Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaker View Post
    Poe gets this right i believe.
    Meh...it's essentially just a classless system that puts you within certain limits for playstyles. It looks impressive, but coupled with the fact that many of the choices are %increases to stats it's not really that different from talent trees. Don't get me wrong, it really works for that game and I loved it...but it's not really as revolutionary as people think. It's also not an MMO that needs to be balanced in very specific ways.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    As long as integral things are being mostly untouched I am down with this, I enjoyed a lot of my characters because I had such options, I am not much in to pvp and I know one of the things they are trying to combat is how strong some of the hybrid pvp specs were. Sounds like I can live with this system, the old one was okay but plenty of levels of "gain 1% crit" while nice was not very fun playstyle wise.
    The other nice thing is that you get integral abilities earlier. For example, Lightning Sorc gets Thundering Blast at level 10 instead of having to wait until level 45.

What I had loved for this system to have been would've been for a system that allowed more playstyle options.
    A system that didn't just give you bonuses in form of utility, bonuses clearly tailored either towards PvP or PvE in forms of damage reduction, CC or mobility CDs/passives.
    Don't get me wrong, I think that is fucking great. Being able to choose PvP or PvE bonuses can make every spec viable in both aspects.

BUT

This system.. Why not allow for more playstyle oriented passives into options within the Disciplines aswell? Like Lightning Barrage or Wrath, if we hold onto the sorc example.
    Sacrificing something for something else shouldn't make or break a spec but should be a personal preference thing.

Yes. I know. This system has nothing to do with player choice. It is being implemented completely because of one thing.

Balance. It will be easier to balance the specs.

And we can't have balance if players have a choice of how they play. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I don't really care what hybrids complain, because you are either gimping yourself, gimping the people you play with, or your combination of abilities was something they didn't plan for and is too strong. In all those situations, it ruins other people's enjoyment in a role based design. That's pretty much end of story. Hybrids/utility specs have no place in limited role MMOs unless they are specifically designed for it. Something like support in Rift.

It's one of those 'facts of MMO life' that people need to just deal with. This isn't 2004 anymore.
    Well in some ways I would agree, but I mean at various points of SW The Lightning/Madness combo was one of the strongest specs you could get. It went deep enough in madness to get Wrath (which I see has been nerfed since I last played) and wouldn't have enough points to get Thundering Blast. I am going to assume with various nerfs and changes to specs that the hybrid sorc spec is likely not that strong anymore. So while it may have been true on some specs that hybrid was the go to choice, it seems like they want to get people playing more viable specs, which is fine for most.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    The other nice thing is that you get integral abilities earlier. For example, Lightning Sorc gets Thundering Blast at level 10 instead of having to wait until level 45.

This is a big thing for people starting out. It absolutely sucks at low levels until 20-30 when you actually feel like the role you specced as, whereas before there was no real difference between a level 15 healer and a level 15 dps.

You get tree defining abilities much earlier, hybrids prevented this.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by zeekphreak View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm reading it wrong. But the system to me sounds more like Rift than WoW.

For those that don't know, as you work your way through the talents in Rift, you open abilities and bonuses, additionally the more points you put into a tree the more of it's "roots" you unlock. The change being here the "root abilities" you can personalize to your suiting.
    But here, it doesn't sound like Rift at all. It sounds like, you pick a spec, and as you level, you get given something from that spec, with a point every now and then to spend in a utility ability. In Rift, you still have talent trees, you can still take(or omit) abilities in those trees as you see fit, you can still play a hybrid spec if you for some reason want to...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    But here, it doesn't sound like Rift at all. It sounds like, you pick a spec, and as you level, you get given something from that spec, with a point every now and then to spend in a utility ability. In Rift, you still have talent trees, you can still take(or omit) abilities in those trees as you see fit, you can still play a hybrid spec if you for some reason want to...
    Thats true but I think he was talking more about the "Root" type abilities you can get.

It's more along the lines of what he said. It's mix of wow and Rift though I'm not sold on it yet.

I play a sage as my main so I was looking at dulfy's guild and converting things to sage skills making sure I understand it all.

I do like that you get to be a healer or tank early and actually feel like that is what you are right away.

I like skill trees and like wow, I was not fond of that change from it. I loved rifts system. Maybe BW will get it right. It seems play style will be very similar baring a few options you get to choose from. I think the real meat of SWTOR system could come from more interesting skills you get to choose from. They got to up that current pool.

If they screw it up, There are always F2P.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    They get it at 26, not 10. 10 is Chain Lightning, but yes still earlier than now.

I also like the fact they are doing the "Spec specific" upgrades to core skills.

Like Lightning strike turns into Lightning Bolt at higher levels, which mechanically is the same skill just stronger.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!