Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    It is not the maids so much but more about how black people were seen in society at the time. In Tom and Jerry's world black people could only be maids and nothing else. Vhoss as a great image post highlighting what people may have a problem with; black face, pickaninny, and savage. There is nothing wrong with being a maid and the images are funny...I guess but you have to apply them to the context of the time and what they were meant to depict is racist.

In the context of the time watching niggers sing and dance was entertaining. Big lips, wide noses, black skin, and whatever else was something to be poked fun at and made in jest. That was the enjoyment of that time and place. Some people don't feel comfortable knowing that and wish to white wash history in order not to have to explain the past.
    What is there to explain? The children isn't going to see a black maid and think "Oh, so that's the only role for black people - servants! Fetch me my formula, nigger"
    Children see a maid that is black in a cartoon they like, and that's as far as this goes. They have no idea that it was degrading at the time of production, nor do they give two shits about what people 60 years ago use to laugh about. Children don't apply what they watch to the context in which it was made, that argument doesn't hold water. If a parent feels uncomfortable with that, tough shit, you're going to have to let your kids watch stuff without projecting your own prejudice onto them.

Edit: Scratch that, they don't have to, because they're managing to get these things banned instead. Let's keep the existence of skin color hidden from our children as long as we can. Hell, let's segregate schools and communities, that way they don't ever have to see a person of different color at all
    Last edited by Revi; 2014-10-03 at 12:27 PM.

The question I'm asking myself is: why does stuff like this cause these spotaneous allergic reactions with some people? What's it to you? Why does it push your buttons?

I honestly don't give a damn that TV stations or stores feel they need to state that they don't identify with certain stereotypes in old shows, or give a warning to viewers who might feel offended, or to parents who possibly feel they'd rather not have their kids exposed to certain material. That's all down to personal judgement of individuals. I have no problem with it.

There's a certain thing about people who keep bitching and are easily provoked by notions of "political correctness". One could think it's a sense of guilt.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why racism isn't getting any better...

That warning is outright bullshit, outright pathetic, and only contributes to all that other masses of unwarranted whining that deflects from the true issues.
    The desensitizing, mind numbing boy cries wolf effect kicks in with that crap..
    If shit's get thrown around left and right - and that it definitely does - then people becoming immune and evasive towards the real problems.

Fuck that.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    What is there to explain? The children isn't going to see a black maid and think "Oh, so that's the only role for black people - servants! Fetch me my formula, nigger"
    Children see a maid that is black in a cartoon they like, and that's as far as this goes. They have no idea that it was degrading at the time of production, nor do they give two shits about what people 60 years ago use to laugh about. Children don't apply what they watch to the context in which it was made, that argument doesn't hold water. If a parent feels uncomfortable with that, tough shit, you're going to have to let your kids watch stuff without projecting your own prejudice onto them.

Edit: Scratch that, they don't have to, because they're managing to get these things banned instead. Let's keep the existence of skin color hidden from our children as long as we can. Hell, let's segregate schools and communities, that way they don't ever have to see a person of different color at all
    That was not my point at all, it was just an explanation of why it is seen as racist. You keep talking about the maid but what about the other things I mentioned? What made those images funny is what they are associated with.

15+ Year Old Account
    That was not my point at all, it was just an explanation of why it is seen as racist. You keep talking about the maid but what about the other things I mentioned? What made those images funny is what they are associated with.
    That's weird, I laughed because when I was a kid I thought tribal people chasing Jerry was funny, and I thought Tom sticking his head in the oven was funny, and I thought Tom serving Jerry as a snack as funny. I didn't even have the first clue that it was supposed to resemble "black face" or that tribal people were only funny because they were black. Shit, I must have been subconsciously quite knowledgeable of sociopolitical issue of the 1940's as kid.

It's not like children like animals and slap-stick humor, they just really love seeing black people portrayed as segregated stereotypes.

That's weird, I laughed because when I was a kid I thought tribal people chasing Jerry was funny, and I thought Tom sticking his head in the oven was funny, and I thought Tom serving Jerry as a snack as funny. I didn't even have the first clue that it was supposed to resemble "black face" or that tribal people were only funny because they were black. Shit, I must have been subconsciously quite knowledgeable of sociopolitical issue of the 1940's as kid.
    Clearly, you're the representative model of all children and humans overall.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    You honestly think children laugh because they instinctively enjoy humor that deprecated black people?

10+ Year Old Account
    The mouse will smash the cat's head with a fucking hammer about 10 times an episode, and shoot him, impale him, chop him to piece and feed him to a dog.

