Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Yeah, here we have more unemployed than jobs as well, but still there are opportunities for ppl who are willing to work. I think when it comes to lower skill jobs it may be better to leave big cities and go for smaller ones. You can be a farmer, mason, carpenter, weller ... stuff like that. You can build your own house without the need for big mortgage, buy a decent car, raise kids. If you can't do that in US that sucks. You guys should riot
    I can see how someone outside the US would look at, listen to, and read what's going on in the US and wonder how it all hasn't collapsed.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    $4 dollars for a Big Mac? Where? New York airport?

At my McDonalds it's $1.75.
    $1.75? I envy you. Over here (Germany) it's ~$4.49 (3.59€) for a big mac. I only ever go there if they have a 2 for 1 deal going on

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Prices have never gone up when minimum wage went up? Are you fucking high?
    Wal-Mart, for example could raise their prices only 1.4% on everything, which is negligible and pay all of their employees that are making below $10.10 an hour and still make their $15-16 billion a year. http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...s-food-stamps/ You could then take out a few hundred thousand people off of food stamps or welfare or both. Which in turn could lower taxes or give the rest of the people on those programs more money for food instead of the crap they get stuck with now.

Using the Wal-Mart example, another way they could offset such a cost is to reduce the $35 million/year or $16,892/hour salary of their CEO. The gap between CEO and their average employer has stretched so far apart it's asinine.

I wonder if abolishing the Walmart CEO position all together and giving that money to employees would make a difference? It's a lot of money to give one man but give that to two million people (google says) and it's not a lot.

And Walmart recently had a change of CEO's cause the old CEO wasn't preforming well so he was fired for poor performance. Or made to step down.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The job market is controlled by the side that has the demand. Most minimum wage jobs are more in demand than the people who are qualified to take them, hence why they pay minimum wage. Military vets are in demand because they generally have more training and a demonstrated ability to follow directions and function in a group setting.

- - - Updated - - -

STEM is, at its core, critical thinking.
    It's ALSO because service members have multiple benefits, the GI bill (which can pay for education if employers want you to go to school for a couple of years) and can, in some cases, offer tax breaks and credits to the employer. There's also a certain level of soldier worship in our country. It's not the soldiers' faults, but lots do hold vets far above normal citizens.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I honestly don't know how some of the people on here would survive if there was a disaster, i mean if the Gov't wasn't there to give everyone everything....my goodness what would people do?
    I worked as a contractor for FEMA for several disasters, and my central and south america jobs had us in small groups being self reliant. We were all college grads, and while we weren't prepared for every scenario, we had the critical thinking skills to make our way. Doing these out of country ventures did prove I had these skills I already knew I did, but it still only managed to get me a research assistantship position.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    Can't stress enough the importance of the economy doing well. I can see it in my line of work. People who got laid off about six years ago took the kind of work I do so it was hard for me to get work. Now the economy is doing better and those people are trading up for better jobs. Now I have a buyers market for jobs.

That helps all levels of the economy where people at the low paying jobs will get opportunities to move up as people above them get better jobs.

Let's all hope there's nothing sitting out there like the housing bubble and we have a good economy for a long time.
    How are you going to have something like that vision with a deregulated, corporate/nanny-state system?