Thread: [TV] The Flash!

10+ Year Old Account
    if it really was a gold gun that turned things gold, why rob a place. just turn things gold and call Cash4Gold
    Hi

What im liking about the show is the random cameos of people from other shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    if it really was a gold gun that turned things gold, why rob a place. just turn things gold and call Cash4Gold
    He mentioned he did it for the adrenaline rush.

Many comic book fans consider Barry Allen and Iris West to be the 'one true pairing', and that they are destined to be together. What a lot of fans seem to forget is that Iris West was also killed by the Reverse Flash at one point, using the same vibrating hand trick that we've seen Wells use to kill Cisco and Mason Bridge, except in the comics she died via a hand to the head instead of the chest.

So, what are the odds that Iris West won't actually survive very long once she ultimately discovers Barry's secret?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    So, what are the odds that Iris West won't actually survive very long once she ultimately discovers Barry's secret?
    Pretty damn high. I can't see CW taking out Iris like that... If they did Barry would go back and rescue her within maybe 3 episodes.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I would be okay with that, actually; Iris has consistently been the weak point of the series, much like Laurel has been in Arrow. I don't care how important either character is supposed to be in the comics, I just want them to actually not drag their respective shows down. If they can't abide by that...let the characters die and use it for drama.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osoroshii View Post
    I would be okay with that, actually; Iris has consistently been the weak point of the series, much like Laurel has been in Arrow. I don't care how important either character is supposed to be in the comics, I just want them to actually not drag their respective shows down. If they can't abide by that...let the characters die and use it for drama.
    It's kind of interesting, looking back at the difference between these shows and Agents of SHIELD. AoS season 1 early on, everyone felt that Skye and Ward were the weak points, but it turned out that Marvel had "plans", and things got interesting for everyone. And in Ward's case, the blandness was brilliantly deliberate. If anything, AoS keeps killing characters (like Lawless' Agent Hartley, or Trip) that people really wanted to see more of.

Meanwhile, Flash and Arrow both seem to have started out with female characters whose role was "the love interest". And that isn't a character. While they've tried to flesh them out a bit (and admittedly, I haven't watched this season of Arrow, so haven't been following Laurel's development), they flesh them out as "normal people" in a world of superheroics, so they come off as bland, just by comparison. I assume they've been trying to fix that with Laurel becoming Black Canary, but it was definitely an issue before that switch. And it's even more tokenistic with Iris. She's less a character who's relevant to Barry's new life, than she is a token to be "won" to demonstrate that he "deserves" her. Which is just a terrible, terrible romance arc.

Same applies to a lot of DC superheroes; Superman and Lois Lane being a practically cliche example at this point. Which is why Supes hooking up with Diana (Wonder Woman) is a lot more "fun"; she's a fully-fledged character unto herself who matters in that universe, as someone other than "Superman's girlfriend". If Barry wasn't still crushing on Iris, she'd be completely irrelevant to the Flash TV show. Which means they would've been better off just not pursuing that angle, at all.

If I were the head writer, I'd have set it up that Iris ended up metahuman, too. Maybe nothing hugely impressive, but something that gave Barry and her a reason to get together, other than "I grew up with you and can't move on".

Alternatively, keep her around just long enough for her to finally start dating Barry. Then have Reverse Flash kill her, irrevocably. And if Barry tries to go back to save her, have it happen again, later. And again. And again. Make it be a character development piece for Barry.

10+ Year Old Account
    So two of the three unknown characters that are going to be in the upcoming spinoff super team series are no longer unknown and one of them will be played by Arthur Darvill, best known for playing Rory on Doctor who. Darvill will be Rip Hunter (so, sadly, that means no Booster Gold most likely) while the other, played by relative newcomer Ciara Renée, is Hawkgirl. http://deadline.com/2015/03/arrow-fl...cw-1201401541/

Another superhero is joining the ranks of the CW’s Arrow/Flash spinoff. British actor Arthur Darvill (Doctor Who) is set to play Rip Hunter in the superhero team-up show, from Arrow creators Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg & Marc Guggenheim. Rip Hunter, described as a roguish time traveler who hides the strains of being responsible for history itself behind a facade of charm and wit, is the first of 3 DC characters that previously have not been exploited in TV, to join the new project.

So that just leaves one more character still to be named. Lets start taking bets or tossing out wishful thinking. I still want The Question myself.

Just spitballing here, but I'm wondering if they went with Rip Hunter so that they could be more "serious" than they could with a Booster Gold character. At the same time, casting Darvill makes me think he'll be less "serious" than some of the comic versions. So maybe it's supposed to be an amalgamation of Rip and Booster, but they went with the Rip name because Booster has more baggage in terms of "well-known" characterization.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    AWESOME! Arthur Darvil is a fantastic actor (check him out in Broadchurch... For that matter, check out Broadchurch!) can't wait to see what he gets up to in Arrowverse.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If I were the head writer, I'd have set it up that Iris ended up metahuman, too. Maybe nothing hugely impressive, but something that gave Barry and her a reason to get together, other than "I grew up with you and can't move on".

