Crafted weapons lower Ilvl. Why?

Was it stated anywhere, why are the crafted weapons in wod lower item level compared to coresponding tier of gear (HC dungeon/flex)? I get it that they want to keep weapons slot as an important and special thingy, but with the limit of 3 crafted slots, seems much better not to have weapons at all if that is the idea...
    This way its just a trap and a way of making you feel bad for going or not going for it.

Because of how easy they are to get weapons are normally a stepping stone item. So they are typically of a lower level, though also because they are so easy to get they'll typically seed the next tier with more weapons slightly better than those attainable in the prior raid.

When you craft a weapon, it is of ilvl 630, and you get to improve that ilevel twice up to a total of 665, which is the ilvl of weapons in normal raids (and same as crafted epic armor. I guess this lower initial ilvl is to ensure that crafted weapon, that is easily obtainable by just getting few reagents together isn't better than drops you can get, but you still get to upgrade it to maximum potency (excluding Heroic or Mythic quality gear, because it could be considered OP that some people with given profession can craft better items that other's need to raid for). Who knows, maybe they will add items that further increase the ilvl as the game progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    When you craft a weapon, it is of ilvl 630, and you get to improve that ilevel twice up to a total of 665, which is the ilvl of weapons in normal raids (and same as crafted epic armor. I guess this lower initial ilvl is to ensure that crafted weapon, that is easily obtainable by just getting few reagents together isn't better than drops you can get, but you still get to upgrade it to maximum potency (excluding Heroic or Mythic quality gear, because it could be considered OP that some people with given profession can craft better items that other's need to raid for). Who knows, maybe they will add items that further increase the ilvl as the game progresses.
    Weapons go 630 - 640 - 655

Armor goes 640 - 655 - 665

As for the OP, a weapon upgrade is the biggest throughput gain you can get, all ilvls equal. They have to make the raid weapons more attractive than the crafted stuff, else everyone would just go weapon+chest+legs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Weapons go 630 - 640 - 655

Armor goes 640 - 655 - 665

As for the OP, a weapon upgrade is the biggest throughput gain you can get, all ilvls equal. They have to make the raid weapons more attractive than the crafted stuff, else everyone would just go weapon+chest+legs.
    To be fair, most people will anyway, replacing slots as they gear up through drops. At least the crafted gear will help with bad luck streaks I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    To be fair, most people will anyway, replacing slots as they gear up through drops. At least the crafted gear will help with bad luck streaks I suppose.
    Not many will craft and use the weapon the 17-18 days before raids unlock because Normal (Flex) drops the same item level and Heroic (Normal) drops better, assuming stage 3 crafted. You're just throwing away daily cd mats at a time when they're most valuable.

Not many will craft and use the weapon the 17-18 days before raids unlock because Normal (Flex) drops the same item level and Heroic (Normal) drops better, assuming stage 3 crafted. You're just throwing away daily cd mats at a time when they're most valuable.
    Exactly my point, rest of the gear will at least stay competitive with flex level loot, while weapon gets replaced as soon as you step into raiding.
    It would all be fine if not for a 3 crafted items limit, this way its just a trap and a waste of resource.

As far as I remember crafted weapons have almost always been a good chunk worse than comparable crafted gear, if there were crafted weapons at all. You see a weapon is something like a heart piece for every class and spec, and as such you are to get it as a reward for performance in endgame content. Crafting just isn't that, it's open to everyone and so offers a stepping stone from which you can make the jump into raiding, but nothing more. It's purposeful design.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    As far as I remember crafted weapons have almost always been a good chunk worse than comparable crafted gear, if there were crafted weapons at all. You see a weapon is something like a heart piece for every class and spec, and as such you are to get it as a reward for performance in endgame content. Crafting just isn't that, it's open to everyone and so offers a stepping stone from which you can make the jump into raiding, but nothing more. It's purposeful design.
    TBC disagrees with you.

There are 2 raids.
    The first(highmaul) drops 645 - 655 - 670
    The second(blackrock foundry) drops 655 - 665 - 680
    The plan was for there to go several weeks, up to a month between the raids(t14 was way too short delay after msv), so it should really be compared to the first raid.
    Crafted weapons fully upgraded = heroic = current normal

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    TBC disagrees with you.
    So because you find one exception to "almost always", he is wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    There are 2 raids.
    The plan was for there to go several weeks, up to a month between the raids(t14 was way too short delay after msv), so it should really be compared to the first raid.
    Which is why I've said not to craft your gear until after running Normal (Flex) and Heroic (Normal) for the first lockout, both of which are tuned for weaker gear than can be crafted, as who actually cares about Normal (Flex) and Heroic (Normal) progression?

Still, I'd be less interested in crafting a weapon if I get a decently itemized one from Challenge Modes though I am curious whether or not they can roll tertiary stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Because of how easy they are to get weapons are normally a stepping stone item.
    Have you even raided, seriously? Weapons are usually the second hardest slot to fill (trinkets usually being hardest). I for one will be crafting a weapon ASAP to ensure I don't end up with a WoD questing blue for an entire tier of raiding again.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Have you even raided, seriously? Weapons are usually the second hardest slot to fill (trinkets usually being hardest). I for one will be crafting a weapon ASAP to ensure I don't end up with a WoD questing blue for an entire tier of raiding again.
    Both Normal and Heroic will be personal loot systems so at least you're not fighting someone else for a weapon upgrade. Either way, heroic dungeon weapons and the conquest weapons will be stronger than anything you get from questing.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    There are 2 raids.
    If im not wrong, wowhead is stating that its Highmaul 655/670/685 and Blackrock Foundry 665/680/695.

Im not arguing the importance of a weapon as an item upgrade, im just saying that id much rather not have an option at all if its going to trap me into feeling bad when i get a drop that replaces it on week 2, or just the feeling of being forced to use an underpowered item. Rest of the gear is at least par with blackrock loot level, so it might have some longetivity.