Page 1 of 34
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

The "Fatkini" trend.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-li...#ixzz3D2dGpi8n

How to get a bikini body? Put a body in a bikini” is the war cry from an army of larger ladies learning to love *themselves and their love handles.

Sick of being fat-shamed and made to hide behind hideous “fat-shions”, a fast-growing number of plus-size women around the world have bravely outed their big and beautiful bodies by shedding their beach cover-ups and posting shots of themselves on Twitter and Instagram wearing bikinis.

US plus-size fashion blogger Gabi Gregg was the first to upload a photo of herself in a glam two-piece under the hashtag #fatkini to complain about the lack of sexy bikinis for big girls.

Before long, curvy women *everywhere were inspired by the hashtag, using #fatkini as a term of empowerment and parading their curves in swimwear.

We've seen a bit of momentum in the fat acceptance movement and this fatkini trend seems to be indication of it.

On one end, it's okay to embrace who you are and take pride in it. There's no reason that a fat woman should constantly feel bad about herself being fat. However, I also think that taking pride in something that is ultimately unhealthy and self-harm is doing nothing good except for making the fat women feel better about this indisputable fact. I'm afraid that this embrace could lead to people thinking the being fat is socially acceptable. It shouldn't be for a plethora of reasons.

Another dislike I have is that these women are calling themselves "curvy", sullying a term that women who are actually curvy in an attractive way take pride in. "Curvy" means having a fat ass, not being one.

What are your guy's thoughts on the Fatkini trend on the internet? Love it or hate it?

Couldn't care less about the trend. But if it pisses of the people who say crap like: "I'm afraid that this embrace could lead to people thinking the being fat is socially acceptable" and "sullying a term that women who are actually curvy in an attractive way take pride in," I'm all for it. You go girls.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-li...#ixzz3D2dGpi8n

We've seen a bit of momentum in the fat acceptance movement and this fatkini trend seems to be indication of it.

On one end, it's okay to embrace who you are and take pride in it. There's no reason that a fat woman should constantly feel bad about herself being fat. However, I also think that taking pride in something that is ultimately unhealthy and self-harm is doing nothing good except for making the fat women feel better about this indisputable fact. I'm afraid that this embrace could lead to people thinking the being fat is socially acceptable. It shouldn't be for a plethora of reasons.

Another dislike I have is that these women are calling themselves "curvy", sullying a term that women who are actually curvy in an attractive way take pride in. "Curvy" means having a fat ass, not being one.

What are your guy's thoughts on the Fatkini trend on the internet? Love it or hate it?
    The problem is the contradiction in that. We control people through shame. Or at least, it's one of the most effective methods society uses. We cannot simultaneously say "be who you are there's nothing wrong with that" and "this aspect of who you are is killing you, you have to stop doing that."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Couldn't care less about the trend. But if it pisses of the people who say crap like: "I'm afraid that this embrace could lead to people thinking the being fat is socially acceptable" and "sullying a term that women who are actually curvy in an attractive way take pride in," I'm all for it. You go girls.
    I wouldn't say it pisses be off. I took the time to point out the obvious benefits of the trend. But the benefits of gaining the self-esteem do not exceed the costs it could bring if people actually started accepting obesity.

Deleted
    Mother of.. whales. Why are they encouraging an unhealthy lifestyle? Being obese is not something you're born with or a disability. It's a disease and it's not "fine" to learn to live with it if everyone can cure it with a little willpower.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I want to say it wasn't that long ago we had like 2 or 3 fat threads closed.
    Ehh, I don't exactly enjoy seeing it, but hey if they are comfortable go for it. As far as making being fat socially acceptable... I'm not sure if you've been to Walmart lately my friend, but that ship done set sail a while back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

I am really attracted to thicker women (not obese, but like a 4-7) so I take no issue with women who think they're fat running around in thongs on the beach. What I don't like is looking at a beached whale. I mean, let's be honest, if it was #fatspeedo people would be CLAMORING to the phones calling the cops for indecent exposure, saying their kids are scarred for life, but because they're women it's okay. There's a point where you have to realize you are just really fat and have to accept it. I don't understand why this bullshit is being forced on us. It's not even comparable to racism or sexism, blacks are born black, fat people aren't born fat, grow a pair and deal with it. What's next? Stupid people acceptance? Racist person acceptance? Come the fuck on, enough already

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50Ghz, OC'd to 4.0Ghz | 8GB Corsair DDR3-1066 RAM | Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    NVIDIA GeForce 680GTX 2048MB VRAM | Corsair 750TX 750W PSU | Phantecks Dual fan PH-TC14PE

Has 4chan taken over the Mirror?

