best profession for shammys in WOD?

Hello everyone,

i know the dps boost is not there anymore...but im rerolling shaman for wod and i dont have any profession on that toon yet.Just curois which professions you guys think i should level.

thx for your ideas in advance

engineer always

Quote Originally Posted by erzahd View Post
    engineer always
    Engineering Sucks.

First off, Rocket boots (belt) now share a CD with potion.

Secondly, the only craftable item that Shaman can use, are those goggles, which are baseline Ilvl640 (Can be upgraded to something like 665 but takes some time) but during the WoW anniversary you receive an Ilvl640 Helmet from Ragnaros.

You can craft any craftable item thanks to the Garrison but without the profession itself it takes an a huge amount of time to get it.

As overiew:
    Leather: Armor
    Blacksmith: Shield+Weapon
    Jewelcrafting: Necklace / Ring

You can only have 3 crafted items in WoD, any crafted item (Not sure about DMF trinkets which count into 3 item limit) can be upgraded which takes a decent amount of mats and some epic stuff only gathered by a level 3 Barn.

So Leatherworking seems like a safe bet because you cover a lot of item slot(s), BS & Inscription are left in the air regarding weapons.

crafted items you use for 1 - max. 2 weeks then its useless (just dmf is pretty good)

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    First off, Rocket boots (belt) now share a CD with potion.
    Are you freaking serious?? Rocket Boots are a fundamental component to my raid mobility. Cripes. Is the Glider rendered unusable when falling now too?

Secondly, the only craftable item that Shaman can use, are those goggles, which are baseline Ilvl640 (Can be upgraded to something like 665 but takes some time) but during the WoW anniversary you receive an Ilvl640 Helmet from Ragnaros.
    Well, that's if you want to endure a 40man LFR. Personally, I'd rather drink bleach.

As overiew:
    Leather: Armor
    Blacksmith: Shield+Weapon
    Jewelcrafting: Necklace / Ring
    I'm still debating dropping JC, I quite honestly don't see how it will be valuable in WoD.
    Given my luck with weapon and shield drops, BS may make sense, though I expect those pieces to be horribly itemised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by erzahd View Post
    crafted items you use for 1 - max. 2 weeks then its useless (just dmf is pretty good)
    Funny thing is, DMF is not that good, at least for people who want to raid mythic.

The gap between the Ilvl of DMF Trinkets and Mythic Trinkets is bigger than in MoP, secondly, with a greater variety on trinkets available (MoP just had 2 per spec; WoD has ~3-4), also that Inscription can create not just DMF trinkets, i'd say that the DMF trinkets will not be as big as in previous expansions, unless they seriously overtune their procs.

Also, you plan to be full 665 within 1-2 weeks? Good luck on that one, sure you might be able to replace your crafted gear pretty fast, but that depends on your luck and your raid progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    Given my luck with weapon and shield drops, BS may make sense, though I expect those pieces to be horribly itemised.
    Secondary Stats are randomnly generated on any crafted item but can be rerolled with other craftable items.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2014-10-06 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Secondary Stats are randomnly generated on any crafted item but can be rerolled with other craftable items.
    Yes, sorry, I meant low stats for the item level vs raid stats.
    As for the DMFC trinkets, traditionally they perform at higher levels than their ilvl would suggest, allowing them to be equipped for longer. No idea what WoD's DMFCs will be like though.
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Okey dokey!"

DMF Trinkets, even with all of Kralljin's considerations are still probably the most important crafted items. Trinket slots make up a significant proportion of performance. However, there's still a significant RNG issue with getting the trinkets. For a casual player with no intention to do anything besides LFR and Flex-Normal, then Inscription and Leatherworking are likely your best bets.

For a raider, the crafted items take too long to be worthwhile. One 665 leatherworking item takes 450 Burnished leather + 10/reroll. At 14 a day from leatherworking + 20 from your garrison, you're still looking at almost 2 weeks per item. That's assuming you can get your garrison to level 3 that fast. Even after 2 weeks, the items are still lower level than flex-heroic level (670/680). So 6-weeks worth of cooldowns to get three level 665 items RNG-rolled items. If you are in a raiding guild, you're likely getting into Highmaul flex-heroic by week 3 at the latest, and you can still run flex-normal each week as well to get fillers.

Finally, it's worth noting that only alchemists can make the upgraded flasks. Each guild will also need one jewelcrafters/enchanters to take care of those needs. If the guild has those three covered, then just get gathering professions (or inscription) to make money and supply the guild.

So, when Blizzard decided to change how professions worked, they had two choices - make them more fun and interesting, or make them a boring slog. They chose the latter.
    Professions have never been WoW's selling point, but making them more grindy and with little reward is a decision I do not at all understand.
    The DMF trinkets are Inscription, yes?

"Okey dokey!"

ok i made my decision i took enchanting for 1st prof, need to decide my 2nd now

I recently gave up JC for alchemy mainly because I remember enjoying it back in the day, BC, and I also have enchanting. I gave up JC just for the sheer fact that I rarely used it other then to craft JC specific gems. Rarely did I ever craft anything unless I needed it and, at least on Illidan, gems are so cheap making gold is difficult unless you're selling primordial diamonds.

JC I feel will be incredibly lack luster the fact that gem slots will be random on gear, at least how I understand it will work.

Deleted
    I'm not sure its worth picking a profession for raiding advantages anymore so I'm going with fun. Leather-working seems very Shamanic plus the mount looks very much like our new wolf form Also the tents seem interesting.

If it turns out its not worth having a gathering profession I'll probably also go with alchemy for convenience.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
    I'm not sure its worth picking a profession for raiding advantages anymore so I'm going with fun. Leather-working seems very Shamanic plus the mount looks very much like our new wolf form Also the tents seem interesting.

If it turns out its not worth having a gathering profession I'll probably also go with alchemy for convenience.
    the tents are from the garrison building, you don't need to have any mats to get them, nor leatherworking, they're free
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll likely go Inscription on my main and spam Darkmoon cards and/or trinkets to frontload a large portion of my expansion profits within the first couple of months. I don't know if I should bother with Herbalism for my second profession though as I'm not sure how the Herbalism plot works with and without it.

I have a boost ready to go and I've been putting off profession and garrison plot decisions for some time.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowd View Post
    Hello everyone,

i know the dps boost is not there anymore...but im rerolling shaman for wod and i dont have any profession on that toon yet.Just curois which professions you guys think i should level.

thx for your ideas in advance
    I'll tell you what not to roll. That would be easier. Tailoring and Engineering. Everything else is just fine for a Shammy. None better than the other.