Should domestic violence unanimously affect other aspects of one's life, employment?

So recently many organizations have been criticized for not responding to domestic violence charges against their employees, particularly in sports with Ray Rice, Hope Solo, and Adrian Peterson. Now, that makes a bit more sense given the publicity inherent in being a pro-sports player. Everyone's looking so it's expected to make an example of that behavior, but what about in other fields?

I bring this up as I read this article regarding a Twitter Engineer accused of raping her wife. It's rather long-winded, but it got me to thinking on how much one's personal life should be separated from work, or are they one and the same with consequences in one being forced on the other?

For example, if you were a business owner and your prize salesman was charged with domestic violence, would you fire him or would you believe that it was none of your business and part of his own personal life?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-her-wife.html

15+ Year Old Account
    how about wait if he´s actually convicted?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why shouldn't they? If I get charged with a DUI I lose my engineer's license and cannot operate a locomotive until I have my driver's license back and I commit to a three month retraining program. Why shouldn't someone who has been charged with violence towards another human being be allowed to work around them until they seek professional help?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    *she!

Which makes this even more weird...I can't even formulate a response because I'm getting mired up in this lesbian domestic violence angle.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

People jump too quickly onto what the media tells them. Until there is a conviction names should remain private, as many lives have been destroyed because they've been publicly accused of something, only to be found innocent later, but they've already had their name tarnished.

But I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at here though. Someone who is abusive or breaks the law is likely to face jail time and many companies will terminate their contract if that occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    Why shouldn't they? If I get charged with a DUI I lose my engineer's license and cannot operate a locomotive until I have my driver's license back and I commit to a three month retraining program. Why shouldn't someone who has been charged with violence towards another human being be allowed to work around them until they seek professional help?
    That makes sense, as it directly affects your ability to do your work. In that case then do you think there should be a standard law regarding this? At the moment it seems like the issue is entirely controlled by the media.

Deleted
    I have had fire someone in the past for a domestic crime, simply because as a company (it is government controlled but whatever) you can't be seen to support such behaviour and in the end it is cold business to get rid of bad representation. Though in my case it also had some legal issues with being a manager of public space and said crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think, in general, companies should hire the best people for the job. If someone is found guilty of a crime in a way that no longer makes them the best person for the job than companies have every right to fire them.

However that's not a one-size-fits all answer. Not all crimes are equal and not all jobs are equal when it comes to personal life events affecting work performance.

It wasn't too long ago that everyone lived in small villages where everyone knew everyone else's business. You had a name and reputation and everything you did or said was on the record. Anonymity is not man's natural state.

If you beat your wife people would judge you. The village vicar might even stop by to talk to you about it.

But losing a job probably won't help a domestic situation.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    That makes sense, as it directly affects your ability to do your work. In that case then do you think there should be a standard law regarding this? At the moment it seems like the issue is entirely controlled by the media.
    I don't know about standard law as I'm not a big fan of those Zero Tolerance Policies. That being said in the cases of Rice and Peterson...If it's illegal to hit a 300 lbs linesmen in full pads with a stick or to knock them out. It is still illegal to do the same to your wife and/or kid.

I believe an employer pays an employee to complete a task. So long as they get the job done, I don't fault the employer for keeping an employee on his/her payroll, regardless of outside behavior.

That said, I also think an employer should be able to fire an employee for any reason (just as an employee should be able to quit for any reason).

Companies generally want to maintain a good public image to keep their business, which is why they start cutting ties with employees who are at the center of an abuse story gone public. For the same reason, they generally can't or won't wait for a conviction because regardless of if he's innocent or not, the media will inevitably paint him as a criminal and taint the minds of the public against him. Keeping an employee around who has that kind of reputation will hurt their business and in the end, profit is all most companies really care about instead of people or the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    *she!

Which makes this even more weird...I can't even formulate a response because I'm getting mired up in this lesbian domestic violence angle.
    Rape of females by females:
    Female-on-female rape is often labeled "lesbian rape", though the sexual orientation of the persons involved may not actually be lesbian. Assault by forcible stimulation of external sexual female genitalia or forced penetration by another woman is possible with the use of strap-ons, other dildos, other foreign objects such as the use of the tongue (inserted or external) in forced oral sex, or forced digital manipulation, and non-consensual tribadism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_by_gender

Edit: I had to look up tribadism for those who also didn't know: Tribadism (/ˈtrɪbədɪzəm/ trib-ə-diz-əm)[1] or tribbing, commonly known by its scissoring position, is a form of non-penetrative sex in which a woman rubs her vulva against her partner's body for sexual stimulation, especially for ample stimulation of the clitoris. This may involve female-to-female genital contact or a female rubbing her vulva against her partner's thigh, stomach, buttocks, arm, or other body part (excluding the mouth). A variety of sex positions are practiced, including the missionary position. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribadism
    Last edited by lockedout; 2014-10-08 at 10:03 PM.

I don't get it. How does the butch lesbian get off?

Anybody have a video I could watch?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Rape of females by females:
    Female-on-female rape is often labeled "lesbian rape", though the sexual orientation of the persons involved may not actually be lesbian. Assault by forcible stimulation of external sexual female genitalia or forced penetration by another woman is possible with the use of strap-ons, other dildos, other foreign objects such as the use of the tongue (inserted or external) in forced oral sex, or forced digital manipulation, and non-consensual tribadism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_by_gender

Edit: I had to look up tribadism for those who also didn't know: Tribadism (/ˈtrɪbədɪzəm/ trib-ə-diz-əm)[1] or tribbing, commonly known by its scissoring position, is a form of non-penetrative sex in which a woman rubs her vulva against her partner's body for sexual stimulation, especially for ample stimulation of the clitoris. This may involve female-to-female genital contact or a female rubbing her vulva against her partner's thigh, stomach, buttocks, arm, or other body part (excluding the mouth). A variety of sex positions are practiced, including the missionary position. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribadism
    I wasn't really dubious as to its possibility or how it would be done, but more because it's something new around these parts.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Apart from the gender mishap, the article also says she already pleaded guilty to misdemeanors.

My answer to the topic would be: No, if it is only a misdemeanor (goes basically for all misdemeanors).
    However I would be willing to make an exception if the person has previously called/campaigned for domestic violence awareness or the like.
    Last edited by mmoc8f3116fa42; 2014-10-08 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    I don't get it. How does the butch lesbian get off?

Anybody have a video I could watch?

Get off in terms of legality? The article says she doesn't. In other terms I don't know enough to say, maybe a power thing?
    Last edited by diddle; 2014-10-09 at 12:25 AM.

I don't have a problem with it if it is after conviction. But this trend in the USA especially that companies fire or remove you based just on the charge is ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I don't have a problem with it if it is after conviction. But this trend in the USA especially that companies fire or remove you based just on the charge is ridiculous.
    I think it's always been that way, but now that rich athletes are finally being held accountable for their actions like normal people it's become some crazy notion.