View Post
    Why not Windows 9? Here's some speculation:
    It's just a joke not the real reason. Programmers check for Windows version number not the text

95 = 4.0
    WinNT 4.0 = NT4.0
    98 = 4.1
    ME = 4.9
    2k = NT5.0
    xp = NT5.1
    vista = NT6.0
    7 = NT6.1
    10 = NT6.4

etc.

Anyone with it installed wanna answer a question?

Does it have a Windows 98/Classic Theme?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    It's just a joke not the real reason. Programmers check for Windows version number not the text

95 = 4.0
    WinNT 4.0 = NT4.0
    98 = 4.1
    ME = 4.9
    2k = NT5.0
    xp = NT5.1
    vista = NT6.0
    7 = NT6.1
    10 = NT6.4

etc.
    i would think the same, but apparently its not a joke

https://searchcode.com/?q=if%28versi...indows+9%22%29

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Eh, Windows 10 will probably be decent it follows the pattern:

Windows 95: This is a pretty good burger
    Windows NT: Eh, this is like your earlier burger, but not as good.
    Windows 98: Oh cool, a cheesburger, this is nice.
    Windows ME/2000: WHO ASKED FOR A VEGGIE BURGER!!
    Windows XP: This is a steak... not a burger... ok well it is alright anyway.
    Windows XP, SP1,SP2,SP3: Why didn't you bring out the onions, steak sauce and potatoes in the first place?
    Windows Vista: WHY WOULD YOU PUT WHIPPED CREAM AND CHERRIES ON STEAK!! WHY!!!
    Windows 7: Steak, Medium rare, some sides. Ok this is actually pretty good, glad you learned your lesson.
    Windows 8: Krystal Sandwiches? Really? That is what you thought we wanted? What is wrong with you people anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    steak sauce
    What the hell is wrong with you!? o.O

i would think the same, but apparently its not a joke
    So many idiots breaking all good coding practices and Microsoft recommendations... Including Sun's JDK :P

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Eh, Windows 10 will probably be decent it follows the pattern:
    There's no pattern, it's a myth. Also your list has some pretty big errors on it.