10+ Year Old Account

Looking for a cooler that will fit my SPEC-03

Bought a 212 EVO for my SPEC-03, measured it with my current garbage MoBo and it won't fit, it's too big by 2mm! The ends of those heat pipes will be more than rubbing against the top part of the side panel, before it widens. If I could mount the motherboard a bit lower to take advantage of the widened side panel I might be able to get it to fit, but I'm not even going to try to do that until I have my new MoBo purchased, which won't be for a few weeks, maybe a month. It felt like I was going to break my current MoBo when I looked into installing the 212, what with it all being proprietary Gateway stuff that was never meant to be upgraded.

So, I want a new cooler I guess, one that'll fit my SPEC-03, because I really like how it looks and the size is great for me. It's not unnecessarily big like my old Merc Alpha, which the 212 also will not fit in properly. Not interested in spending more than or close to $100 CAD, I'd prefer closer to half that. Kostattoo told me about some watercooling stuff that I hadn't looked at whatsoever, the H55 and H60; Would either of these be good choices? Should I just find a regular cooler that'll fit? Should I try to jurry rig my case or MoBo positioning and stick with the 212 EVO?

For some reference if you want it, here's the thread detailing my upgrade goals, here's my proposed build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.97 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.89 @ DirectCanada) (Purchased)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ NCIX)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($87.62 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($115.98 @ DirectCanada) (Purchased)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($396.95 @ Vuugo)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.98 @ Newegg Canada) (Purchased)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.97 @ DirectCanada)
    Total: $1164.35
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-09 00:31 EDT-0400

And here's my current specs:

Code:
    MoBo: I don't even know. It came stock with my DX4850. It's an H67 with 4 RAM slots according to Chazus.
    CPU: i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Cores (Stock)
    RAM: 6GB DDR3 (stock)
    GPU: ASUS HD 7850 2GB GDDR5
    HDD: 1TB of...something. Most likely Western Digital Blue, right? (stock)
    PSU: Antec 520W
    Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2014-10-09 at 04:32 AM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    This maybe?
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhl12

I don't really know much about it but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Deleted
    The H60 at $55 is not a bad choice and will certainly fit.

Another choice could be the Zalman LQ-310 which is cheaper if you account for the rebate. Review here...

I would also report the compatibility issue to PartPicker. Spec 01, 02, and 03 are all the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    The H60 at $55 is not a bad choice and will certainly fit.

Another choice could be the Zalman LQ-310 which is cheaper if you account for the rebate. Review here...

I would also report the compatibility issue to PartPicker. Spec 01, 02, and 03 are all the same.
    I wasn't considering a color scheme for this build, but everything has lined up so nicely with black and a little red that I'm not going to go with that Zalman. Will order the H60, it's on sale boyee! I also e-mailed PartPicker about the incompatibility.
    [/url]

That's strange, I am looking at getting this case for my girlfriends new PC and I have an EVO packed away. I read a review on Newegg that said the EVO fit in the Spec-3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendor View Post
    That's strange, I am looking at getting this case for my girlfriends new PC and I have an EVO packed away. I read a review on Newegg that said the EVO fit in the Spec-3.
    I took some measurements and it looks like the top part of the copper pipes, the ends of them, will be rubbing against the side panel just before it widens into the glass.

I am very tempted to try and install that CPU cooler, but it looked like it wasn't going to be possible to get the black thing off of the back of my stock Gateway MoBo without breaking it off or something...it felt very very solid, like it wasn't meant to come off, which is why I only took measurements. If I could know for sure that I could get that stuff off without breaking my current MoBo before I get my new one then I'd give it a shot and install it.
    [/url]

Here is the quote from the guy:

Pros: Nice case that came with 3-120mm fans. It has two mounting spots for SSD's and the 3.5" trays could support SSD's as well as HDD's. Good cable management options. Two front side 3.0 USB ports.

Cons: None

Other Thoughts: I have read that there is a compatibility issue with this case and the CM Hyper 212 EVO. I was able to install the cooler and still have clearance to close the case.

If you happen to try it, let me know if it indeed does fit as my new build is about a month away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is the quote from the guy:

Pros: Nice case that came with 3-120mm fans. It has two mounting spots for SSD's and the 3.5" trays could support SSD's as well as HDD's. Good cable management options. Two front side 3.0 USB ports.

Cons: None

Other Thoughts: I have read that there is a compatibility issue with this case and the CM Hyper 212 EVO. I was able to install the cooler and still have clearance to close the case.

If you happen to try it, let me know if it indeed does fit as my new build is about a month away.
    When I get home I'll see if I can install it on my current MoBo and physically see how and if it'll fit.
    [/url]

It is possible that it wont fit with that Gateway Mobo, but fit with the new one.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is possible that it wont fit with that Gateway Mobo, but fit with the new one.
    Very annoying, as I was looking forward to putting all of this stuff together before I got the new one, just to see how it would all fit together and what lied ahead of me. The standoffs right near the CPU area, the ones that connect to the CPU cooler, did NOT want to budge.

Again, I'll see when I get home.

Edit: I'm home, going to take my rig apart and see about installing the 212 EVO. Somehow.

Going to post here for help, with pictures. Somehow.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2014-10-09 at 09:20 PM.
    [/url]

Deleted
    Seeing the hyper evo fit without touching the side panel would be very interesting to see/know. Corsair would be stupid then, it drives ppl that want a decent aftermarket cooler away from it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Seeing the hyper evo fit without touching the side panel would be very interesting to see/know. Corsair would be stupid then, it drives ppl that want a decent aftermarket cooler away from it.
    Or makes them by Corsairs own AIO heatsinks, not too shabby if you ask me

I don't think Corsair is too worried about a few of their cases not fitting the taller air heatsinks. There are plenty of other options.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great news; The 212 EVO fits, just BARELY! Kind of a weird angle for that second picture, but it shows that it's just baaaaarely edging over the width of the case with those heat pipes. With the side door on though, I felt/heard no contact, so I've got to assume that there's like millimeters of space in there.

Going to keep the H60 though, just in case I can use the 212 elsewhere. Who knows if it'll still fit with my new MoBo, could be a few millimeters higher or something.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2014-10-10 at 02:01 PM.
    [/url]

Definately close! Trying to save money on her build, good to know I can use the 212 on it.