Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    The problem is even you buy this, i don't know if you case can fit it, i can't find info on the case about gpu clearance.
    If you look at the manual you can see a 7870 is on the list of officially supported cards and they use a blower standard spec 7870 which is ~10inches. Also if you look at the manual you will see they add a stabilization back end to the card for shipping reasons which itself is 2-3 inches. So honestly he could even get a 980 in there pretty easy I just don't think the extra 250$ is worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post

400-450 isn't a problem. Just hoping my current processor can handle the psu and card.
    That is definitely not an issue. See http://anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013/8

That is a list of every cpu architecture for the past seven years or so. Sort of some magical super jump with skylake which I doubt is going to happen you are going to be fine. Notice the i7-950 that cpu is slower than yours clock for clock by a good amount and it is also a first generation i7 where as you have a third. Notice it is only 1 fps behind your cpu. For a more extreme example see the 920? that is 2.66-3ghz to your 3.3 to 3.9 with only 6 more fps in your favor.

And that is just comparing ghz not even accounting for the fact that the your 3770 is about 10-20% more powerful clock for clock depending on the task. So in reality if you want to equalize that then its ~3.6ghz - 4.29ghz on the low end compared to 2.66ghz - 3.00ghz and that only yields ~6 fps.

So your cpu is fine for some time to come. The psu definitely needs upgrading however if you want to venture into better gpus.

Actually, you can probably run a GTX 970... stock 970 is only 150w, and assuming just a mobo/cpu/hard drive you should have enough power, imo.
    Last edited by jackfrost; 2014-10-01 at 05:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost View Post
    Actually, you can probably run a GTX 970... stock 970 is only 150w, and assuming just a mobo/cpu/hard drive you should have enough power, imo.
    Not sure if serious. A rig with gtx970 (stock) needs 28-30amps (not talking about aftermarket ones that are overclocked). Op has like 31-32amps total on 12V. You willing to even take the change power it up once to try it? You buy a 350bucks gpu, you going to cheap out for another 50 to get a proper psu that you should anyway, cause you have a crap one, besides the upgrade?
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2014-10-01 at 05:55 PM.

Not sure if serious.
    Yes, serious.

If everything is stock (yes, I said stock), and the system only has the basics (cpu/(hdd/ssd)/gpu), its probably fine. I don't know where people are getting the 28 amp number from, but 28 amps on the 12v rails is 336watts, and nvidia stock specs clearly say 150w (even if you added the pcie slot power it would only be 225w which is a little over 18amps) and a required minimum psu of 500... but minimum psu reqs from gpus are almost always an overestimation, and a 40w difference is probably fine.

I could be overlooking something, but...

Edit: Of course, it might not work anyways because the 8500/8700 series has issues with video cards apparently: http://en.community.dell.com/support...515/t/19474677 http://en.community.dell.com/support...515/t/19601491
    Last edited by jackfrost; 2014-10-01 at 07:30 PM.

Deleted
    Yes you are overlooking something. The gtx970 even tho it say 145w tdp can peak to almost 300W (290 to be precice). That about 25amps, stock cpu is like 6-7amps and both those are @ 12v ofc. Op has 3 rails of total 32amps max!

So i don't need to keep going into other details, you get the point.

Yes you are overlooking something. The gtx970 even tho it say 145w tdp can peak to almost 300W (290 to be precice). That about 25amps, stock cpu is like 6-7amps and both those are @ 12v ofc. Op has 3 rails of total 32amps max!

So i don't need to keep going into other details, you get the point.
    No, perhaps you should actually READ what you linked.

A key part of it might be on the next page:
    [EDIT] Our original Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 reference sample suffered from a BIOS issue that caused a higher-than-expected power draw. We flashed the card with the reference BIOS and have updated the charts below with the new results. [/EDIT]
    looking at max load on the OVERCLOCKED gpus is pointless... we weren't talking about overclocked in the first place!

The STOCK 980 has a MAX LOAD of between 177.36 W and 185.70 W according to the site YOU linked... so no, I don't actually think I overlooked something, and I think you might want to be more careful next time in trying to prove someone wrong.

And that's talking about the 980, not the 970... because they PULLED the supposed stock 970 data because it was SIMULATED from a non-reference 250w card.

If you want to look at a more accurate representation of a stock 970, look here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...RIX_OC/23.html

The graph on that site is far more accurate because:
    NVIDIA did not provide us with a GTX 970 reference design, so we can only estimate its power consumption (156 W typical gaming, measured). We did so using a custom-design card with NVIDIA's original reference BIOS, since it uses the proper voltages, memory frequency, GPU base and boost clock.
    So not only could OP use a stock 970, s/he could also probably use a stock 980!
    Last edited by jackfrost; 2014-10-02 at 07:47 AM.