THAT is okay. A black person in a maid outfit? WE MUST WARN THE CHILDREN.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    ...fortunately she's mostly outgrown cartoons...
    Something has gone terribly wrong... one does not out grow cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdancing View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/education-29427843

bumped into this article and was curious to know what your opinions are
    Have you not seen Animaniacs?

That show has so much racism, sexism, and sex puns I'm amazed it got aired even in it's generation.

I'll just leave this few examples...

"Good Night Everybody" -- Because we are probably cancelled. :P
    Last edited by Arkuri; 2014-10-03 at 12:59 PM.
    Simmons: There's no "I" in "team".
    Griff: There's no "U" in "team" either. so if "U" and "I" aren't in the team, who gives a f_ _ k about the team?
    "Gotta' trust some one to be betrayed. I never did." - Captain Price
    Bungie Has My Studio Of The Decade Vote. "Hours Played" is greater than "Money Made".

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Old timey stuff is offensive as hell, so nothing surprising here :P

Warnings > banning any day, so I approve! This means that when I have kids, I get the reminder to explain to them the various edgy scenes.
    Agreed! Also, there's that old pulled episode of Bugs Bunny where he acted like a stereotypical southern black woman talking about being beaten or something to that degree... It's been awhile so I don't remember it too clearly (and no, I sure as shit wasn't even alive when it was made )

Everyone's gotta remember that these old cartoons were made before equality set in and racism was considered a bad thing, so if you're the race they're making fun of (remember, they picked on more than just one race), try to take it with a grain of salt, or simply don't watch it if it gets to you too easily.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdancing View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/education-29427843

bumped into this article and was curious to know what your opinions are
    As it often is, that people have too much time on their hands and go hunting down things to be offended by.

You honestly think children laugh because they instinctively enjoy humor that deprecated black people?
    You honestly think you're the blueprint for how the world is spinning?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    I know those of you without kids may find this shocking
    Replace "those of you without kids" with "those of you who are fucking morons and continue to make stupid things a giant deal".
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's still an absurd thing to point out. I don't know that I can think of a single person who's watched Tom and Jerry and been like "HA! Back in service where you belong!".

They are creating an issue out of something that was never an issue...because it was a cartoon about a mouse trying to murder a cat. They were quite literally looking for something to be offended by. Stupid shit like this is why people hate the "PC Crowd". It's fabricating controversy.
    Last edited by Xisa; 2014-10-03 at 12:55 PM.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

15+ Year Old Account
    You honestly think you're the blueprint for how the world is spinning?
    Do you honestly think answering a question with a completely unrelated question is any way to move a conversation forward?

Hihihi

It's not like children like animals and slap-stick humor, they just really love seeing black people portrayed as segregated stereotypes.
    This is why I love the mindset of a child: So fucking pure until adults come and ruin it.

You cannot be serious. When you watched these cartoons, you instantly started to have racist thoughts?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    You cannot be serious. When you watched these cartoons, you instantly started to have racist thoughts?
    Lol, when I watched those cartoons I didn't even know they were supposed to be a portrayal of black people. I just thought they were some type of characters that were black, didn't think anything else of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ossyria View Post
    I think you mean 'Years later when I had several cultural and social issues rammed up my ass until I was choking on them'. This is such a big deal being made out of nothing. I wonder just how many black people are actually offended. I'd bet any money this 'outrage' stemmed from caucasians. There is nothing offensive about a big black woman. She's not being illtreated in any way. Maid != slave. Offensive my arse. There do exist big black ladies in real life. Do we find them offensive?

I don't find that offensive. Pft. White people - Knowing what's best for black people since 1619...

PS Children have a conscience. They just haven't been fucked up and warped beyond all innocence by adult conventions and prejudice.
    Good points and sharp(spot on) wording, couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Child of Curiosity View Post
    Lol, when I watched those cartoons I didn't even know they were supposed to be a portrayal of black people. I just thought they were some type of characters that were black, didn't think anything else of them.
    Same! Truth be told, I was very sheltered growing up and didn't even know black people existed until I was about 10 or so. (Private schools suck sometimes, lol) Even after finding out that there are people who aren't just white people, I continued to be supposedly oblivious to the fact that said cartoons were making fun of other races. Hell, I didn't even think that was really something you could pick on someone else for, and to this day I still hold that belief because I don't understand why someone would attack someone else based on something they're born with and cannot change. Racism is on the same level as attacking a mentally handicapped person because they're handicapped, or hitting a woman purely because you're a misogynist.