Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Weird, most professions don't need endless pandering to keep their practitioners from being abusive pricks. I've never heard a scientist say, "want me to cure a disease? Try thanking me". Most people do their jobs without needing to be publicly fellated for it.
    Have you ever seen anyone wearing a "Fuck da scientists" shirt? Has a scientist ever had to try and cure a disease while people stand around and scream at them for oppressing bacteria?

Scientists who cure diseases are normally rewarded with patents and/or huge salaries from their employers as thanks. A cop who gets paid $45k a year to put up with their employers' bullshit only gets whatever gratitude his employers, the people of the jurisdiction in which they serve, give them.
    Last edited by Ecwfrk; 2014-10-09 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecwfrk View Post
    Have you ever seen anyone wearing a "Fuck da scientists" shirt? Has a scientist ever had to try and cure a disease while people stand around and scream at them for oppressing bacteria?
    Pretty sure a scientist doesn't have a fair chance of being shot every day on their job either.

Again, as mention on the previous page scientists are targeted by terrorist shitheads (one example story). I have yet to see one respond by desiring a brutal crackdown.
    And those scientists who cure diseases are rewarded with patents and/or huge salaries as thanks. A cop who gets paid $45k a year to put up with peoples' bullshit deserves thanks.
    The majority of scientists toil in anonymity, working more hours than police for less money than that. Either everyone deserves thanks for doing their job or no one does. I'm going to lean towards no one - people pick things they want to do and are compensated for it. If they also need thanks to boost their fragile self esteem, they should choose better careers.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Classy.

I kind of wonder what goes through a mind when they decide to have sex in the back of a police car when arrested.
    Probably a lot of alcohol affected thoughts, with a touch of drugs too perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    Pretty sure a scientist doesn't have a fair chance of being shot every day on their job either.
    Nor do police. The danger of the job is greatly exaggerated, it doesn't crack the top ten (source). Want to thank someone who does a dangerous, tough, important job on an everyday basis? Find a garbage man.

Scientists who cure diseases are normally rewarded with patents and/or huge salaries from their employers as thanks. A cop who gets paid $45k a year to put up with their employers' bullshit only gets whatever gratitude his employers, the people of the jurisdiction in which they serve, give them.
    It won't be long in our current fucked up world before bacteria and viruses deserve rights too.

Nor do police. The danger of the job is greatly exaggerated, it doesn't crack the top ten (source). Want to thank someone who does a dangerous, tough, important job on an everyday basis? Find a garbage man.
    Most deadly job does not equate to being shot. All top 10 on that list come from poor safety use and 0 guns. They are in a position that has a high risk of being physically injured by another human being, this is fact.

The danger of the job is underappreciated if anything, police fatality rates vary so drastically that getting a true average is near impossible 2014 in some states may have 1-2 police deaths per 100,000 2011 has 41 deaths per 100,000 in some states. The jobs on that list are generally very generic and the dangers they face are something they can prepare for. A police officer can't prepare for all the things he will face.

Quote Originally Posted by Durantye View Post
    The danger of the job is underappreciated if anything, police fatality rates vary so drastically that getting a true average is near impossible 2014 in some states may have 1-2 police deaths per 100,000 2011 has 41 deaths per 100,000 in some states. The jobs on that list are generally very generic and the dangers they face are something they can prepare for. A police officer can't prepare for all the things he will face.
    Now to be clear, I'm not saying those jobs aren't shitty and dangerous, I do think those guys need a LOT more thanks and pay than they get. Society would be shot without them, BUT they do still have to deal with a lot more scummy and shitbag people than most other professions, besides maybe fast food workers. They're not shot at as often though... Close, but not as often.

Most deadly job does not equate to being shot. All top 10 on that list come from poor safety use and 0 guns. They are in a position that has a high risk of being physically injured by another human being, this is fact.
    Somehow, I think it's cold comfort to a farmer mangled by a combine or a roofer with a broken neck that at least he wasn't shot.

Police work is certainly somewhat dangerous, but nothing particularly unique in that regard. Among moderate-skill, blue collar jobs it's perhaps somewhat more risky than normal, but not unusual at all.

Somehow, I think it's cold comfort to a farmer mangled by a combine or a roofer with a broken neck that at least he wasn't shot.

Police work is certainly somewhat dangerous, but nothing particularly unique in that regard. Among moderate-skill, blue collar jobs it's perhaps somewhat more risky than normal, but not unusual at all.
    As you apparently glossed over the part where I agreed with your point that those jobs are more dangerous, this topic is about stuff cops have to put up with. They have to put up with people hating them and a fair number wanting them dead, while willingly going after people willing to take another life, to protect others that would sooner piss on them than thank them. Are there more fatalities than those other jobs? No. Does it suck? Yes.