Alternatively, keep her around just long enough for her to finally start dating Barry. Then have Reverse Flash kill her, irrevocably. And if Barry tries to go back to save her, have it happen again, later. And again. And again. Make it be a character development piece for Barry.
    Maybe it can be like in the comic and she ends up being from the 30th Century or something. That'd at least give her a more interesting backstory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    So two of the three unknown characters that are going to be in the upcoming spinoff super team series are no longer unknown and one of them will be played by Arthur Darvill, best known for playing Rory on Doctor who. Darvill will be Rip Hunter (so, sadly, that means no Booster Gold most likely) while the other, played by relative newcomer Ciara Renée, is Hawkgirl. http://deadline.com/2015/03/arrow-fl...cw-1201401541/
    So, Arthur Darvill got upgraded from time travelling companion to outright time traveller? Awesome!

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it can be like in the comic and she ends up being from the 30th Century or something. That'd at least give her a more interesting backstory.
    It needs to be something. Right now, she's just a token that's being dangled in front of Barry, as something he can hopefully "win" at some point. His foster dad at least plays a role in providing a connection into the police force, a vector to keep Barry grounded, and a moral compass; those are valid story-based reasons for him to exist. Iris? Is pointless, outside of the unrequited love interest. Her blogging/journalism could be done by literally any other character, and with better impact since they wouldn't have any emotional connection to Barry; Iris almost certainly won't "out" Barry if she learns who he is, but Random Reporter #3 almost certainly would, which is an interesting conflict to deal with.

So they're simultaneously making his love interest boring (she's pretty, and he knows her, and that's . . . it, really), giving her no reason to exist in terms of his character development (because it isn't the Iris West show, it's The Flash), and negating an interesting story arc (how does Barry, a good guy, deal with a reporter who's about to reveal his identity to the world?).

Unless they make Iris metahuman, or kill her, she's not contributing to the show, IMO. It doesn't even have to be a big thing. Maybe low-grade telekinesis, or something, so that at least Barry has someone to talk to about being "different". But it has to be something. Because right now, she's a nice girl, but that doesn't do anything for me.

10+ Year Old Account

Unless they make Iris metahuman, or kill her, she's not contributing to the show, IMO. It doesn't even have to be a big thing. Maybe low-grade telekinesis, or something, so that at least Barry has someone to talk to about being "different". But it has to be something. Because right now, she's a nice girl, but that doesn't do anything for me.
    And even for that, I would rather Barry meet some other metahuman that he doesn't know and they bond over being different than to just have Iris, someone he has known his entire life, just happen to also become a metahuman. Maybe a none evil metahuman for once who is also trying to use their new found abilities for good. There is Firestorm, but he is already is connected to Caitlin. I guess that is more of a season 2+ kind of thing though.

But yes, right now Iris brings nothing to the series outside of being an obstacle in the way of Barry ever meeting any other love interest. It will always just be "she is great, but she isn't Iris" kind of thing and that is just both boring and rather annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    HUGE SPOILERS IN THAT LINK, DO NOT CLICK THE PICTURE UNLESS YOU WANT HUGE SPOILERS

https://40.media.tumblr.com/d81c7e58...mr9o1_1280.jpg

So, Oliver in in League of Assassins get up, Flash and Firestorm against an unmasked Wells. Holy fucking shit batman. This could be a potential different timeline created from time travel, but I hope not.

I'm so hyped right now.
    Oh my freaking balllllllllllllllllsss thats amazing! I would like this to be a thing!
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post

So that just leaves one more character still to be named. Lets start taking bets or tossing out wishful thinking. I still want The Question myself.
    I am concerned that Arthur Darvill is being typecast as a badass time traveler :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    I am concerned that Arthur Darvill is being typecast as a badass time traveler :P
    I had no idea who Rip Hunter was, so I had to wikipedia it. Then I see he has a time-sphere and my first thought was 'from time companion to master of time'.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Just spitballing here, but I'm wondering if they went with Rip Hunter so that they could be more "serious" than they could with a Booster Gold character. At the same time, casting Darvill makes me think he'll be less "serious" than some of the comic versions. So maybe it's supposed to be an amalgamation of Rip and Booster, but they went with the Rip name because Booster has more baggage in terms of "well-known" characterization.
    from the descriptions before the character was revealed they said he would be a wise cracking han solo type character with a secret who had traveled back in time.

so im guessing he wont be too serious
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

so who the fuck was that?

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    so who the fuck was that?
    Oh snap.. I knew it! Dr Wells is The Flash~!

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    Oh snap.. I knew it! Dr Wells is The Flash~!
    I didn't even realize that's what that meant, or does it?
    Last edited by grandpab; 2015-04-01 at 12:26 AM.