Poll: Have you ever been the victim of heightism?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Only from doorways in Japan. Exiting the train can be especially brutal if you forget to duck, and subsequently fall on your ass with a head injury in the middle of rush hour (surrounded by short Japanese businessmen having quite the laugh at your expense).

Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    As a cis white male full of white privilege that is white, I have never felt the judgement of heightism, no.
    Now beardism though...
    I feel your pain. I have so much white I can hardly visit large cities anymore. All this privilege, it confines me to green grass suburbs without any choice in the matter :c.

As for heightism, one time at King's Dominion amusement park in Virginia. I was 2 inches short of going on with my cousins.

Deleted
    Ive never had a problem with my height. Im 6'3/4 and tbh i love it.

People mocked me because I was too tall and didn't fit in the school desk. They had my desk changed for some bigger one that didn't really fit the layout of the room, and had to be put separated from the rest. It didn't help the discrimination against me.
    Then I realized I was bigger than them and could easily turn it against them: physical punishment and such. I eventually reveled in my superiority and became the bully. Dark years of my youth. Fortunately it was just me developing a tad too early: I'm average sized now (tall-ish if anything).

tldr: if you're small, the bullies are your fault. /jk
    Last edited by nextormento; 2014-10-01 at 11:32 AM.

Deleted
    Not that I'm aware of, 5'8 here. It may well have happened without me knowing but not to a degree worth complaining about.

I am roughly 6 feet 4 inchs, thats erm 190cm I think? But if anything, as already mentioned, trains, planes and buses are my bane for existence. Over here in Northern Ireland, clothes only get wider, not longer so clothes is really an issue but a Jacamo shop has opened in Belfast and it means I can finally buy clothes with good length <3.

The main issue I have is that I have UK size 15, USA size 16 and european size 50 (I think its 50) feet and they are the hardest to get. I have not got jobs before because they could not provide me with PPE boots (which they had to supply. Wouldnt allow me to get my own). Similar in work when I was working in a factory for summer when I was in college. If I couldnt get a coat long enough to fit me (it was a FFA when it came to coats) before starting time, I was sent home.

Why does everything have to be a fucking ism these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    It really isn't. It's just a minority of people that like to politicize every single aspect of human interaction and be able to call other people bigots for not fitting their particular world view.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    I bet there's an ism for not liking isms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Child of Curiosity View Post
    It would seem that people are being discriminated against on a pretty regular basis due to their height. Has that ever happened to you?
    You mean discrimination in it's true meaning?

I've also people being discriminated for several (idiotic) things, but height would have to be freakin retarded.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    You mean discrimination in it's true meaning?

I've also people being discriminated for several (idiotic) things, but height would have to be freakin retarded.
    Well, only 3% of CEOs are below 5'7. 90% are above the average height.

Deleted
    Well I am above average tall so I do get comments but they are all either jokes/simply comments or compliments

I have had someone call me a "lanky b!stard" (as an insult) but I don't really see that as an insult since they are just reminding everyone that I am tall which I am proud of. It's like saying "you are such a sexy pr!ck" it hits the ear wrong but it isn't exactly an insult.

Now... small people on the other hand I believe have a tougher time, while again my smaller friends have been "victim" of small jokes etc etc I do feel that perhaps people who are smaller than average are more likely to be insulted than taller people since height is seen as a sort of attribute of strength and desire or w/e.

Ya tall people get social advantages, Its partly from a confidence boost.

The tallest people(Averaged, By country) are the Dutch, very cool!
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-10-01 at 01:43 PM.

Yes, by doorframes, chairs and the like - also: car industry most cars are not high enough for me to sit properly and still be able to see traffic lights.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 5'11" pretty much average I guess? I've never had a comment towards me one way or another.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazabius View Post
    Only from doorways in Japan. Exiting the train can be especially brutal if you forget to duck, and subsequently fall on your ass with a head injury in the middle of rush hour (surrounded by short Japanese businessmen having quite the laugh at your expense).
    Oh how I totally understand you...

How about the doors in older houses? At night? When you aren't wearing corrective vision implements and just have to go to the bathroom? (almost knocked myself out once)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

This is sarcastic right?

Like...heightism isnt seriously a thing, right?

Deleted
    I'm 6" but I inherited the same issue nearly all males in my family have - really big feet. It starts off a bit funny when I'm shoe shopping, I'll head to a shop and find a really nice pair of shoes (I'm fairly easy when it comes to shopping, it's a quick 10 minute job if that) and ask for a size 13. "We don't do that size." Okay no worries, how about a 12.5? "The largest we do is a 12". Okay I'll try the 12... Yeah that's not gonna work.

I once ordered converses (bumper boots? whatever.) from America once, ordered the UK equivalent of a size 14 because they're really thin material and more often than not the thinner the material the tigher the shoe is... Yeah size 14 only just fit. Not to mention I look like a trainee clown whenever I wear them but that's not the point.

Among my friend group I'm kinda average, there's a guy that's 6"4 (who never shuts the fuck up about how life is so hard for him and his size 11s) and there's a few guys around 5"6-5"9 so I don't really get the piss taken. We like to joke that it took me from 15-21 to finally grown the extra 1/4 of an inch to reach 6" but that's cool. It's not like my dad is 6"6 and my 18 year old brother is 6"2 or anything.

Cunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    This is sarcastic right?

Like...heightism isnt seriously a thing, right?
    Its obviously a passive effect. Just look at the CEO statistics. Should we do anything about it? No. Its not tall peoples responsibility to make short people feel more confident in themselves. People should learn to be confident without blaming discrimination on everything.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-10-01 at 02:18 PM.

Deleted
    i don't think i have ever been discrimated because i am short, but in school people use to mock how short i was. these days i don't think i am much shorter than the average person, but i would like to be taller.