Again, as mention on the previous page scientists are targeted by terrorist shitheads (one example story). I have yet to see one respond by desiring a brutal crackdown.
    That's the best example you could come up with? Scientists were harassed?

Try this:

The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund (NLEOMF) reports that a total of 1,501 law-enforcement officers died in the line of duty during the past ten years, an average of one death every 58 hours, or 150 per year.
    Over the past decade, there have been an average of 58,261 assaults against law enforcement each year, resulting in 15,658 injuries.
    New York City has lost more officers in the line of duty than any other department, with 697 deaths. Texas has lost 1,675 officers, more than any other state.

Just this week, NLEOMF released preliminary fatality statistics from August 2013 to August 2014. Total fatalities are up 14 percent, from 63 last year to 72 this year. “Five officers were killed in ambushes, which continue to be a major threat to law enforcement safety,” the group notes.

Of the 780,000 cops in the US, well over half (statistically) have been physically assaulted and 0.2% have been killed on the job. 3 scientists being harassed is hardly comparable.

If they also need thanks to boost their fragile self esteem, they should choose better careers.
    They did. And you're whining about it.
    Without gratitude and respect of the community, all a job on the police force offers that can't be found in another career with better pay and far less risk of death, is the ability to more or less legally exercise their sadistic side as it suits them. Without offering either respect and gratitude or the ability to be a legal sadist, the only way to staff police forces would be to either seriously jack up tax rates to pay cops wages commensurate with the risks and stresses involved or park patrol cars outside Home Depot every morning.

If you prefer a face full of pepper spray and a night stick to the temple to showing a little respect and gratitude to people wearing a badge, it's your choice. Just stop complaining about having to face the consequences of that choice.
    Last edited by Ecwfrk; 2014-10-09 at 03:26 AM.

Without gratitude and respect of the community, all a job on the police force offers that can't be found in another career with better pay and far less risk of death, is the ability to more or less legally exercise their sadistic side as it suits them. Without offering either respect and gratitude or the ability to be a legal sadist, the only way to staff police forces would be to either seriously jack up tax rates to pay cops wages commensurate with the risks and stresses involved or park patrol cars outside Home Depot every morning.

If you prefer a face full of pepper spray and a night stick to the temple to showing a little respect and gratitude to people wearing a badge, it's your choice. Just stop complaining about having to face the consequences of that choice.
    This looks an awful lot like Stockholm Syndrome. There's no reasonable defense for the options being kiss the boots or get the club.

This looks an awful lot like Stockholm Syndrome. There's no reasonable defense for the options being kiss the boots or get the club.
    Or.. y'know, be a normal human being. It's not 'kissing their boots' to help them do their job and get them out of your home as quickly as possible by just giving them the information they need, and understanding WHY it's happening. That's like saying not spitting in the face of a face food employee and throwing shit is 'normal', and saying please and thank you is kissing their boots.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Oh it's a good thing I got crushed by a girder instead of shot by a human, what a fucking tragedy THAT would have been."
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Or.. y'know, be a normal human being. It's not 'kissing their boots' to help them do their job and get them out of your home as quickly as possible by just giving them the information they need, and understanding WHY it's happening. That's like saying not spitting in the face of a face food employee and throwing shit is 'normal', and saying please and thank you is kissing their boots.
    Being a normal human being is thanking them when they do something for you. If I walk up to an officer and ask how to get somewhere, I'm pretty much going to say, "thanks, have a good one!". Randomly thanking people for having a job is just weird. No one forced them to take the position - police officers take the job because it's what they consider to be their best individual option, just like everyone else.

It's really odd that there's an expectation that LEOs should be afforded some level of respect that isn't given to other moderate-skill positions. I can't see any particular reason why I should be more thankful to a police officer than a bus driver or garbage man. I've also never been harassed by a bus driver or garbage man, so there's an advantage to them on that front.

Right back atcha. There's no reasonable defense for the options take the club or get your boots.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    can say that again Ruxin.
    Yeah I can't top that, I think I am getting out of here.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    "Oh it's a good thing I got crushed by a girder instead of shot by a human, what a fucking tragedy THAT would have been."
    Getting crushed by a girder is something you can fairly easily avoid with proper safety procedures and environmental awareness as girders are not consciously trying to harm you. Most workplace deaths, even in high risk jobs like construction, fishing and logging are due to negligence, not malice. Personally, I'd prefer the girder.

7+ Year Old Account
    The majority of scientists toil in anonymity, working more hours than police for less money than that.
    Not true. Average police officer salary is around $47k. Average research scientist is 74k. Hours actually average out once you account for work force distribution.

Interesting how those other jobs don't require you actually be able to defend/protect yourself. Work-related death numbers are irrelevant when the point is the risk that's involved. A "trash guy" has literally no inherent risk. And if someone were to come at him with gun, he's just fucked. Also, in many parts of the country, trash men make the same or slightly more than police officers.

Apples.

Oranges.