10+ Year Old Account

arcane dust question

so far i have 525 dust or something like that. should i save for a legendary and hope to get the rest of the couple dozen or so epics i need via card packs or should i wait on legendaries and craft epics first? i'm also worried about crafting a epic/legendary and then ending up getting that same card within a couple packs.

(the legendary i plan on crafting is either ysera, alexstrasza or golden deathwing. i really like the golden deathwings colors.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    When I was brand new I spent around 500 dust on the cards I wanted to complete a deck I wanted. I ended up getting every card I wanted in packs over the next few weeks.

I'd suggest saving for the legendary you really want. It'll be used in more decks than any other card.

Do you have solid decks already? If not, spending the dust on getting them up to something you're comfortable with before a legendary would likely work best so you can use the decks to grind out the rest of the dust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackielope View Post
    Do you have solid decks already? If not, spending the dust on getting them up to something you're comfortable with before a legendary would likely work best so you can use the decks to grind out the rest of the dust.
    i have the basic cards. all of the common ones. 2 of almost every single rare. just over half of the epic cards and about a dozen legendaries.
    i only have a few of the goldens.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most decks require a staple of commons and rares to even function properly. Apart from decks that are built specifically around Legendaries - Miracle and Control Warrior, for example - you will often find that Legendaries are just the sauce on the meat of your deck.

I'll use Shaman as an example (who'da thought I'd do that? But it's a VERY good example): you can craft Legendaries until the cows come home but if you don't have Dogs (common), ES (common), LB (common) or Storm (rare) your deck is going to FAIL.

Legendaries can very often be subbed for a lesser card that does the same thing slightly worse. It's the critical commons, rares and epics that will determine if your deck lives or dies.

Great cases in point: BGH and Faceless. Both are epics (not legendary) but with the focus shifting back to control decks they are back in then "god tier" utility category. I faced a LOT of handlocks at the end of last season. BGH was very, very often the difference between a win or loss. And with the Earth Ele deck I'm running, I wouldn't even dream of doing it without a Faceless (both are epics). Thalnos and KT are great to have in this deck but are easily replaceable if I didn't have them. By commons, rares and epics are not - they make the deck what it is.

Find what your chosen deck REALLY needs. It doesn't matter what rarity it is. Craft it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, with regards to Deathwing - he's one of THE most situational cards in the game. When you play him, you're basically saying to yourself "I need to win this match in the next two turns oh god I hope he doesn't have removal and/or taunt minions".

If you like the aesthetics, then sure. It's your deck to do with what you will. But he's a YOLO all-or-nothing card that can and will lose you the game spectacularly when it gets countered.
    Last edited by Nikkaszal; 2014-10-03 at 07:58 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i have the basic cards. all of the common ones. 2 of almost every single rare. just over half of the epic cards and about a dozen legendaries.
    i only have a few of the goldens.
    It sounds like you're pretty solid, but there are still plenty of gaps certain rares and epics can help with. As Nikkaszal mentioned sometimes one has to build around legendaries, while in other cases they simply tweak the deck to be a bit better. Golden cards are more "prestige" than anything so it's better to make sure you've got as many cards as possible before going for golden.

Come to think of it, I'd recommend saving dust and such for the big expansion if you already feel good about your current setup. That way you can dive right into crafting and using the cards instead of having to grind more.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackielope View Post
    It sounds like you're pretty solid, but there are still plenty of gaps certain rares and epics can help with. As Nikkaszal mentioned sometimes one has to build around legendaries, while in other cases they simply tweak the deck to be a bit better. Golden cards are more "prestige" than anything so it's better to make sure you've got as many cards as possible before going for golden.

Come to think of it, I'd recommend saving dust and such for the big expansion if you already feel good about your current setup. That way you can dive right into crafting and using the cards instead of having to grind more.
    i really want golden deathwing though. his graphics are just too awesome. once thoughtstole a golden deathwing was best thoughtsteal ever. won me the game.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i really want golden deathwing though. his graphics are just too awesome. once thoughtstole a golden deathwing was best thoughtsteal ever. won me the game.
    His graphics are awesome but he's not exactly the kind of card that's easily played... Fairly often he will just sit in your hand and you do have to make sure to bait out hard removal like Hex or Polymorph so you can use him.
    Super Brony Friendfinder