Deleted

2 different SSDs showing as one drive

Hi people!

I will be building a new rig kinda soonish and want to give my 2 SSDs to my GF, she doesn't have one yet.
    BUUUUT ... i have a 64gb and a 128 gb ...

To make it simple for my girl i would love if it was somehow possible to make both drives appear as one 192gb drive on her pc.
    Is this possible? if yes: how?

thanks in advance!

Dynamic volume/dynamic disk. Generally not a good plan if one of them is your OS drive though.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

There are ways, but none are totally seamless or without problems.

One of the better options IMHO would be having the second drive set up for backup of all important files. You just need to set it up once and she doesn't have to deal with drive letters or anything. Or make the 64GB drive as an external USB3 device with 2,5" enclosure.

Deleted
    the initial plan was to have the OS running off the "unified drives" ... she'd also be able to install games on that drive ... but seems its not a good idea, hm ? ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Sell the 64gb, use the money and $20 more to buy a 1TB HDD.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    the initial plan was to have the OS running off the "unified drives" ... she'd also be able to install games on that drive ... but seems its not a good idea, hm ? ^^
    It'd probably work just fine, its just bad practice as it can possibly become instantly unbootable and if anything ever goes wrong you're mostly fucked and have to start over.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hi people!

I will be building a new rig kinda soonish and want to give my 2 SSDs to my GF, she doesn't have one yet.
    BUUUUT ... i have a 64gb and a 128 gb ...

To make it simple for my girl i would love if it was somehow possible to make both drives appear as one 192gb drive on her pc.
    Is this possible? if yes: how?

thanks in advance!

I hope this will guide you to do what you want.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/132877/RAID.html

Its an explanation to set up Raid 0, good luck

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Sell the 64gb, use the money and $20 more to buy a 1TB HDD.
    she already has a 2TB HDD in her rig ... but no SSD. She also usually installs alot of games she plans to play but never uninstalls any ... that's why i thought of giving her more SSD storage.

but something seems to be wrong with the HDD ... all kinds of drive scans don't show any weaknesses, but sometimes games would load forever. windows boots fast, but to be fully useable you have to wait for 4-5 minutes ... (load LED constantly flashing like crazy from booting to about 5 minutes after) ...
    some time ago someone mentioned to change the SATA port, but that didn't help either.

the biggest problem however is that installing games on steam with full internet bandwith (being 75mbit/s) will make the computer crash! if i limit steam downloads to 5mbit/s there's no problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TBSandt View Post

How do you suggest they setup RAID 0 with a 64gb and a 128gb drive? Or even what the point would be as the best they could achieve is 64GB x 2 with zero performance benefit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TBSandt View Post

thanks for the guide, as i read it having 2 SSDs different in size might result in only having the smallest drive multiplied, leaving 64gb of the larger drive barren ...
    the board is an Asus P8Z77-V LK, if you could help me figure out whether or not the board would handle the two different drives well without having me lose storage space, would be awesome!

thanks for the guide, as i read it having 2 SSDs different in size might result in only having the smallest drive multiplied, leaving 64gb of the larger drive barren ...
    the board is an Asus P8Z77-V LK, if you could help me figure out whether or not the board would handle the two different drives well without having me lose storage space, would be awesome!
    it won't, period.