Poll: Have you ever been the victim of heightism?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Being 185 cm tall, which is as average size for a male as it gets, no, there's no real way I could have been discriminated due to my height. I do like to troll short males if I know they are sensitive about their height, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, I'm six foot one, so I'm not short but I'm definitely not what anyone would really consider *tall* tall.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Discrimination based on looks is the biggest form of legal discrimination. Being discriminated against because you are fat, ugly, or short is not rare. People do it all the time, sometimes consciously, sometimes unconsciously. It probably comes down to innate breeding instinct having an effect on how we perceive other people, but it isn't something you can easily prove. Human like to group things together and classify them, so people just like objects are grouped together by their traits and classified. We are taught that doing that because of sex or race is frowned upon(despite actual biological differences) but there are many ways to classify objects(and people) and often it is also colored by our personal experiences.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    Of course, it could be because taller people are smarter.
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-03-genetic-link-height-iq.html

We still don't know a lot about how our traits relate to one other, but it certainly isn't something you can rule out just because it makes some people feel uncomfortable.

Deleted
    Nope.

Never!

And i've had another growth spurt (Within the last four months) so i've grown an extra inch and i'm rocking a solid 6.1 now, downside is the stretch marks on my inner thigh (Singular) they're not bad though.

I'm 5ft 3in So not what I would call really short, but I am short compared to my hubby, he pokes fun at my height in a cute way, and we're always joking about the fact our kitchen is not very *me friendly*

Never really had anyone make fun of my height in a nasty way, if anything it's more in an endearing way.

I'm neither tall or short, I'm 181 cm. I guess that makes me pretty average so I've never experienced it.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Not really, I'm six foot one, so I'm not short but I'm definitely not what anyone would really consider *tall* tall.
    still pretty tall tho man

Lol manlets. When will they learn?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by giscoicus View Post
    lol manlets. When will they learn?
    Back to /fit/ with you!

Well, yeah , I am 1.66m and I've been made fun (In a non harmful way by friends) for that. Its also difficult to buy pants that are nice in the waist but not super long.

And it takes away a bit of interest from the lady department I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Child of Curiosity View Post
    It would seem that people are being discriminated against on a pretty regular basis due to their height. Has that ever happened to you?
    You don't have to be so short with us, but you do have to be a big enough person to understand that all these low-blow remarks are just in jest. Surely you can see above the adversity and notice that it's just in the name of fun.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Average height and male. Never been a problem. That said I know a few people who were hired simply because they were small enough to crawl into shitty confined spaces. With the exception of physical advantages (basketball players? airforce?), instances where body image is the product/brand (models? product representatives [e.g.: sporting good reps]?) and interpersonal relationships (like attracts like?) you don't see too many instances. Regarding the clothing example, I doubt companies are going out of their way to discriminate against tall and short people - they're simply maximising profits by selling the items with the most demand - capitalism in practise?

Now if you want to see discrimination in practise try interviewing two roughly equally skilled women* for a position with one being even slightly overweight. I think men get a little more give and take here, but it still applies. Fat people are the new smokers

10+ Year Old Account
    I am 5'10" so pretty much everything in the world is made for me. Sometimes I wish I was an even 6', but meh.

I am a male of above average height. I feel discriminated against whenever I do dishes, because sinks are invariable 20cm too low and my back hurts. I now refuse to do them when I'm with other people and dry instead. I find it works out better that way.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    6'2 so no. I have an acquaintance who is like 5'5 and works out so much to over compensate. Has the biggest case of napoleon complex, especially when he is drunk, always bragging about the "pussy he got" and picking fights with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    That line is plotted pretty oddly considering the data points suggest a curve that peaks at 5'10" and drops off sharply after 6'0.

Being tall isn't all it's cracked up to be anyway. We have bar height counters and I still struggle to do basic plumbing in the kitchen.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

In WoW play a gnome tank then play a Tauren tank. The difference in how people treat you is amazing. People don't take gnomes seriously, I don't know why.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I have with Women...

I'm 5ft 7 and have a pretty good job and a pretty fine ass body (if I do say so myself) as I gym 5 days a week and am pretty into the whole bodybuilding caboodle. So with those two rather important boxes getting a big tick next to them I still on occasional have had women tell me "there just isn't a spark/connection" before watching them go off and a date a fatboy loser who happens to be over 6ft.

With other aspects of life like jobs, dealing with strangers and even friends I've had no issues whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from cutting my legs in two every time I have to sit on a damn plane, not really.

Then again, I enjoy the fact I can reach everything in the standard household without a step ladder.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol