Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

family seeks reversal of brain-death ruling.

Article
    http://news.yahoo.com/girls-family-s...195714462.html

youtube videos of girls response
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh4YC-XjG9k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsSeM0RVKuA

So short story, A teen girl went for a sleep apnea surgery last year ends up "Brain dead" and declared dead by the state of California. The family had hope for her to still be alive and moved her to NJ at Rutgers University Hospital. She is now showing signs of being responsive, twitching her foot and move her hands. Now the family wants the state of California to reverse to decision of her death and declare her alive.

Also from what i understand if she is to make a full recovery she'll be the first person declared brain dead to make a full recovery. I'm no expert on this issue but I find it fascinating and hope that she will recover and live a normal life. But I want to wait and see if this is just a fluke and she'll end up brain dead. Hopefully not.

Deleted
    I doubt she'll make a recovery. As far as I know dead meat can still respond to stimula for some time, so moving her toes is not really a sign of her still being in there.

also: 'The Twitching Dead'
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2014-10-05 at 12:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by sats View Post
    Also from what i understand if she is to make a full recovery she'll be the first person declared brain dead to make a full recovery. I'm no expert on this issue but I find it fascinating and hope that she will recover and live a normal life. But I want to wait and see if this is just a fluke and she'll end up brain dead. Hopefully not.
    movement is just electrical impulses my friend, you don't become un-brain dead. One of two things either they really misdiagnosed her being brain dead. Or these twitches are involuntary and they happen to be recording. I mean they kinda need some sort of valid reason to get a court to overturn her status and need to give people who have been paying for her care a reason to keep sending them money.

It's hard to tell a family there's no chance.

In California they have what doctors call "vent farms" meaning ventilator farms where they house these people. Everyone is on a ventilator where they stick a tube down your throat into your lungs.

I got a piece of paper that says not to use heroic means to save me.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post

In California they have what doctors call "vent farms" meaning ventilator farms where they house these people.
    sounds like a good way to start a zombie apocalypse

10+ Year Old Account
    From what i understand, the body can respond or twitch a few days after death. Of course she hook up to electronically devices , so that could cause the movement. But the fact that she can respond to commands like flick her foot or move her hand tell me something else. The brain isn't dried up or I forgot the doctor term of what they called it. I think waiting to see if she improves or whatnot is the best to see if she isn't brain dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post

In California they have what doctors call "vent farms" meaning ventilator farms where they house these people. Everyone is on a ventilator where they stick a tube down your throat into your lungs.

I got a piece of paper that says not to use heroic means to save me.
    I could not see putting someone I know in a place like that, I know Id rather be dead. From a more practical point, in that position what does the person serve other than to suffer while consuming resources?

I think Ariel Sharon responded similar not long before he died

My father in laws legs twitch and move when he coughs. He is still paralized from the chest down. I saw the video, it didnt look like a movement response on command. You can rerecord a billion times until it all matches up.

Sadly, I think she should be kept on life support because its what the family wants. As much as I disagee with it. But the family needs to come to terms that electrical impulses are just that.

Edit: She died on december 12? Holy crap these people need to pull the plug.
    Last edited by Ayla; 2014-10-05 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sats View Post
    From what i understand, the body can respond or twitch a few days after death. Of course she hook up to electronically devices , so that could cause the movement. But the fact that she can respond to commands like flick her foot or move her hand tell me something else. The brain isn't dried up or I forgot the doctor term of what they called it. I think waiting to see if she improves or whatnot is the best to see if she isn't brain dead.
    Do you mean "husk"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Edit: She died on december 12? Holy crap these people need to pull the plug.
    That is my opinion is why they want the brain dead judgement legally changed so insurance will pay for her to be on life support as long as she can be kept on it. Right now her care is being paid for by donors and I'm sure the well is drying up and they won't be able to pay for it soon. As far as the arm twitching to command when you see the arm twitch every so often and film it asking her to move her hand, it's not a surprise that she still twitches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    sounds like a good way to start a zombie apocalypse
    Lucky for us, there's a lot of brainless people in California, so the zombies will just starve to death.

Brain dead is dead, there's no coming back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Brain dead is dead, there's no coming back.
    Sure there is, a lot of them come to post on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don't think this is just twitching. Doctors have even said that her brain isn't liquifying, like it should be with brain dead people after this long.

Miracle? Maybe....
    That's what I read as well, so who knows. People have been in comas far longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    People have been in comas far longer.
    Being in a coma, and being brain dead are completely different things. Coma your brain is intact and functional. Brain dead means the brain no longer functions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Miracle? Maybe....
    No such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Sure there is, a lot of them come to post on these forums.
    It's good of you to provide an example.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    No such thing.
    Depends on your definition. Things do happen with no modern scientific explanation all the time, they don't always have to have a religious explanation.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

This story shows just how far desperate parents will go. This entire saga has been ghoulish since the beginning.
    Those videos don't seem very convincing that she is responding to stimulus. Parents see her twitching her hands and feet. Parents ask her to move her hands and feet again. After very long pauses, she twitches again.
    Like all the other times this came up over the past year, it's going to end up debunked and the parents will be left soliciting donations to keep a meat bag alive. And people will throw their money at them.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

I guess they could just change the statement from "brain dead" to "pending", but that would technically encompass all of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you keep pumping oxygen into a dead body, I can only assume you'll get an occasional death rattle.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.