Deleted
    970 and 980 have small difference anyway if you wanna go there. gtx 970, 177W is stock, in a stress test with aftermarket ones it can go up to 240-250W (and at stress test you get throttling too). Besides that you are totally missing the point even if i am wrong with the numbers. You wanna place a high end gpu in there, in a low quality psu that has 2 6pin connectors...i won't even continue to argue about it.

Besides that you are totally missing the point even if i am wrong with the numbers. You wanna place a high end gpu in there, in a low quality psu that has 2 6pin connectors...i won't even continue to argue about it.
    Of course you won't... you're wrong.

The number of 6 pin connectors doesn't really have anything to do with the quality of the psu (I'm totally sure an amazingly high quality 200w psu will have tons of them amirite), and dell xps psus are usually decent quality, so its hardly "putting a high end gpu with a low quality psu." its more like they're both middle quality products.

Regardless, stock 970 or 980 would work fine. Non-stock is trickier, but hell, most non-stock would probably work too.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    and dell xps psus are usually decent quality
    o.0....naaaaaaaa

What you don't realize is...the consumers buying these products don't look at the PSU quality when buying, so they don't need to advertise "650W Seasonic BLAH BLAH BLAH". Because of this, they get to go cheap cheap. Cheap as they can get. The build only needs to work long enough to run the hardware inside and get through any warranty time limits. Past that it isn't their problem so why spend more when they don't have to?

Regardless, stock 970 or 980 would work fine
    Sure, it MIGHT work....but do you really want to trust a $350 card in a PSU that doesn't even meet the recommended requirements? There is a reason why they give recommended specs for safe use. I've learned never to fuck with electricity and putting a card that expensive into a PSU that is not only low quality but also below the listed PSU requirements is never a good idea. Risk the rest of your hardware too. Better off just playing it safe and spending the extra little money if you're going to be spending that much on the card itself. Save yourself some time and stress of having to rebuy a whole new computer PLUS a new GPU when the whole rig eats shit.

Oh and the reference model seems to be the only card with 2 6pin connectors so he'd be forced to go with that one regardless of his choice or preference.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-10-02 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    o.0....naaaaaaaa

What you don't realize is...the consumers buying these products don't look at the PSU quality when buying, so they don't need to advertise "650W Seasonic BLAH BLAH BLAH". Because of this, they get to go cheap cheap. Cheap as they can get. The build only needs to work long enough to run the hardware inside and get through any warranty time limits. Past that it isn't their problem so why spend more when they don't have to?

Sure, it MIGHT work....but do you really want to trust a $350 card in a PSU that doesn't even meet the recommended requirements? There is a reason why they give recommended specs for safe use. I've learned never to fuck with electricity and putting a card that expensive into a PSU that is not only low quality but also below the listed PSU requirements is never a good idea. Risk the rest of your hardware too. Better off just playing it safe and spending the extra little money if you're going to be spending that much on the card itself. Save yourself some time and stress of having to rebuy a whole new computer PLUS a new GPU when the whole rig eats shit.

Oh and the reference model seems to be the only card with 2 6pin connectors so he'd be forced to go with that one regardless of his choice or preference.
    Actually the xps, precision and alienware brands get rather good psus generally. Even the inspiron, vostro, optiplex, ect aren't to bad not great mind you but not bad either. gotta remember they have to pay for an onsite tech to replace crap when it goes bad and that isn't cheap so it doesn't pay to go completely bottom barrel.

dell does however screw ya on connectors. like a t3500 585 could happily support 2x6 or even 2x8 pcie connectors but you only get a single 6 unless you go to a t5500 which will have the same 585 psu but have a different power harness plugged in with more connectors.

That being said while I think a 970 might be okay on the stock psu I wouldn't trust it because that puts it real close to its max. if he had the 685 then id say go for it. so a replacement/upgrade is in order if he is getting a 970.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraszmyl View Post
    Actually the xps, precision and alienware brands get rather good psus generally. Even the inspiron, vostro, optiplex, ect aren't to bad not great mind you but not bad either. gotta remember they have to pay for an onsite tech to replace crap when it goes bad and that isn't cheap so it doesn't pay to go completely bottom barrel.

dell does however screw ya on connectors. like a t3500 585 could happily support 2x6 or even 2x8 pcie connectors but you only get a single 6 unless you go to a t5500 which will have the same 585 psu but have a different power harness plugged in with more connectors.

That being said while I think a 970 might be okay on the stock psu I wouldn't trust it because that puts it real close to its max. if he had the 685 then id say go for it. so a replacement/upgrade is in order if he is getting a 970.
    A) 460W still doesn't meet the recommended amount of 500W for 970
    B) I've learned not to trust a single piece of hardware they use that's branded with their name. Look up cheap in the dictionary and you'll find a picture of Dell's logo.

