Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    You need a new gpu. Get the new gtx 970 4gb.
    Isn't that a bit overkill? I only play WoW, Hearthstone, LoL, CS: GO

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    I have a 2400, not a 2500 k though.
    And yet the difference between stock 2500k and a 2400 is .2Ghz. 2500k on stock can handle WoW just fine, so I'm assuming those .2Ghz isn't going to be make or break. Your GPU is likely a problem, and probably will be moreso in WoD.

I'll say it again since you apparently didn't understand the first time. Run programs to monitor CPU and GPU usage during major cities/raids/whatever. If you're GPU is at max load when the frames are low on Ultra, buy a new GPU. If the GPU isn't under max load when the frames drop but the CPU's 2 cores are, then you want to buy a new CPU. I don't see the GPU not being at max load though to be honest, especially in WoD when the GPU starts taking on more loads from the CPU to help the fps issues we've all been having.

~40fps in a crowded major city or a 25man is what one should honesty expect consistently.

And yes for those games the 970 is overkill. I'd stick with a 760.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    And yet the difference between stock 2500k and a 2400 is .2Ghz. 2500k on stock can handle WoW just fine, so I'm assuming those .2Ghz isn't going to be make or break. Your GPU is likely a problem, and probably will be moreso in WoD.

I'll say it again since you apparently didn't understand the first time. Run programs to monitor CPU and GPU usage during major cities/raids/whatever. If you're GPU is at max load when the frames are low on Ultra, buy a new GPU. If the GPU isn't under max load when the frames drop but the CPU's 2 cores are, then you want to buy a new CPU. I don't see the GPU not being at max load though to be honest, especially in WoD when the GPU starts taking on more loads from the CPU to help the fps issues we've all been having.

~40fps in a crowded major city or a 25man is what one should honesty expect consistently.

And yes for those games the 970 is overkill. I'd stick with a 760.
    I did understand what you said but what program should I monitor the GPU/CPU with?

I tried it with HWiNFO64, this is what I got. Not really sure what to do with this information...

CPU: http://imgur.com/SCpZaC1,xoKYKqQ#0
    GPU: http://imgur.com/SCpZaC1,xoKYKqQ#1
    Last edited by alemaite; 2014-10-12 at 05:56 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    We're these loads taken while raiding or in a crowded major city? Was the program minimized at the time? The loads need to be taken while the game is open and not minimized while in the situations.

That been said, I still feel that the GPU is probably going to be your best price to performance upgrade for WoW in particular while serving as the clear winner for most of all other games. That will stand more true tomorrow when 6.0.2 releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    We're these loads taken while raiding or in a crowded major city? Was the program minimized at the time? The loads need to be taken while the game is open and not minimized while in the situations.

That been said, I still feel that the GPU is probably going to be your best price to performance upgrade for WoW in particular while serving as the clear winner for most of all other games. That will stand more true tomorrow when 6.0.2 releases.
    Taken while in a crowded city with everything on ultra (I had about 20 - 25 fps).

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well the column titles are cut off and the first column I'm going to assume is current, neither cores are maxed out and the GPU isn't close to max load so I'm going to have to assume that it was minimized just before taking this picture. My opinion still stands on the GPU being the better choice for upgrading at a cheaper price range. You're looking at $200 vs $400, and WoD is going to utilize the GPU a bit more. If you've got $400 to replace the CPU and Mobo then by all means go for it. You can take the advice or not. Up to you.

As you said, you don't want to spend money for 5-10fps increase. Well you'll be lucky to see 15 with the $400 upgrade. Especially if you don't overclock.