Internet cuts out, says unplugged

I have already ordered a new cable, as that is my first thought, however, this problem occurred when the cable was new and ceased happening for several months.

What the problem is, is my internet will drop out, saying that a network cable is unplugged. The way I fix this is to unplug and replug my cable repeatedly. Another thing that makes me wonder if it is actually the cable is that when I disable my network adapter and re-enable it repeatedly, it will also fix it. It's just more cumbersome that way. I don't think it's the network adapter either, as it's happened with multiple computers.

I've also had this problem across multiple routers and modems. The indicator on the router for the line I plug into is orange regardless of which port I plug it into.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2014-10-01 at 09:32 PM.

Its obviously not the cable but either end of it.

Mobo controller or Router going bad.

If it's been doing it on multiple computers in the home, probably the router. You'll get a network cable unplugged message whenever the link signal is interrupted, can be at either end of the line.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    If it's been doing it on multiple computers in the home, probably the router. You'll get a network cable unplugged message whenever the link signal is interrupted, can be at either end of the line.
    It's across multiple routers and modems, too. I forgot to mention this in the OP. The line for this computer runs from the router around the outside of the house and back in to a port where I plug my ethernet cable in. Technically two cables, I guess, and yes I've ordered a replacement for the outside line. The indicator light for the line on the router for the other lines are all white, but for mine it is orange, which I assume means lower connectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    It's across multiple routers and modems, too. I forgot to mention this in the OP. The line for this computer runs from the router around the outside of the house and back in to a port where I plug my ethernet cable in. Technically two cables, I guess, and yes I've ordered a replacement for the outside line. The indicator light for the line on the router for the other lines are all white, but for mine it is orange, which I assume means lower connectivity.
    What's the total length of that cable end to end? Like between actual devices, not just wall jacks etc.

That is an odd setup haha.

what make/model of router is it? quick google for "white led router" says Netgear R7000?
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-10-01 at 09:36 PM.

What's the total length of that cable end to end? Like between actual devices, not just wall jacks etc.

That is an odd setup haha.

what make/model of router is it? quick google for "white led router" says Netgear R7000?
    I'm not sure, but if I had to guess I'd say approximately 70 feet. And yeah I think it's the R7000.

Well that's odd still.

Shouldn't be too long at 70ft, got plenty to work with.

If I get you right then, the cable just goes "outside" for whatever reason, then back inside and directly into the router then? There's no other plugs or jacks along the way?

Amber light on the R7000 just indicated it's 10/100mbit connection instead of Gigabit. It might be time for an upgrade to your computer

Well that's odd still.

Shouldn't be too long at 70ft, got plenty to work with.

If I get you right then, the cable just goes "outside" for whatever reason, then back inside and directly into the router then? There's no other plugs or jacks along the way?

Amber light on the R7000 just indicated it's 10/100mbit connection instead of Gigabit. It might be time for an upgrade to your computer
    It goes outside because it needs to traverse two floors and several walls and it was far easier to run it outside. It goes router to jack, jack to computer. I just realized there's actually a decent amount of slack in these cables that would bring the distance up to about 100 feet in terms of the actual cable itself.

As for computer upgrading, I doubt it's anything like that. The oldest thing in my setup is my 3770k, unless you want to count the fans.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2014-10-01 at 10:34 PM.

Check your duplex settings maybe for your NIC. Any P67+ era mobo that supports a 3770 should have built in GigE on it, so it's odd that you're only getting 10/100.

There may also be an issue with the jack->jack connection in the wall or w/e. Have you tried running a cable directly from the PC to router? Even just for testing purposes?

Check your duplex settings maybe for your NIC. Any P67+ era mobo that supports a 3770 should have built in GigE on it, so it's odd that you're only getting 10/100.

There may also be an issue with the jack->jack connection in the wall or w/e. Have you tried running a cable directly from the PC to router? Even just for testing purposes?
    It was on auto negotiation but that didn't matter as far as the "not plugged in" problem. What 'fixed' it is running directly to the router, so I guess it's either the outside cable or the wall jack causing this problem. Also, setting to 1 Gbps/Full doesn't change the light color. Not really too concerned with that anyway given it doesn't seem to be the cause of the no cable issue.

Ah well at least you know roughly where the problem is. You could always string a new cable in the wall easy enough. Just pop the plate off and tape some new cat6 to the end, then pull it through the other end. Re-terminate it on the keystones, voila!