Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Libyan Parliment Has Fled Capital

According to the Washington Post, "Libya’s parliament moves to small port city as dangers in Tripoli increase"
    In August, Libya’s parliament moved to Tobruk, with members saying they were facing a constant risk of violence in the capital. Dozens of politicians, journalists and activists in Tripoli have been arrested, kidnapped or killed, a trend that has only intensified since a loose alliance of mainly Islamist militias going under the name of Libya Dawn took control of most of the city several weeks ago.
    This is the result of what Obomba (along with many, many other warmongering fools) called a "recipe for success". And now, these same powers are bombing Syria. One definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. (Unless, of course, collapse and chaos was the intended goal all along.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Yeah, it's all Obama's fault the citizens don't immediately have a functioning democracy. We should have invaded and made one for them.

Failure doesn't mean the same thing that it means to other peoples. It means we'll be able to do it better next time.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    One of these days people learn that if you have any interest in having an honest discussion, immediately blaming everything and anything on Obama is not the way to do it. Cause now all you will get is page after page of people bashing each other about Obama until the mods lock it for having an initial post that is too inflammatory to result in constructive discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    One of these days people learn that if you have any interest in having an honest discussion, immediately blaming everything and anything on Obama is not the way to do it. Cause now all you will get is page after page of people bashing each other about Obama until the mods lock it for having an initial post that is too inflammatory to result in constructive discussion.
    I dunno, I'm kind of sick of the whole "everyone is bad, both sides suck so my criticism is valid" technique too.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0RV24M20140930

The important thing is that the Oil fields keep working. Everything else can be spun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    The Senate didn't wan't intervention in Libya.
    The House didn't wan't intervention in Syria.
    What office does that leave that both wanted intervention and had the power to authorize it?

I blame Kerry and McCain too, but neither of them had the authority to purse intervention alone, and neither of them had enough support from their individual parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yeah, it's all Obama's fault the citizens don't immediately have a functioning democracy. We should have invaded and made one for them.
    Or you shouldnt invade at all. It was a peaceful country before US destroyed all.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
    Or you shouldnt invade at all. It was a peaceful country before US destroyed all.
    While invading is never preferable, you didn't need to lie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    I dunno, I'm kind of sick of the whole "everyone is bad, both sides suck so my criticism is valid" technique too.
    Eh, that's just a sign of people who are too lazy to actually learn about the issues and critically analyze how each side acts. It is often true that both sides suck, but it is almost never true that both sides suck equally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slaskra View Post
    The Senate didn't wan't intervention in Libya.
    The House didn't wan't intervention in Syria.
    What office does that leave that both wanted intervention and had the power to authorize it?
    I suppose part of my post was my general fatigue with this idea that anything going wrong in the world is either a) the fault of the US or b) the responsibility of the US.

Especially given the recent fearmongering about Ebola and some trying to link that to being Obama's fault. It makes me a bit twitchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
    It was only "peaceful" because he brutally crushed any opposition.

10+ Year Old Account
    We need to stop meddling in the Middle East and let it sort itself out.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deflecting blame from a failed intervention in another country? Sounds like we are back in the good ol' days of W bush!

You can try to cover for him all you want, Obama has made a lot of countries in the world a worse place to live. And thats coming from someone that voted for him, which I pretty much regret. Should have just not voted so my hands were clean :P
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    We need to stop meddling in the Middle East and let it sort itself out.
    Meddling or not there have not been peace in the middle east for hundreds of years, maby a small one in the 1860's or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    According to the Washington Post, "Libya’s parliament moves to small port city as dangers in Tripoli increase"

This is the result of what Obomba (along with many, many other warmongering fools) called a "recipe for success". And now, these same powers are bombing Syria. One definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. (Unless, of course, collapse and chaos was the intended goal all along.)
    I doubt it would have been any different with Mitt Bombney in office.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I doubt it would have been any different with Mitt Bombney in office.
    Military policy is one of the few places where "both sides are equal" comes into play as a valid talking point. I think the only real difference is that if the GOP were in power we'd have land forces (aka--"boots on the ground") in many of these countries and do less air support/drone type attacks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It was only "peaceful" because he brutally crushed any opposition.
    That's quite subjective. In my opinion, so do many western (so-called democratic states), but I'm sure you wouldn't agree if I said these countries should be bombed. What you're doing is denying the Lybian people any agency.

Oh look, yet another world event that went 100% down the route I predicted it would prior to our meddling.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sertii View Post
    That's quite subjective. In my opinion, so do many western (so-called democratic states), but I'm sure you wouldn't agree if I said these countries should be bombed. What you're doing is denying the Lybian people any agency.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_Gaddafi#Legacy

Tell me, do western nations imprison and murder political dissidents?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sertii View Post
    It's not really subjective, as know Gaddafi brutally crushed opposition. I personally didn't think we should have helped oust him, as Libya was (slowly) heading in the right direction.