New build for WoD

Hi, looking for help picking parts for a new gaming PC. My last PC was built by my brother around 2008 and no longer works. I currently play games on a low-mid range laptop. I get between 10-20 fps on low/medium settings in lfr and 25 man raids and am looking for a significant upgrade to that. This is also going to be my first experience building a PC.

Budget
    • $1000 USD
    Resolution
    • 1440 * 900
    Games / Settings Desired
    • WoW: Ultra in Mythic raids with high fps
    • GW2: Ultra in zerg content (open world/WvWvW) with high fps
    • D3, LoL, CS:GO on High Settings
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    • Video rendering/uploading
    Country
    • Canada
    Parts that can be reused
    • Keyboard: Razer Lycosa
    • Mouse: Razer Naga Hex
    • Monitor: LG Flattron
    Do you need an OS?
    • Yes. Windows 7 or 8.1, no real preference for either.
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
    • Keyboard and Monitor could use an upgrade with leftover budget. But it is low priority.

No idea what i'm doing when it comes to picking parts, but here's some attempt:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hzBP7P

Probably won't be overclocking or buying any graphically intensive games in the future. I mainly play MMO's.

It's 8am and I have not slept all night (I have the flu, so sue!), so I'll only critique what you put together.
    The CPU is an intel one and the motherboard is AMD, they would not match. You would want a Z87 or a Z97 motherboard to match. Are you going to overclock? If not, drop out of the K-models.
    I would go with 2x4 rather than 1x8 for dual channel as far as RAM goes.
    Would go with an MX100 SSD rather than Transcend.
    GPU is more than fine, likely overkill - especially at your current resolution.
    The hard drive is a data centre one. A WD Blue would likely fit your use and budget better.
    PSU, prefer http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-pow...ply-p1550sxxb9
    Otherwise fine. Personally prefer win8.1, it's up to you.

Deleted
    Ye that build doesn't even work, intel cpu with amd mobo
    1k CaD doesn't cut it for proper for video rendering, there is certainly no left overs for anything, is tough as it is. The i5 alone is going to eat up 25% and o/s 10% of your budget.

This is what i would propose for just under 1k cad without o/s. That would be another 100, if you can't afford it you will have to let the ssd go.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.97 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.95 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($86.91 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($116.99 @ Amazon Canada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($219.99 @ DirectCanada)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($53.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $992.55
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-06 02:19 EDT-0400

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Ye that build doesn't even work, intel cpu with amd mobo
    1k CaD doesn't cut it for proper for video rendering, there is certainly no left overs for anything, is tough as it is. The i5 alone is going to eat up 25% and o/s 10% of your budget.

This is what i would propose for just under 1k cad without o/s. That would be another 100, if you can't afford it you will have to let the ssd go.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.97 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.95 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($86.91 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($116.99 @ Amazon Canada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($219.99 @ DirectCanada)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($53.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $992.55
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-06 02:19 EDT-0400
    Thanks, I appreciate the effort into picking parts from Canadian retailers too.

I may be able to try using my old SSD instead of buying a new one.

My main concern was that the parts I picked might be a bit overkill.

Check out NCIX as well to cross compare prices if you haven't already. They're usually pretty fair in pricing.