Thread: High Ping

10+ Year Old Account

High Ping

Really couldn't figure out where to exactly put this but as it's affecting my online play I thought it would be fine here.

Recently (past 3 weeks) my ping has been skyrocketing to levels it shouldn't and I have no idea why. I have Time Warner Cable and I can't seem to figure out if it's the box, which I suspect it is, or a line somewhere. This isn't throttling as it's extremely wishy washy going up and down but on average it's much higher than it used to be.

Used to play on EUW from the East Coast US with 100-110 ping which is easily playable but now it's going from 150-200 and fluctuates a lot in between those numbers. It's getting to the point where it's causing me to play worse just due to my mental state every time I see it that high.

I have to ask, has anyone else been having issues recently from TWC? If so I'd love to know since I can then deduce what the actual problem might be.
    Hey everyone

I play most games on the US east coast from Japan and I get 200 ping usually, it's completely unnoticeable. When you say EUW I assume you mean for League and that is probably caused by the fact that EUW is the most unstable server ever

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I play most games on the US east coast from Japan and I get 200 ping usually, it's completely unnoticeable. When you say EUW I assume you mean for League and that is probably caused by the fact that EUW is the most unstable server ever
    They fixed that mostly though, by moving their server center. Although I can't actually speak of that, because I live too close to make any statements with facts. My ping is below 10, pretty much. on LoL EUW.

But Time Warner, that's American only right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    They fixed that mostly though, by moving their server center. Although I can't actually speak of that, because I live too close to make any statements with facts. My ping is below 10, pretty much. on LoL EUW.

But Time Warner, that's American only right?
    Aye it is but I'm also having ping issues on NA yet I have no packet loss of any sort. I'm really close to calling and seeing if I can get the lines checked or a potential new modem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    If you're on the East Coast US, ping isn't that much different from NA or EUW, maybe +-5 difference tops from where I live since NA servers are on West Coast US.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toph Beifong View Post
    High Ping
    You're not connected to a router through WLAN are you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    You're not connected to a router through WLAN are you?
    Using ethernet.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    I hear most of the internet in the U.S is a bit naff (no idea how true this ) I'm getting 156 ping from England to Seattle,WA.

I take it you've run http://www.speedtest.net/ a few times ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am in Indiana. Here I can play on NA servers just fine. European servers though are very random: some days the delay is just 50ms, others it can go all the way to 500ms; 100ms is already completely unplayable in Starcraft 2, so you get the picture.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toph Beifong View Post
    Really couldn't figure out where to exactly put this but as it's affecting my online play I thought it would be fine here.

Recently (past 3 weeks) my ping has been skyrocketing to levels it shouldn't and I have no idea why. I have Time Warner Cable and I can't seem to figure out if it's the box, which I suspect it is, or a line somewhere. This isn't throttling as it's extremely wishy washy going up and down but on average it's much higher than it used to be.

Used to play on EUW from the East Coast US with 100-110 ping which is easily playable but now it's going from 150-200 and fluctuates a lot in between those numbers. It's getting to the point where it's causing me to play worse just due to my mental state every time I see it that high.

I have to ask, has anyone else been having issues recently from TWC? If so I'd love to know since I can then deduce what the actual problem might be.
    tech support pro here -

1. are you using the modem as a router also?
    2. are you using wired or wireless connections?
    3. if the modem is also acting as a router, plug in multiple devices and run speed tests to see if there is a difference. if there is, its an end device thats the issue.
    4. if the modem is also acting as a router, does it have wired and wireless? if so test the same device with a wired and then wireless connection to see if theres a difference.
    5. if testing wireless make sure you are close to the wireless access point. things like walls, cables, microwaves, phones, and florescent lights can cause signal drop (yes florescent lights)

all said and done if you have tried and tested from all angles and the only common denominator ends up being the modem, it very well could be. if your paying the ISP for some jacked up "rental charge" they should have no problem and are obligated to replace it if you request.

at the same time, you used the phrases "time warner", "200ms ping", and "EUW" all in the same description. so thats a giant hot mess that could very well just be a combination of bad, really bad, and worse.
    Last edited by DiscoGhost; 2014-10-01 at 11:52 PM.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

To figure out if it's the box causing it, simply ping your default gateway(type ipconfig in cmd to find it). If it's a stable 1-2ms, try pinging random servers like google.com to see what's happening there.