The girls in the photos don't look too bad. In my grand dad's era there were a bunch of guys who preferred heavy girls, I wonder if some guys in this era like fat chicks too but are too afraid to say?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Ahhhhh OMFG kill it! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

That was the broadest broad I have ever laid eyes on and I regret clicking that link. Bikinis should not come in those sizes.... Ever.

I'm no "fat nazi" by any stretch of the term, but Queen Cellulite there is just taking advantage.

When your gut hangs down so low it doesn't matter whether or not you wore the bikini bottom, then you should not be wearing a bikini.

Deleted
    Can't say I'm a fan of that. Should be encouraged to lose weight instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    Has 4chan taken over the Mirror?

The girls in the photos don't look too bad. In my grand dad's era there were a bunch of guys who preferred heavy girls, I wonder if some guys in this era like fat chicks too but are too afraid to say?
    Look up BBW.

Deleted
    Good for them.

I still find their bodies disgusting though.

Just my honest view, i wouldn't shame them overtly by questioning why they've escaped the ocean, but in my mind i'll be mentally retching.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    After going through the pictures on the link, they were still far and away modestly dressed. I'm really confused how anyone would have a problem with how they are dressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

People should be able to wear what they want, honestly.

And the people fat shaming should be called idiots, as should the people pretending to like "take over" being able to "wear whatever they want" like a social movement should be called idiots. Because that's just stupid.

Just my honest view, i wouldn't shame them overtly by questioning why they've escaped the ocean, but in my mind i'll be mentally retching.
    I never understood your mentality. Its like you purposefully continue to look at something you so obviously dislike just to talk about how you dislike it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of those hashtags are a little...concerning.

#Losehatenotweight makes it seem like it's perfectly fine to be fat. These people are killing themselves and seem to be proud of it. =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    The problem is the contradiction in that. We control people through shame. Or at least, it's one of the most effective methods society uses. We cannot simultaneously say "be who you are there's nothing wrong with that" and "this aspect of who you are is killing you, you have to stop doing that."
    I wouldn't call it a contradiction. Just stating a trade-off. Shaming arguably makes the person feel worse about the situation, enticing her to eat more. She shouldn't feel bad and feel like shit about herself but she should probably exercise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Good for them.

I still find their bodies disgusting though.

Recently, an overweight girl posted a selfie or herself on facebook under the caption "A Real man will love every inch".

I mean...sheesh.

It's good to know that you take some pride in yourself, but don't imply that some guys aren't men because they don't like fat chicks.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of those pictures in that link had "LoseHateNotWeight" in it's caption. Being overweight and chunky is one thing, being morbidly obese is another, and if you are morbidly obese you shouldn't be trying to convince everyone that it's beautiful so that you don't have to feel bad about how out of control your weight has become. It's not healthy to be that large =/
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Deleted
    Big and beautiful?

Beautiful?

Well, I suppose in a world where foot fetishes are a thing, morbidly obese women are probably beautiful to someone.

We shouldn't be accepting of people that have more rolls than a bakery. It is not OK.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has nothing to do with whether or not you like plus-sized girls or if you think it's some kind of epidemic.

That just looks really stupid.

Ones body type should not dictate what you wear to begin with, sure some people will be mad that they see a fat chick in a bikini and while I don't find it particularly attractive they are free to wear what they damn well please without me or anyone else having a say in it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    I never understood your mentality. Its like you purposefully continue to look at something you so obviously dislike just to talk about how you dislike it.
    When these fine ladies put themselves onto a media peddle stool i have no option but to look, i stated my opinion and refuse to change it.

Their body disgusts me, their attitude regarding it furthers my distaste; That's all, they can go ahead and try and garner support for their "Disease" but at its root it's their failing not societies.

But in this case, i opened the thread, thought huh that's disgusting, closed it and then posted my comment looking to move on.