A) 460W still doesn't meet the recommended amount of 500W for 970
    B) I've learned not to trust a single piece of hardware they use that's branded with their name. Look up cheap in the dictionary and you'll find a picture of Dell's logo.
    Never said it did and that it needs replacement. Just said that it might work. To use an example I have sitting around....Theres a t3600 that I crammed a quadro 6000 in that is well below the suggested like 600w or whatever it is and it works perfectly if rather noisy since the case is not designed to handle this crap. Do I think it is silly to have a work machine setup like that? yes. does it work, yes? But that's not my call unfortunately. Point is it perhaps would work.

No dell uses cheap hardware in cheap products which isn't any different than any other company. You get what you pay for. Outside of the NVidia issue , the caps issue, and a psu thing a few years ago I cant recall any major issues and hey guess what all three of those things hit everyone even direct sells like Asus.

Edit - Oh there was an issue with the d630, e6400, e6410 ATG models and their lcds but you got a free sandybridge laptop out of that. Also the M11x had that hinge thing and the x51 while the fan worked was loud as fuck on release.

You also bring to mind a client who just returned a Vostro laptop saying it was crap and he was much happier with the Macbook that replaced it. Well ya had you bought a Latitude and spent the same 1.2k on it that you did the Macbook you would have been perhaps much happier than with the shitty little 400$ Vostro. Now ofcourse i cant say that to him and he thinks Dell is the worst ever and Apple is great.

Hey guys, OP here again. I'm soooo lost in all this talk, but trying to follow along haha.

Since I plan on buying a gaming rig in the next year anyway, whats the best budget option for PSU and video card? What wattage should I be looking for and what video card would give me decent performance. If you can link the products on amazon or newegg, even all the better.

Thanks again for all the help in this thread. I'm learning quite a bit.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys, OP here again. I'm soooo lost in all this talk, but trying to follow along haha.

Since I plan on buying a gaming rig in the next year anyway, whats the best budget option for PSU and video card? What wattage should I be looking for and what video card would give me decent performance. If you can link the products on amazon or newegg, even all the better.

Thanks again for all the help in this thread. I'm learning quite a bit.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($349.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $394.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-03 01:31 EDT-0400

Could always spend a little more on the PSU if you plan on either SLIing in the future or if you want modular. I just went with the most basic yet high quality PSU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($349.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $394.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-03 01:31 EDT-0400

Could always spend a little more on the PSU if you plan on either SLIing in the future or if you want modular. I just went with the most basic yet high quality PSU.
    Thanks for the links! As far as spending more for the PSU, I think I'm going to hold off as I'm planning on buying a new rig next summer anyway, so that one should do nicely.

As far as installing this stuff, I just pop my case open and replace the parts?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the links! As far as spending more for the PSU, I think I'm going to hold off as I'm planning on buying a new rig next summer anyway, so that one should do nicely.

As far as installing this stuff, I just pop my case open and replace the parts?
    The PSU would even be efficient to use in a new build assuming you use the 970 and not add another.

Make sure you uninstall graphics drivers completely before taking out your old GPU. As for installation, yea just remove your old GPU as well as your old PSU. Keep note of what cables were plugged in to begin with as you'll need to plug the new cables in. Install the new PSU and plug the new cables in where the old cables were. Afterwards, throw the GPU in and plug it in with the designated PCI connectors on the PSU. Turn it on, install new GPU drivers, and enjoy.

Let me note as well, measure the clearance where the GPU would go. See if the card will fit or not. You may have to result to the reference card if the space isn't enough. That card is something like 11.5". Reference card is about 9.5".
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-10-03 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks for reply.

But on second thought, I may just hire someone to do it. Knowing me, I'd mess something up lol.

Pretty sure a 970 is too long for that case. The 750 Ti I mentioned earlier is pretty much your only safe bet considering your case and PSU. You can try a 760, but I really wouldn't trust a 16A peak 12v rail on an OEM PSU.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's literally just unplugging cables, screwing in a box to your case, and plugging in the same exact type cables to the slots from the new PSU.

GPU is literally just uninstalling drivers from Programs menu, taking it out, putting new one in, plugging in the PSU cables, and visiting GeForce.com.

Cables don't change. You've got a 4pin connector and a 24pin connector that goes into the motherboard, SATA connectors for each storage drive or optical drive, and the 6(+2) pin cables for the GPU. Not much can go wrong there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Pretty sure a 970 is too long for that case. The 750 Ti I mentioned earlier is pretty much your only safe bet considering your case and PSU. You can try a 760, but I really wouldn't trust a 16A peak 12v rail on an OEM PSU.
    He's going to replace the PSU, and the reference model will definitely fit in the case, just not sure about the aftermarket models. He'd have to measure.